Mercruiser 4.3l

Orion4x4

I’ve got a mercruiser 4.3l in my 21’ trophy. It’s got a crack in the block. Anyone have suggestions on where to look for a new long block or even a low hour used one? Thanks in advance guys

I’ve got a mercruiser 4.3l in my 21’ trophy. It’s got a crack in the block. Anyone have suggestions on where to look for a new long block or even a low hour used one? Thanks in advance guys
Have you considered podding it?

Have you considered podding it?
I would love to and that is definitely the plan down the road but the budget isn’t there right now. The cost of a decent condition outboard is too high. Especially with all the extras to do it right.

Had mine done last year the long block came from Ontario and was a Reman, with one year warranty. Cost just under $4400. Not sure where my mechanic purchased it from, but maybe if you contact Elite Marine in Sidney they can help you. I looked up my invoice but it just gives the price, not the supplier

Thanks for looking. I saw those. I’ve flipped back and forth between replacing what I have with the same or podding and going outboard and these prices have me flipping back to podding.
Canada engine in surrey have all kinds of marine engines,they reman on the spot,they do install too,i replace a merc 5.0 littre in my bayliner in 2005 from them and the thing ran like a champ for 6 years,cant remember the
exact cost but it was like 4000 $ or so installation included they also had to cut out the old mounts as they were rusted to the motor,in and out in a couple of days

You may want to visit a good Chevy dealer and check out GM marine long blocks. Or personally I’d have no issue with Canada engines either.

I had a older Astro Van I was parting out a few years ago,
I bought it for the tranny. The guy who bought the motor wanted it to replace his 4.3 merc. He had done bis homework and needed a specific year block for it to work for his application. Same problem, cracked block. I sold it to him for $400 which was what I paid for the van. If you are looking to get a few more cheap years before moving to a pod it might be the way to go.

You may want to visit a good Chevy dealer and check out GM marine long blocks. Or personally I’d have no issue with Canada engines either.
crate engines from a dealer is going to be pricy,from what I can read from his post he wants to get back on the water without breaking the bank

crate engines from a dealer is going to be pricy,from what I can read from his post he wants to get back on the water without breaking the bank
That could be. I haven’t looked but they were great bang for the buck back in the target master days. No harm in asking though. 9 or 10 grand for a 4.3 long installed in that boat is out to lunch. IMO.

I looked into a new crate engine but had no luck. Mine was Volvo Penta and they have updated the 4.3 so it will no longer pair to the older drive. I was told if I purchased new,it would run around 22K for the engine and a new outdrive. What was really frustrating was how quickly,what had been a common engine,was now unavailable. Even considered Michigan Motors in the US but with shipping etc, it just didn’t work

That could be. I haven’t looked but they were great bang for the buck back in the target master days. No harm in asking though. 9 or 10 grand for a 4.3 long installed in that boat is out to lunch. IMO.
Agreed on that, i would not pay that for a crate engine lol

I looked into a new crate engine but had no luck. Mine was Volvo Penta and they have updated the 4.3 so it will no longer pair to the older drive. I was told if I purchased new,it would run around 22K for the engine and a new outdrive. What was really frustrating was how quickly,what had been a common engine,was now unavailable. Even considered Michigan Motors in the US but with shipping etc, it just didn’t work
At those numbers i would pod and outboard any day

I had a older Astro Van I was parting out a few years ago,
I bought it for the tranny. The guy who bought the motor wanted it to replace his 4.3 merc. He had done bis homework and needed a specific year block for it to work for his application. Same problem, cracked block. I sold it to him for $400 which was what I paid for the van. If you are looking to get a few more cheap years before moving to a pod it might be the way to go.
I’m thinking this is the route that I may end up with due to budget constraints. I’m definitely going pod down the road but this will get me on the water this summer instead of having a fishless freezer.

I’m thinking this is the route that I may end up with due to budget constraints. I’m definitely going pod down the road but this will get me on the water this summer instead of having a fishless freezer.
Give Canada engines a call. That’s a pretty simple engine and not a hard re/re at all. I’d be curious what they are asking these days.

Back