MLA makes impassioned speech in the Legislature to save Thompson Steelhead

Heartening to see a politician stand up for Steelhead. Maybe we should show this to the RDG, and then have a chat about taking leadership to end gill net fisheries in the Fraser.

That was great to see, I hope more politicians and the public learn how destructive these non-selective gill nets are. Too bad Wilkinson never thought this way.

I'm not sure anything we do now can save them. Waited way too long to bring our A game, which in my mind was to have fish culture, address in-river habitat, stop all non-selective in-river harvest, and deal with pinniped predation of out-migrant smolts. Too little, too late. I wouldn't blame Wilkinson for this one...the problem dates back almost 20 years. Had we acted way back when there was a decent residual stock, it would have been possible to try rebuilding when we had something to actually work with. Waiting until its down to 80 or so fish is a joke. Some are suggesting the resident trout will somehow take up anadromy and re-establish the steelhead run. Theoretically possible I suppose but highly unlikely.

wa wa wa, who cares at this point. Did you guys read the Sara report. Even under a Sara rebuilding listing they figured it would take 25+ years (under Ideal ocean conditions) to get the population back up to 1000 fish. This would be the perfect scenario and doing everything possible including a 60 day window of shutting down all fishing across this coast. As well as hatchery enhancement, habitat work, banning water extraction by farmers ect...

All this plus keeping First Nations off the water and DFO certainly does not have the power to do that. There is a rumor out there that this year first nations on the Fraser harvested up wards of 100k chinook. This rumor apparently was propagated by a DFO biologist who looked at the Albian catch VS how much fish actually made it to the Thompson to spawn. There apparently is a HUGE discrepancy.

Waiting until its down to 80 or so fish is a joke. Some are suggesting the resident trout will somehow take up anadromy and re-establish the steelhead run. Theoretically possible I suppose but highly unlikely.

Yeah in a thousand years with no humans on this earth it is possible.

Last edited:
Bob Hooton
November 22, 2019 at 5:14 am

The problem in BC is our provincial government is a bed partner of DFO. Between our Premier whose principle secretary is a major advocate of commercial fishing (especially the gill net fleet), his advisory council whose most prominent spokesperson is the head of the commercial fishers union and the designated hitter for the provincial government with respect to all interactions with DFO, the Minister of Agriculture, its a complete shutout forsteelhead. That Agriculture Minister is responsible for licensing the shore based commercial fish processing industry (including farmed fish) so it shouldn’t be hard to see the bigger picture here. Steelhead are just a goddamn impediment to all that our governments intend to accomplish. Throw in “reconciliation” and the hard truth that fish are its primary currency and how can anyone see light down that tunnel?

Back