Modifications you're proud of...

Wow finaddict that cleaning table is perfect, I would love to be able to fabricate something like that for my boat...

Wow finaddict that cleaning table is perfect, I would love to be able to fabricate something like that for my boat...
Thanks Demco, but they really are not difficult to build. Starboard is the most forgiving product to work with for projects like this. All you really need is simple hand tools and an eye for what you want to get out of it. Feel free to copy and then modify to suit your boats size and layout. :cool: The most time I spent working on it was just standing in the cockpit and deciding where I wanted to put it and how was I going to fasten it. For me its all about using unused space to the maximum. on the 2300 Striper there are not a lot of places I could put it and I hated the lack of shelving along the gunwales, so I made a "combo" unit that has purpose in both settings. Looking forward to your design and pics. :D If you need any help, PM me and I'll do what I can to give you a hand.

Thanks Demco, but they really are not difficult to build. Starboard is the most forgiving product to work with for projects like this. All you really need is simple hand tools and an eye for what you want to get out of it. Feel free to copy and then modify to suit your boats size and layout. :cool: The most time I spent working on it was just standing in the cockpit and deciding where I wanted to put it and how was I going to fasten it. For me its all about using unused space to the maximum. on the 2300 Striper there are not a lot of places I could put it and I hated the lack of shelving along the gunwales, so I made a "combo" unit that has purpose in both settings. Looking forward to your design and pics. :D If you need any help, PM me and I'll do what I can to give you a hand.

I used butcher block for mine - it's the stuff butchers use for their cutting tables and was recommended by the guys at our local Industrial Plastics outlet. It's as easy to use as Starboard - basic woodworking tools. Mine can be mounted to a Scotty mount either on the engine cover or the gunwale.

IMG_0705.jpg

nice big bruce, i have a wooden fold up one i made, will post pics later, but want to make a nice one out of either the starboard or that butchers block you used, where did you get it??

nice big bruce, i have a wooden fold up one i made, will post pics later, but want to make a nice one out of either the starboard or that butchers block you used, where did you get it??

Industrial Plastics sells both butcher block and starboard. I used 1/2" stock.

if you dont mind me asking how much for the plastic box from ronco thanks for any info

I ordered from Ronco directly and they charged me approx. 50% of list price, and I think the total was maybe $140-150. Very good to work with as they would put the threaded drain holes where I wanted, and they cut the top off of tank for me. The open side needs to be lined with a stainless collar otherwise it might not hold to form. Find the size that works for you from Ronco and you have a nice product. good luck. DAJ

I found myself reaching too far over the side when dealing witth my downrigger clips. Had some time today so made a couple of these. They don't swivel but lift the riggers up about 5". Feels better but I need to get out on the water for an accurate assessment.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Also cranked out one of these.

image.jpg

Thanks. But the guys I work with are truly talented. I've only been at this since 2008 with 3 1/2 years down time due to an injury. Some of the guys I work with have been doing it for 20+ years. One guy built a shift knob last week. Exactly like a Minion from the cartoon. I don't know if anyone remembers seeing the SS eagle and dragon a guy on the lower mainland built? The top guy at the shop I help out at could do that. He's an amazing fabricator and a really good teacher.

Have done lots of mods to the old gal in the last 25 years.

About 20years ago I shortened up the engine well about 3 ft. Made for a lot more room at the stern.

Replaced the 2 front pedestial seats with ladder back seats and built the seat box on the port side.
Also installed a hatch in floor between the 2 seats and moved the 2 batteries from the old engine well forward to a existing fish hold that was only accessible from the cabin before

Originially gunnel caps and rod holder where made out of teak. Twas pretty but after 25 years needed replacing.
I used 3/4"starboard for the replacement

After fishing out of Tofino for years I decided I really needed Radar. Installed a Radar arch about 20 years ago

And about 4 years ago I found some rot in the transom around where the outboard bolt up.
Decided to use the pour method for repairs. I removed the back skin for removal of the wood and built up the transom 5'' on each side of the main. Kicker motor was mounted on a bracket before and I wanted it mounted directly to the transom
I added a couple layer of glass to the inner skin at the same time I made the 5" risers on each side of transom.

Outside skin back on and ready for pour.

Finished product

As far as which mod is my fav I would have to say all of them.

After every mod was done it felt like a had a new boat again for a while.

Bill

Really nice work Bill.

I had some l.e.d. string lights along with trim tab lights that i had purchased in the spring from ebay and finally got around to installing them a couple weeks back. Tucked them up in the gunnles and under the transom cap. These things are crazy brite!

Attachments

• 20150818_211225.jpg
    20150818_211225.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 868
  • 20150818_210852.jpg
    20150818_210852.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 869
  • 20150818_210944.jpg
    20150818_210944.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 867
Some pretty talented guys on this forum...lots of creative solutions to common problems. Thanks for sharing.

Using a jet sled in the ocean, with the low sides I was bent over dealing with the riggers. Found some scrap to make 8" risers, a little over kill but couldn't find anything smaller to work with. Can't wait to try it Saturday.

Safety is key too!
So with the design advice of Sculpin and much research I got the materials required, machined the plates as they didn't have the thickness required. Machined the angle on the tube and had a good friend tig weld it. Then finally a black hammer finish paint job to match the rod holders and viola!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Back