Mink for flies

gungadin

So my better half says that since we are not supposed to go out into the real world, (COVID)we had better clean up some old trunks in the basement. Ok so she found a mink half jacket from probably the 40's, used to belong to a great aunt i think.
Question any good for making flies, or just toss it out? No she won't wear it.

So my better half says that since we are not supposed to go out into the real world, (COVID)we had better clean up some old trunks in the basement. Ok so she found a mink half jacket from probably the 40's, used to belong to a great aunt i think.
Question any good for making flies, or just toss it out? No she won't wear it.

Have you got a pic of this jacket? At my house, everything is first classified as fly tying material before it's considered for other uses. (kidding, kind of) lol My old man and I bought a goatskin rug many years ago. We chopped it into pieces much to the horror of many. It made awesome salmon flies for coho fishing, was a great substitute for polar bear hair.

I would think Mink would make awesome dubbing for flies such as leeches. I'd try to sell it on usedvictoria or such. There are some ladies that buy up old mink coats for making teddy bears.

Have you got a pic of this jacket? At my house, everything is first classified as fly tying material before it's considered for other uses. (kidding, kind of) lol My old man and I bought a goatskin rug many years ago. We chopped it into pieces much to the horror of many. It made awesome salmon flies for coho fishing, was a great substitute for polar bear hair.
Yes I will take a picture tomorrow and post it here

with a fur lined hat, you are fishing all winter.
seen similar in Sally Ann stores, price reasonable.
Hair is short, and sewing probably difficult.

Back