Mobile boat mechanic

oilslick

Just wondering if anyone knows a mobile boat mechanic to come and change out my impellers in my 2014 - 9.9 pro kicker and 2018 - 150 mercs.
I do all the other maintenance but have never tried the impellers. Had the 9.9 done two years ago, 150 never, want them switched out every two years.
Boats in Delta - River Road - want to do it in early October, will pay cash.
Send me a note or PM me if someone is interested. Thank you

Cheers

I just did my F15EXLPT (15 hp Pro kicker) 2 days ago. It’s really not too difficult and probably well within your capabilities if you do your own maintenance anyway. Probably a max 30 minute job even for your first time. Now admittedly I haven’t done a 150 hp before but it can’t be much different other than more weight holding up the lower leg. Do the 9.9 first and get a feel for the job. Really not hard at all. PM me if you want an explanation on how to do it.

Once you do it once you will wonder why you had someone else ever do it for you before. $30 for the impeller from a dealer. Probably could get it a lot cheaper, but I needed it ASAP.

Oly

Thanks Oly, I think I’ll try it on my 9.9 first to see how it goes.
I’ll give you a shout if I run into any issues. Cheers

Thanks Oly, I think I’ll try it on my 9.9 first to see how it goes.
I’ll give you a shout if I run into any issues. Cheers
Like Oly says it's easy, couple more bolts on the 150, but not rocket science. It sure isn't worth paying someone else to do.

With the Big Merc's, like our six cylinder Opti, it seemed to me the worst part, especially the first time you do it, is getting the heavy leg back on and aligned so that the transmission works and you can bolt it up.

On some outboards it is necessary to line up several things at once (driveshaft, gear shifter and water pump tube). I have found the easiest way is to wrap one of those ratchet straps under the cavitation plate and hook the ends to the lower part of the cowling Use a piece of pool noodle or similar to protect the edge of the cowling. You can then use a flashlight to peer between the gap between the cavitation plate and the lower body and use a paint stir stick with a v notch to align things up. Remember if you need to turn the propeller in order to line up the driveshaft always turn it in the direction of forward rotation.

Have changed both the Merc 200 and the Yamaha 8 HT. Go on You tube lots of good videos's. As suggested by gungadin use a strap as an extra pair o hands.

Back