Mixing bottom paint types advice

My buddy is looking to repaint the bottom paint on a boat he bought in the US. The issue is the paint is from Sea Hawk called Cukote ablative and it’s only available in the States. I have heard it’s bad to mix types of bottom paints but does anyone know a brand/type we can get here that will be ok with the old bottom paint?

Interlux Micron CSC is an ablative type bottom paint that is available here and having been using it myself for many years now,can highly recommend.The nice thing about these types of bottom paint is that virtually no prep work is nessesary for recoating
over top of the old paint.If you contacted Interlux,they would probably be able to tell you if it's compatible or not.Their customer support has also been good to me in the past.

My buddy is looking to repaint the bottom paint on a boat he bought in the US. The issue is the paint is from Sea Hawk called Cukote ablative and it’s only available in the States. I have heard it’s bad to mix types of bottom paints but does anyone know a brand/type we can get here that will be ok with the old bottom paint?
Do not cover soft paint with hard paint, you can cover hard paint with soft paint but not the other way around

Since the Sea Hawk is ablative, would that be considered soft paint?
Hard paint and soft paint are both ablative, hard paint is epoxi base, soft paint wash off with time, hard paint stay on but the ablative wash off with time, google the paint you have on your both to see , but an easy way to no is if its almost washed off iits a soft paint, if its still on and just faded a bit its a hard paint, hope the makes sense

Ok thanks. According to the manufactures website, they say Cukote is semi-hard. So what does that mean...
Never esr that term before, but i assume its a hard paint, if its good comdition, make sure its clean, no salt, dirt, grease,loose flakes comming off and all that good stuff, and paint a hard bottom paint over it, i just did mine last weekend, i use interlux xxx, cheaper then csc and olds up good, 3 year since i did it last and prob would of been good this year, but add the boat on block, (trailer repairs) so i just cave it a nice shinny coat lol

Ok thanks for your help. I’ll suggest to my buddy he goes with a hard paint like xxx.
Never esr that term before, but i assume its a hard paint, if its good comdition, make sure its clean, no salt, dirt, grease,loose flakes comming off and all that good stuff, and paint a hard bottom paint over it, i just did mine last weekend, i use interlux xxx, cheaper then csc and olds up good, 3 year since i did it last and prob would of been good this year, but add the boat on block, (trailer repairs) so i just cave it a nice shinny coat lol
holy ****,i read my post,my writing sucks lol,frenchy writing English with a iPhone and big fingers lol

Back