Mid Size 7 seat SUV with a little towing

kaelc

Wife's car was written off Tuesday, Mazda 3 rear ended by 80's bronco. Her and the kid are feeling ok so far, thanks to the crumple zone. With her off on Matt leave we have some time to shop around for the best used SUV out there.

Looking for a 2015 or newer safe SUV that can seat 6 but I think most are 7 seaters. Used Kia's Sorento's are looking pretty affordable and the V6 can tow 3500, if I or a buddy gets a small boat some day :)

Any recommendations out there, the larger SUV's might be a little too big for our garage as a Short Box Tunda Crew Cab barely fit in our garage when I measured it up and we need to be able to walk by.

We have a 2016 4runner limited. Its a full frame vehicle and hauls just fine, and with hi / low 4wd when she wants to jump some curbs at whole foods. We've had it since new and its our 3rd. I would drive it full time but she isn't having it. Its not the best on gas but it drives very well and with the full time and I don't worry if she's caught out in ****** conditions, I also add 4 snows that I gotta install this weekend. The kids actually like the 3rd row seating and you can split it so there's still some room back there.

Sorry to hear of the crash hope no one was injured. Good luck.

Oh ya best feature for us anyway with a dog is the rear hatch window retracts. Its a big help and convenience not sure of any others which do the same.

Yeah I had the Frontier for many years and my brother still has his Pathfinder from the Mid 2000's. Other than gas mileage and automatic transmissions they were pretty good. Just lacking the safety features of a new car. Leaning pretty heavily towards @zurk 's suggestion of a highlander. Inventories are pretty tight right now so tough to find a good used one especially here on the island. Appreciate the feedback and everyone is doing pretty well a few days later.

Used Toyotas don't make financial sense with their inflated prices. By the time you factor wear and tear into the price it's better to buy new.

I’ve never been a fan of any of the foreign vehicles. We have been running SUV’s for the wife for the last 25 years. Started with a couple Jeep Cherokee’s then into a Ford Explorer then an Escape now she’s running a GMC Terrain. They have all been excellent vehicles with minimal issues with any of them. Her Escape she drove for 300 plus km and we never did a thing to that little unit. Her Terrain now has a little over 100 on it it’s never been back to the shop for anything other than regular services. My point is don’t overlook the domestic models either. The Ford Explorer is an excellent vehicle and more than beefy enough to do what you want with it.

To me it’s always been important to support Canadian and at the least North American plants and workers rather than foreign factories, they get enough of our money the way it is.

Last edited:
Used Toyotas don't make financial sense with their inflated prices. By the time you factor wear and tear into the price it's better to buy new.
I disagree, as the resale remains high. So even if you keep it a couple years and sell it you can often get close to or sometimes even MORE than you bought it for! Have seen it happen more than once.

As it’ll be used for towing, you should be aware that Nissan grossly undersizes their brakes and thus if you’re considering one you should consider upgrading them (common issue w/ many brands of SUVs). Owned both Pathfinders and 4Runners and there is no comparison, even though 4Runners are too expensive and haven’t been updated in over a decade (and are gas pigs), they’re a much, much better vehicle.

Cheers!

Ukee

brake servicing is huge for the toyota trucks, those pads get jammed in the calipers and on the pins for the pads. If you dont service them every 4-6 months your going to wear through brakes all the time, and have huge warping issues.

brake servicing is huge for the toyota trucks, those pads get jammed in the calipers and on the pins for the pads. If you dont service them every 4-6 months your going to wear through brakes all the time, and have huge warping issues.
Interesting . What do you mean service them? Change pads or service the calipers? I have a 99 runner and definitely have warping issues . Just change rotors and pads when I do the brakes and it’s time for a new brake job too.

Sorry to derail thread ..

I’m curious as well as we’re looking at a Forerunner for the wife to get her out of the soccer mom van! I had multiple Tacoma’s before going bigger and loved the trucks!

Back