mercury 60 hp efi, 60 hp bigfoot or yamaha f70 ?

zurk

mercury 60 hp efi, 60 hp bigfoot or yamaha f70 - which one to chose ?
all are 2014 models, boat is rated at 70hp max.

My buddy has the F70 yamaha and is very happy with it.
If the concern is weight, they are very close with the
merc 60hp weighing 260lbs while the Yamaha is 253 lbs.

mainly been using mercs so concern is getting parts and service for the yamaha in van.
merc has practically everyone as dealers.

I'd buy Mercury as they are much easier to deal with if you have a warranty issue. Plus they don't seem to have the same internal and external corrosion issues that Yamaha try's to hide from.

Buy a yamaha f50 and pull the air restriction washer in the intake and you will have a 60 or 70hp.

I think they're all pretty good these days, if dealer support is better go with the Merc. :)

ya well the tradeoff is a loss of 10HP with the merc and the merc has more expensive gauges than the yammy ($900 ish vs $200 ish). :/
all in gauges+motor price is :
yammy is 8794+70(crate fee)-650(limited rebate)=$8214+$200=$8414
merc 60 efi is $7556+$900=$8456
merc bigfoot is $7749+$900=$8649
inclined to go with the yammy.

I agree, approx same money and you get 10 more HP.
Buddy's has been flawless over the last 3 years...
good luck !

IMO always power to the max hp

I agree but there are times when the 2 motors are the same only de tuned

Remove part 6 make F50 into F60. This is the same on with the 75-90 yamaha. I have not done this myself but I have heard from a few people how have with success
a6da73409a0566d0411ecefd1d35add1.jpg

As I said I have never done this myself but I have read lots about it and heard good things. Pretty hard to hurt a engine by feeding it more air. It's just a washer with holes in it that restrict the air running into the motor. Engines like air!

Pretty hard to hurt a engine by feeding it more air. It's just a washer with holes in it that restrict the air running into the motor. Engines like air!

Actually the fasted way to melt a piston is to lean an engine out...........unfortunately this is something I have much experience in LOL

If your simply making more power by leaning out the engine its very short lived gains..............

My money says the ecms will have different part #s (the lower hp one may be able to be flashed but?) because more HP will require more fuel curve for long term survival.

if youre buying a motor buy it new and buy it the HP you want. anything else is just asking for trouble.
i would rather get the full factory warranty, follow the service plan and run it the manufacturers recommended HP and be done with it.

Actually the fasted way to melt a piston is to lean an engine out...........unfortunately this is something I have much experience in LOL

If your simply making more power by leaning out the engine its very short lived gains..............

My money says the ecms will have different part #s (the lower hp one may be able to be flashed but?) because more HP will require more fuel curve for long term survival.

Pretty Sure the mass air flow sensor tell the ECM that more air is entering the unit. At this point the ECM can increase the fuel to make the correct mixture. I will post a link that I learned about this from and you guys can judge for yourselves

Back