Merc Kicker Question.

Willywonka

Hey all,
Looking for some advice/opinions here.

I have a 2 Merc 9.9 Kickers. Both 2014 year.

Kicker #1: 9.9 short shaft, pull start, tiller control:
- 1 hr run time. It’s virtually new but something let go in the lower gear case on the Short shaft leg. Dealer said it will be super expensive to repair. So I’m left with a “as new” powerhead.

Kicker. #2. 9.9 Pro Bigfoot model. Electric start/trim and Remote controls:
- Unknown runtime (but former owner said its high hours). Said it doesn’t run but needs a $300 part. (Unsure what’s exactly is needed at this point). The engine appears pretty tired. Rust/Corrosion etc.

I’d like to combine the two to make one good running setup. It will need to have the Bigfoot leg/remote start/trim etc. to use it as a reliable kicker on my 26’ NWAC.

my dilemma is this....

Take engine parts (Could even use the block and everything) from the short shaft to the Bigfoot?

or....

replace the broken short shaft leg with the Bigfoot leg and take the electric start/trim/remote controls and all associated parts and reinstall on the “as new” 9.9.

hopefully I didn’t confuse anyone. Just not sure which setup to Cannibalize.

I have a good shop/tools setup and am not scared to dive in on my own.

any advice appreciated!

cheers.

I would replace the broken short shaft leg with the Bigfoot leg and take the electric start/trim/remote controls and all associated parts and reinstall on the “as new” 9.9.

Ok so I’ll dive into switching the leg and other goodies over to the other engine.
It’s a bit of a shot in the dark but does anyone have a link to a manual or any type of instructions?

shouldn’t be to bad I think but always helpful to read up beforehand.
Cheers

Kevin.

Measure carefully length of drive shaft and shift rod. Must be identical on both gearcases. Ideally you should verify geaecase compatibility online before doing any work. It is possible to move shaft and rod over to make them fit but specialized tools are required, its an advanced move.

Ok so I’ll dive into switching the leg and other goodies over to the other engine.
It’s a bit of a shot in the dark but does anyone have a link to a manual or any type of instructions?

shouldn’t be to bad I think but always helpful to read up beforehand.
Cheers

Kevin.
i have a manual

Back