Merc 350 Long Block rebuild

BigHog

Have a 1990 350cid Inboard (260hp) that has lots of hours and is starting to burn some oil. It still runs OK but I am thinking of rebuilding it and have asked around and most say start with a long block and go from there. Anyone done this before and have any thoughts on what I am up against. thanks

I would say that is a good foundation to reliability. The smaller parts usually have been replaced by that time and some of them will be checked and tested in the rebuild process.

IMG_1445.jpg

Ya that seems to be the answer I am getting but am still interested in real world expierences if anyone has any !

A [GOOD] rebuild costs ...most guys in town are buying brand-new from G.M...a difference of 300. bucks!!And pick the h.p. you need

A difference of $300???? A Merc inboard FWC costs about $8000 for carb and $10K or more for EFI/TB? Rebuild should cost about $4k I would think.

My old 260 hp 350 cid was tired (1985) so I looked to replace it in 2007. The marine mechanics want you to go to Merc. and pay huge money. GM parts depts. will sell you a crate motor for a very reasonable price. There will be NO warranty if it is used in a marine invironment. I went to a speed shop in Kamloops (Garrett Engines) and got a complete Long Block built into a 383 "stroker" balanced up, big heads, etc. and plunked my marine intake, carb., FWC manifolds, etc. That cost $4,000. Note: I did have problems at first as I didn't have roller tipped rockers or very HD push rods so I pushed 3 push-rods up through the stock rockers. All fixed now and I am very pleased. The one problem that does remain is that although I have a 2006 Merc. leg on the boat it is an Alpha 1. You have to be gentle with the throttle or I think I'll twist it clean off. I should have changed out the leg to a Bravo series to handle the torque.
Oh yeah.....As my boat lives far away from me I hired the local marine mechanic to re+re the engine. A quoted 10-12 hrs. turned into 3 full days. There is a lot of work involved swapping parts to turn a long block into a running marine engine. Automotive to Marine has some quirks that must be rectified.

I would go with a MARINE from the ground up product so I don't run into any issues like you had. The Marine long block is about 2K and you can swap most or all marine parts to new block to keep the cost down. I would think I could do it about 3K if I am lucky. thanks for your response.

Back