Media Article Fish Farms are Not to Blame

Barbender

Citing the usual suspects in the Pacific salmon crisis

Published: October 26, 2009 3:00 PM
Updated: October 26, 2009 3:53 PM

1 Comment Listening to politicians in recent years, one forms the impression there is a single existential threat to B.C.’s iconic Pacific salmon.

That, of course, is sea lice, a natural parasite on salmon that has allegedly exploded into a plague due to the presence of offshore salmon farms.

And the greatest sea louse of all, the conventional wisdom goes, is Premier Gordon Campbell, who is selling off the fragile coastal habitat to his multinational pals from Norway who run these farms around the world.

This could be called the Rafe Mair school of thought — and it’s bunk. Evidence of that, at least, is becoming as abundant as the poor overfished sockeye are scarce.

Yet debate at the B.C. legislature has focused almost entirely on fish farms and the theoretical need to get them out of the open ocean.

In response to this controversy, Campbell in 2004 appointed the Pacific Salmon Forum, with a mandate to find ways of protecting B.C.’s wild salmon.

It was the proverbial “blue-ribbon panel” of independent experts, chaired by former federal environment and fisheries minister John Fraser. Members include Teresa Ryan, a marine biologist from the Tsimshian Nation in northwestern B.C., Christina Burridge of the BC Seafood Alliance, former Campbell River mayor Jim Lornie, veteran fishing guide Jeremy Maynard, Harry Nyce, director of fish and wildlife programs for the Nisga’a Lisims government, and John Woodward of Woodward’s stores fame, who has devoted his later life to the Pacific Salmon Foundation and river-recovery projects.

After exhaustive study of the available research, the forum’s final report was issued early this year — and largely ignored. One of its key findings was that sea lice can be managed to protect wild stocks, as the B.C. government has also demonstrated for some time.

The forum’s experts concluded efforts should focus on conditions in the ocean and in B.C.’s vast, battered network of rivers, lakes and creeks that sustain this annual miracle.

Land farms, not fish farms, along with subdivisions, roads, logging sites and industry, have made sewers out of too many streams.

Here’s just one example of why the sea-lice theory is so lousy.

Through most of its existence, it has focused almost entirely on pink salmon.

Apparently, the pinks didn’t get the memo that said they are doomed, because they have come back this year in numbers seldom, if ever, seen.

It’s sockeye that have gone missing, no surprise given how relentlessly humans prey on them. Still, millions of them went to sea from B.C. and, for reasons not yet understood, most did not return.

Here’s one possible clue. Again this summer, Humboldt squid were washing up on Tofino’s beaches.

These man-sized monsters chase fish into shallow water and sometimes beach themselves in the process. They’re native to California waters but, in recent years, they have hunted in uncounted packs up here.

This suggests a profound shift in ocean currents and conditions where the sockeye are disappearing.

Do these squid have a taste for sockeye as we do? Hardly. They eat mackerel down south and, apparently, any fish they can snare in their long tentacles will do.

The Rafe Mair school has now moved on to a new bogeyman — run-of-river power projects.

This is also bunk.

So, what is the answer? As the Pacific Salmon Forum has shown, there is no single, easy answer so craved by grandstanding politicians and environmentalists.

The experience of Alaska and Washington states is different than B.C., and I’ll look at that in a subsequent column.

tfletcher@blackpress.ca

Well Barbender this is only one man's opinion. I agree to some extent on the lice. They are only the tip of the iceberg.
There is no way that I am going to believe that large accumulations of fish maintained in pens pooping and eating has not affected the water. Yes they are maintained in perfect health by their fish vets but what about the waters around them? There are natural fish to these waters what about their health? If you think the tides are flushing this away clean and there is no problems created, then I have some high paying "Madof" investments I would be interestedin selling to you.
There is no way that I would blame the farms totally for the sockeye problems but to wipe the slate clean and to continue to operate full speed ahead is plain ignorance at it's highest.
I do believe that the farms can be a benefit but not at the risk they willing to take with our waters.[B)]

IMG_1445.jpg

I agree with your take on this issue Gunsmith. Obviously not all the missing sockeye are due to sea lice problems. However, it is also obvious that ocean based net pen fish farms are not sustainable due to the:

- on-going pollution problems & the long term impact on the nearby environment and sea life,
- control and spread of infectous fish diseases due to the unnatural high concentrations of fish in the pens,
- sea lice infestations attacking wild fish,
- on-going atlantic salmon escapes that compete with indidgenous species,
- and perhaps most importantly the fact that fish farms operate a biological net loss. It takes more wild sea life (i.e. krill, baitfish, etc.) to feed farmed fish then the biomass and food you get from farmed fish. So to keep fish farms operating we are mining the sea of the essential lifeforms that all sea life depends on to survive. This is unsustainable and is short term gain for long term disaster at it's finest.

Long live wild salmon!!!

barbender - I KNOW you KNOW that the mass amounts of slice was used during the outward migration of said pink salmon. This is why they have not been affected.

Honestly it was very smart of the farmers to do this, knock down the lice problem for the outgoing migration of the high publicized pinks and when they come back fine say "look the pinks are fine, no problems here".

Come on though barbender, you know the facts about those pinks, why publish BS? It makes you look a little less then ethical.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - Win an 8-Hour WCVI Charter!

quote:One of its key findings was that sea lice can be managed to protect wild stocks
Yes and this is exactly what was done for the pinks - but of course you guys don't mention that when you say how good the pinks did. Maybe you should have sliced up those farms when the sockeye when by too.

quote:These man-sized monsters chase fish into shallow water and sometimes beach themselves in the process.

Absolutely no evidence that they eat salmon. They have caught and studied many from the coast of VI and there was no sign of salmon in them. They also don't beach themselves, the evidence says that they die when they hit too cold of water, that is why they were washing up on shore. Not because they were chasing all our sockeye salmon up onto the beaches.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - Win an 8-Hour WCVI Charter!

Back