Minimal risk to wild Fraser River sockeye due to pathogen transfer from BC Salmon Farms

O its
Yup a road not traveled. Sure would have been great if this project would have been fleshed out and acted upon as this would have been completed by now. Maybe we would be having beers or fishing together as I'm sure you're an interesting guy.
Oh its traveled, just a new road. I posted it here already. Same post has 70% steelhead smolts traveling thru Johnson strait, etc.

That's funny to you? Doesn't surprise me.
Yup too funny... Your combining operating budgets with taxpayers bailout funding. And why is it say Abbotsford avian farms are allowed to be bailed out at the tune of 1.5M for disease but you have a problem with other farm bailouts??? Funny

where does the money for that budget come from? The taxpayer. Must have a pretty good budget if they can afford to bail out the farmers when their fish die off from disease. Or afford to subsidize the industry to the tune of millions each year...
Well first you need to understand the legislation and the conditions compensation is provided. Then you will need to have some understanding on how the BC fish farm industry takes a proactive approach nowadays to reportable diseases like IHN before confirmation by the CFIA. Nice to know you are so knowledgeable about the departmental budget, but the department doesn’t bail out fish farmers out their budget. Then you need to understand how much a culled farmed fish under marketable size is worth compared to a farm fish that is raised to marketable size. When you have looked into this then come back with your questions.

If government wasn't in bed with the FF industry and actually did their job of regulating rather than promoting and subsidizing, you probably wouldn't see as many NGO's and even just members of the general public (which there are many) trying to shed light on the filthy fish farm industry. The government has had to be sued to be held accountable (sadly) in regard to this industry. They could care less as they have an open checkbook. It's called "the taxpayer" ...
Can't let this go. We just went through post after post of "muzzled" scientists and "government coverups". Since you are now taking up the mantle, I will ask the exact same thing I asked AA. Can you provide one single proof of evidence that this is occurring? Your favourite poster to like couldn't. In fact, every item he provided proved the exact opposite. Now, since you are certain the FF industry is in bed with the government, can you tell me where AM's funding comes from? She has been asked countless times, and suffers from Amnesia on this. Perhaps you could tell us who the anti-ff lobby is in bed with? You don't get to accuse unless you are prepared to answer the same question. I was prepared to accept the evidence AA supplied, except, there was no evidence. So, put it up for us all to see! If you don't have this, stop spreading lies.

Can't let this go. We just went through post after post of "muzzled" scientists and "government coverups". Since you are now taking up the mantle, I will ask the exact same thing I asked AA. Can you provide one single proof of evidence that this is occurring? Your favourite poster to like couldn't. In fact, every item he provided proved the exact opposite. Now, since you are certain the FF industry is in bed with the government, can you tell me where AM's funding comes from? She has been asked countless times, and suffers from Amnesia on this. Perhaps you could tell us who the anti-ff lobby is in bed with? You don't get to accuse unless you are prepared to answer the same question. I was prepared to accept the evidence AA supplied, except, there was no evidence. So, put it up for us all to see! If you don't have this, stop spreading lies.

Its just a cover for results they dont like. Really that simple.

But I've always found it curious how these types of people are always talking about how corrupt/inept/inefficient Government is, yet they always seem to think the solution to the problem is giving them more power to regulate/tax.

Personally, I dont understand the logic.

But I've always found it curious how these types of people are always talking about how corrupt/inept/inefficient Government is, yet they always seem to think the solution to the problem is giving them more power to regulate/tax.

And not the first time we've seen the exact same playbook executed on this forum.

I would say that the Ministry of Environment under the liberal government under minister Mary Polack has dropped the ball on numerous industrial projects last years few years. That is a fact. Regardless of how we all feel about the discharge why did the BC government as well as Environment Canada not follow up with farms? Are they not permitted? Why at very least an annual follow up? Why was the process of disinfection not followed?

How is that not an inefficiency in government? Seems pretty black and white if you ask me.

What makes you thing that these subsidies and bail outs are any different from what other farming sectors receive. If you compair the salmon farm bail outs in BBC are minuscule. I have presented this in the past.
Are the other farming sectors mainly owned by foreign multi-billion dollar companies? Or are many of them your independent mom and pop operation that purchase their own crop insurance? Either way, 2 wrongs don't make a right and the multi-billion dollar fish farms can more than afford their own bail outs.

Yup too funny... Your combining operating budgets with taxpayers bailout funding. And why is it say Abbotsford avian farms are allowed to be bailed out at the tune of 1.5M for disease but you have a problem with other farm bailouts??? Funny
Interesting you mention this about avian farms. Can you show me where these farms were bailed out? When I google abbotsford avian farm bailout The term bailout comes up once and this is the sentence that it's in...
"While request for government bailouts to the industry were rejected some still criticize the industry for endangering itself by concentrating itself so much in such a small geographic area."
http://www.abbotsfordtoday.ca/avian-flu-in-abbotsford-chilliwack/

maybe your search results can show me where they've been bailed out?

also interesting is how these viruses can completely wipe out a facility and also infect other facilities in the area. (even many kilometers away) I'm sure many can draw parallel's between the problems in an industry when you cram many farmed animals in a confined area and how it doesn't take much for highly pathogenic viruses to take root and flourish. And I'm sure some here will dismiss the parallels.

