Milltown Marina Dry Stacking

ronin2024

I was thinking of dry stacking my boat at Milltown Marina and I was wondering if any of you guys have used this service. I have an 18 foot Kingfisher and was concerned about saltwater and corrosion because of not being able to wash down the boat and flushing the engine. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Salty Alice spends much of the year there and it’s great. It is a fair run up the river and while it is still tidal it is more brackish by that point, so you partially flush as you drive up the river. The piloting guide has more details on the salinity wedge in the Fraser but I believe with some tides the salinity is greatly reduced. There are usually water hookups you can borrow to hose down the top side of your boat before putting it away.

The ease of getting your boat launched (just an email) means you will likely use your boat more.

Bonus is the pub there which is a great place for a pint post-fishing.

I had a boat there. I never launched but when I purchased the boat the owner was storing it there and I left it over the winter. Great facility.

i had a boat there but after $12,000 damage to the bottom of my boat, i am not there anymore. was always a crap shoot if your boat was launched as well. and no more crowded valet dock

It’s awesome. Good facility and good service. You can wash down the boat every time you take it out at the valet dock (spray it off with fresh water). If you want to do a more detailed cleaning you will pay to put it in the works area although your anual fees include a couple of times in the works area. 20 minutes run to Wreck Beach. 40 minutes to Roger Curtis.

Just be aware you must give 30 days notice of vacating or they keep your security deposit. This was in the contract which I never read because the manager told me I could do month to month and terminate at any time. Later I found out that she was fired and this was not the case. @Floater

The water there is not brackish. Had my boat there for three years before I moved to the island. My time there was not without issue. There was damage done to my boat by the launching crew that was not reported. When I brought it to the attention of management they paid for the repairs. The lift seemed to break down more often than I would like. Launching on certain tides was an issue, which could really throw a wrench in your plans.

Overall, for my situation it worked well for me. Price is similar to moorage, and like you I didn't want my aluminum in the water full time. Not sure how full it is there these days, but if not full you might be able to negotiate a better price than their advertised rates.

i had a boat there but after $12,000 damage to the bottom of my boat, i am not there anymore. was always a crap shoot if your boat was launched as well. and no more crowded valet dock

What type of damaged did you have? Did they fix it?

Just be aware you must give 30 days notice of vacating or they keep your security deposit. This was in the contract which I never read because the manager told me I could do month to month and terminate at any time. Later I found out that she was fired and this was not the case. @Floater
Where the Cap’n got me was that while we agreed on a 2 month stint paid in advance (with another months deposit), they didn’t put an end date on the contract, so he used that as an excuse to keep my deposit.

All in all, its a good facility, but the Captain, I found, was a bit slimy.

Where the Cap’n got me was that while we agreed on a 2 month stint paid in advance (with another months deposit), they didn’t put an end date on the contract, so he used that as an excuse to keep my deposit.

All in all, its a good facility, but the Captain, I found, was a bit slimy.

Agreed It was nice facilities no doubt. I'm trying skyline now. Reminds me of sunny shores

The water there is not brackish. Had my boat there for three years before I moved to the island. My time there was not without issue. There was damage done to my boat by the launching crew that was not reported. When I brought it to the attention of management they paid for the repairs. The lift seemed to break down more often than I would like. Launching on certain tides was an issue, which could really throw a wrench in your plans.

Overall, for my situation it worked well for me. Price is similar to moorage, and like you I didn't want my aluminum in the water full time. Not sure how full it is there these days, but if not full you might be able to negotiate a better price than their advertised rates.

Did they advise you when the lift broke down? I would hate to go all the way there to find out that my boat is not available. I was talking with them and they said they need about 2 hours notice. Is that a pretty accurate?
Is the dock safe in regards to theft? Like would you leave your D/R on board?

Normally the boats in the water within an hour although I think they have 1.5 hours to launch once you email your request from starting time of operations. Never had a theft issue in 4 years. My experience has all been good with staff. They damaged my 360 and replaced it same day with a quality part. Overall in my view it’s the best place in town. It’s secure, concrete docks, great works area, fresh water after use to wash down your boat. I’ll tell you there is now normally a waiting list. Tip the dock guys occasionally. They do good work. The lift has broken down a couple of times. **** happens. They do their best always. One time they bought me lunch while they repaired it.

There were a few imes I drove out to find my boat not launched for various reasons with no communication. I think they were getting better about that before I left.

Heard some kickers were stolen from the marina once, but overall I think the docks were pretty safe, as least as safe as any other dock in the lower mainland.

What type of damaged did you have? Did they fix it?
cracks to the bottom of my hull right where it sat on the bunk, right on a partial lift strike. they told me to pound sand and they were not liable, did not even pay my deductible.

a lot of people /adjusters and repairers looked at it and all deemed it was from rough handling/dropping into the cradle

Was there for a season, wouldnt do it again. Poor communication when the lift was unavailable, gouges on the hull where it sat on the bunk, then they told me my boat was too big and i had to be in a slip for alot more money.
The manager is a slime ball for sure.

Do you have a fiberglass or Aluminum boat?

Back