Mooching / Downrigger Rods

Bobby

Looking at purchasing a couple new rods. Looking to spend 200-300 a rod. Time to upgrade and would appreciate some feedback . Just so many options . Going down to sportsman show in Abbotsford tomorrow maybe pick something up there.
Thanks

if you can find them, fetha stix , power mooch model, graphite,carbon fibre shark grip handle is nice.

One of my fishing buddies picked up a G Loomis moocher/downrigger rod at the 2014 Victoria Boat Show for just under $200.00 which was a bargain. These are top quality rods and normally sell in the $240 to $260 range or so. You may want to decide on the length, power and mono line strength the rod is designed for in advance.

Get somthing made to exactly what you want, maybe carbon fiber butt to easily come out of tube style rod holders, colours that match the boat or other gear, ect. What is your perfect rod?

I'm getting a lake moocher made out of a flyrod blank.

The Rapala classic moocher are great rods and can be had for 100 bucks. No need to overspend

i picked up 2 amundson rod and reels sets for 250 each. i haven't used them yet but they look good and doesn't look or feel cheap.
they were on sale at stevenson marine about a month ago.

Get somthing made to exactly what you want, maybe carbon fiber butt to easily come out of tube style rod holders, colours that match the boat or other gear, ect. What is your perfect rod?

Good call, nothing beats a custom...

Good call on the carbon grips, I tried them last year and they work great for slipping out of the holders.
I have done a few fly rods and here a couple pics of a split grip UL steelhead rod I'm in the middle of building for a local little ditch I fish

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 536
GLoomis are very good. If you want to spend less get a Shimano Technium for around $160. Light, flexible, virtually indestructible, great action.

Thanks for the feed back . I have 2 of the amundson savy s and they are a nice Rod and have caught there share of fish. Also was using a couple old glass rods Redl but they are 30 plus years and corks were bent and well used.i bought 2 GLoomis Sar 1363 11. 4 med /heavy . Also picked up a trophy reel with backing and line for 180bucks which was a great deal. I figure a guy can never have enough rods and reels and it's nice when you can upgrade . Thanks again for the info some of you passed on.

Also picked up a trophy reel with backing and line for 180bucks which was a great deal. I figure a guy can never have enough rods and reels and it's nice when you can upgrade . Thanks again for the info some of you passed on.

Where did you get the trophy for 180? Is that new?

Classic Moocher for me. Been using them since first prototype came out for a test drive. Excellent rod which stands up and great action.

There was 2 of them for sale , there was a lodge exhibit beside steveston marine at the show and the reels were
on their table . I didn't pay much attention to what lodge it was I just locked on the reels. They are like brand new not a mark on them. Apparently bought last season and used once. The cheapest I could find at the show was 329 at Army and Navy so i figured for that price why not

The rapala shift Rod is really nice will be in the $250 range and it has a 5year warranty really nice rod

Get anything except Trophy titans.. TrophyXL 10-6 which a run are twice (on year 7) as strong, and rarely hear them bust. I have never seen so many rods break.. Very common.

I like the Amundson savvy mooching rod. Good price for the performance, plus the grip is unique and durable.

Snapped a Trophy XL I had (Absolutely reefed on it though), totally my fault :)

Back