"Adaptation is not exclusive. Being adapted toward a particular species does not preclude adaptations, or partial adaptations, toward infecting different species. In this way, strains of influenza viruses are adapted to multiple species, though may be preferential toward a particular host."

Also, when a turkey farm or chicken farm has this virus they are quarantined. How do you quarantine an open net pen fish farm? Some of those fish farms with the diseased fish look like they should have been quarantined. Is it even possible? didn't look like any attempt had been made to cull or get rid of the obviously (to most) diseased fish.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ed-at-2-fraser-valley-poultry-farms-1.2857930
"4th outbreak since 2005
The outbreak is the fourth in the Fraser Valley since 2005.

In 2009, an outbreak of avian flu in the same region led to the quarantine of several farms

In another Fraser Valley outbreak in November 2005, two duck farms were infected with the H5N2 strain of the virus.

In 2004, an H7-type flu transformed into a highly contagious strain. Farm after farm was quarantined until finally about 15 million birds — almost the entire valley poultry population — were destroyed."

Coming to a fish farm near you?

different strains, different types, different subtypes. viruses mutate. Is this the chance we want to take with disease and virus with our wild salmon? Our governments and some here do, sadly.
When they do succumb to a disease or virus passed on from a fish farm they will just eventually sink or disappear or become food for a predator since they will have been compromised with a weak immune system. Convenient for the fish farms as any dead wild salmon that succumb to the spread of their disease will be out of sight, and out of mind.

So, we have this or something similar to this I believe, to help protect the other avian farms from possible contamination when one farm has become infected with avian flu.

"Isolation and quarantine help protect the flocks or birds or man by preventing exposure to infected birds or flocks who may have a contagious disease such as avian flu.
Isolation means that separates sick flock(s) or birds with a contagious disease from others who are not sick.
Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people and flocks who were exposed to avian flu to see if they become sick, and may be followed by depopulation and disposal of infected and exposed poultry, and disposal of contaminated products and materials, on infected and dangerous contact premises.
The initial quarantine zones will include a 3.2 km (2-mile) infected or high risk zone”, and a 8 km (5-mile) surveillance zone"

So how do we do this with fish farms that have disease and virus?

here's another...
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...detected-in-southern-ontario/article30848857/

"Avian flu doesn't pose a risk to food safety when poultry products are properly handled and cooked.

Bird flu rarely poses a risk to people who don't have constant contact with infected birds.

A highly pathogenic subtype of the same virus caused outbreaks in Ontario and British Columbia last year. Canada had previously been free of notifiable avian influenza since last October."

Interesting that this (pathogenic subtype) virus doesn't pose food safety. And it doesn't pose health safety, yet they will go to lengths to destroy all the birds and set up large isolation zones and do mass decontamination's... Why?
To help control the spread of the virus to other birds and farms in the region that aren't already infected.

I guess wild pacific salmon are different though. All the viruses (and pathogenic subtypes) are taken care of through inoculations that cover all diseases. At least the ones that CFIA chooses to have on their list of reportable diseases. Seems that's what we're told anyway...

Last edited:
It's the lol, snub your nose in the air attitudes like that, which are why your industry will never get any sympathy from me or many other members of the public... so laugh away at something as serious as pathogenic disease and virus from open net pen fish farms on our wild salmon migratory routes.... just a laughing matter to many fish farm supporters as you've shown.

Nono you just posting some long winded story about avian, lol wth does that have to do with salmon? Lol.
You asked so here
ABBOTSFORD - Mark Warawa, member of Parliament for Langley, on behalf of Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz, and members of the legislative assembly in B.C. for Abbotsford South and Abbotsford-Mission, Darryl Plecas and Simon Gibson, on behalf of B.C. Agriculture Minister Norm Letnick, announced funding for two initiatives worth up to $1.58 million to help B.C. poultry producers re-establish their operations and mitigate the impact of future risks following an outbreak of notifiable avian influenza in the Fraser Valley this past winter.

Sadly, sports fisherman can't accept they are part of the problem re declining salmonid populations . Salmon farms offer a perfect scapegoat so anglers have something to blame.

Sadly, sports fisherman can't accept they are part of the problem re declining salmonid populations . Salmon farms offer a perfect scapegoat so anglers have something to blame.

This hatred
Are the other farming sectors mainly owned by foreign multi-billion dollar companies? Or are many of them your independent mom and pop operation that purchase their own crop insurance? Either way, 2 wrongs don't make a right and the multi-billion dollar fish farms can more than afford their own bail outs.

Interesting you mention this about avian farms. Can you show me where these farms were bailed out? When I google abbotsford avian farm bailout The term bailout comes up once and this is the sentence that it's in...
"While request for government bailouts to the industry were rejected some still criticize the industry for endangering itself by concentrating itself so much in such a small geographic area."
http://www.abbotsfordtoday.ca/avian-flu-in-abbotsford-chilliwack/

maybe your search results can show me where they've been bailed out?

also interesting is how these viruses can completely wipe out a facility and also infect other facilities in the area. (even many kilometers away) I'm sure many can draw parallel's between the problems in an industry when you cram many farmed animals in a confined area and how it doesn't take much for highly pathogenic viruses to take root and flourish. And I'm sure some here will dismiss the parallels.

"Adaptation is not exclusive. Being adapted toward a particular species does not preclude adaptations, or partial adaptations, toward infecting different species. In this way, strains of influenza viruses are adapted to multiple species, though may be preferential toward a particular host."

Also, when a turkey farm or chicken farm has this virus they are quarantined. How do you quarantine an open net pen fish farm? Some of those fish farms with the diseased fish look like they should have been quarantined. Is it even possible? didn't look like any attempt had been made to cull or get rid of the obviously (to most) diseased fish.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ed-at-2-fraser-valley-poultry-farms-1.2857930
"4th outbreak since 2005
The outbreak is the fourth in the Fraser Valley since 2005.

In 2009, an outbreak of avian flu in the same region led to the quarantine of several farms

In another Fraser Valley outbreak in November 2005, two duck farms were infected with the H5N2 strain of the virus.

In 2004, an H7-type flu transformed into a highly contagious strain. Farm after farm was quarantined until finally about 15 million birds — almost the entire valley poultry population — were destroyed."

Coming to a fish farm near you?

different strains, different types, different subtypes. viruses mutate. Is this the chance we want to take with disease and virus with our wild salmon? Our governments and some here do, sadly.
When they do succumb to a disease or virus passed on from a fish farm they will just eventually sink or disappear or become food for a predator since they will have been compromised with a weak immune system. Convenient for the fish farms as any dead wild salmon that succumb to the spread of their disease will be out of sight, and out of mind.

So, we have this or something similar to this I believe, to help protect the other avian farms from possible contamination when one farm has become infected with avian flu.

"Isolation and quarantine help protect the flocks or birds or man by preventing exposure to infected birds or flocks who may have a contagious disease such as avian flu.
Isolation means that separates sick flock(s) or birds with a contagious disease from others who are not sick.
Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people and flocks who were exposed to avian flu to see if they become sick, and may be followed by depopulation and disposal of infected and exposed poultry, and disposal of contaminated products and materials, on infected and dangerous contact premises.
The initial quarantine zones will include a 3.2 km (2-mile) infected or high risk zone”, and a 8 km (5-mile) surveillance zone"

So how do we do this with fish farms that have disease and virus?

here's another...
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...detected-in-southern-ontario/article30848857/

"Avian flu doesn't pose a risk to food safety when poultry products are properly handled and cooked.

Bird flu rarely poses a risk to people who don't have constant contact with infected birds.

A highly pathogenic subtype of the same virus caused outbreaks in Ontario and British Columbia last year. Canada had previously been free of notifiable avian influenza since last October."

Interesting that this (pathogenic subtype) virus doesn't pose food safety. And it doesn't pose health safety, yet they will go to lengths to destroy all the birds and set up large isolation zones and do mass decontamination's... Why?
To help control the spread of the virus to other birds and farms in the region that aren't already infected.

I guess wild pacific salmon are different though. All the viruses (and pathogenic subtypes) are taken care of through inoculations that cover all diseases. At least the ones that CFIA chooses to have on their list of reportable diseases. Seems that's what we're told anyway...

Just grow those chickens in closed containment in the ocean. Problem solved. lol Sarcasm. Ill take my chicken farmed on land where they belong thanks.

This hatred

Just grow those chickens in closed containment in the ocean. Problem solved. lol Sarcasm. Ill take my chicken farmed on land where they belong thanks.
Well they do grow chickens in closed containment farms now don't they. Biosecurity is the reason why, we don't want virus passed from wild to farmed animals now do we. Let's see what your industry does for biosecurity....

"SOPs are in place to minimize the contact of farmed salmon with wild animals. These measures may include the use of predator nets outside the fish containment nets as well as bird nets affixed to the top of the cages."
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/Publications/ResDocs-DocRech/2017/2017_072-eng.pdf

so that's it.... 60 pages of "British Columbia farmed Atlantic Salmon health management practices" and all we have is two sentences. WTFO

If that's the case then we should try an experiment like..... let's not keep wild coho in the SoG for twenty years and see if the stocks rebound. Oh wait we tried that one and you just have to ask anyone on this forum if that worked out.

If that's the case then we should try an experiment ... like let's not keep wild coho in the SoG for twenty years and see if the stocks rebound. Oh wait we tried that one and you just have to ask anyone on this forum if that worked.

The coho story is a loss of habitat this is well known. Coho often spawn in very small streams. These streams are being developed around constantly and in lots of cases being destroyed by development. Dfo budget was massively cut and they basically now just auto approve developments with never visiting the site of development. This is a totally different subject but sports fishmen conveniently like to use it to show how they sports fishing is not making an impact.

That's just what the DFO biologist who is retired now told me.

Last edited:
Back