maui fishing - march 1st

Fixit

staying in Kihei for 10 days at the start of march

i want to get out for some trolling. i have rod reels and about to buy a bunch of tackle
want to get Dad out and into some yft dorado or marlin... and i want to bring the meat home.

seems like the typical charters offered there arnt what im looking for.
anyone know of a boat i could rent or someone who would like to share costs?

being march, am i likely to even find some yellowfin/big eye? ive caught 30lbers in mexico before would love to get someting 100+

Maui is not th greatest area to blue water fish in Hawaii, they don’t have close access to the super deep waters that Kona and some other areas have. In 10+ offshore trips there we had 5 skunks in that same time frame, and that is fishing with start me up \ finest kind , reputable outfits. The other 5 times we had fish , three were single dorado and a few ono, and we had a day with two striped marlin, and also a day with a 350 lb blue . The last two times we fished in Maui before switching out blue water destination to Cabo San Lucas, we fished with Die Hard. These guys are hardcore , leaving at around 2 am to get to the farthest FAD buoys . We had a day with 12 dorado, and another day with a handful of dorado and lots of small big eye ( 15 - 20 lbs they call shibi) . Long story short personally I think the only outfit worth the money is diehard , hope this helps .

Most of the charters in Maui fish a bouy that is about 10 mins in front of Kona.

The few rec boats I’ve seen fish with a huge poll and fish on the surface about 100 feet behind the boat.

The mate said the commercial guys go 50 miles+ off shore for Ahi.

The poor commercial fishermen fish bait like 1000+ feet down and hand line them:

Most of it is all open ocean attack surface fishing. Fish around the few known fishing bouys or look for flotsam it holds the bait. It’s a different fishery their are no birds and their is no structure to hold bait.

upload_2018-9-30_14-47-32.png

upload_2018-9-30_14-48-0.png

Most of the charters in Maui fish a bouy that is about 10 mins in front of Kona.

The few rec boats I’ve seen fish with a huge poll and fish on the surface about 100 feet behind the boat.

The mate said the commercial guys go 50 miles+ off shore for Ahi.

The poor commercial fishermen fish bait like 1000+ feet down and hand line them:

Most of it is all open ocean attack surface fishing. Fish around the few known fishing bouys or look for flotsam it holds the bait. It’s a different fishery their are no birds and their is no structure to hold bait.

View attachment 40662

View attachment 40663

You realize Kona is about 100 miles from the main charter fleet on Maui ( Lahaina )

Aloha. I'm sitting in Vancouver airport heading to Maui this aft for 12 days. I've been doing some research and am planing to go see the die hard crews and try to get on one of those 12 hr trips with Fuzzy. I'll let you know what I find and will ask about the March fishing as well. The tides 4 fishing site has Maui and I'll be using that to make sure I pick a good fish biting day as well as a few of my other go to sites for currents and weather. Ahhh fishing, diving and golf in 85 degree sun but I am sad to be missing some of the wild Coho for the freezer next weeks in Victoria.

I went out with Captain Fuzzy and Sam in April on a shared charter. We left at 11pm and made bait till about 2am as it was pretty slow then went off Lanai to a FAD buoy for grey light and started fishing just after 6am. It took all of 2 mins to hook up with our first mahi mahi.

Landed it then we hooked a triple, 2 of which we landed then hit another double. And repeat and repeat....awesome chaos doing figure 8's and donuts around the front side of the buoy trying to battle the crazy currents. We hit a 17-18lb YFT in between all the Mahi Mahi. Everything that stuck was on the live bait we made earlier in the night.

Once out of live bait we used something similar to pink hoochies jigging aggressively while trolling around the buoy and smashed some small YFT and 2 skippies.

The bite died at 8:20 when the sun was up a certain ways and we also had to start the long trek back. About 20 mins back we got another mahi mahi then around an hour later another one.

We pulled the lines and motored to port arriving at 11am with 15 mahi mahi ranging from 15 lbs to 33lbs, 10 tuna all 4-8 lbs except the one larger I mentioned around 17-18lbs.

All guests received 10 portions for fresh meals if they wanted it plus a monster plate of the most amazing tuna sashimi and the rest they throw on their backs and deliver to restaurants within walking distance to sell.

I knew this ahead of time about the portioning but asked the captain if I could buy some to share with some friends who live on the island but I also had brought my food saver vac packer with me ;) as there's no packing service on Maui.

Market prices are usually $3.50 to $5/lb and I offered $5/lb for a 17lb mahi and the 2 remaining small YFT which all looked amazing with a top quality fillet job. He said he'd throw in the tuna for free after he saw my tip.

Sam is probably one of the hardest working men I've seen in my life, he busts his butt non-stop. A man like that teamed up with an amazing captain like Fuzzy and you won't be disappointed with their effort, there's a reason why 9 out 10 overnight charters they don't get skunked.

This isn't for kids or anyone with physical limitations or tourists, no sleeping spot except sitting at the small table or longer bench with 6 guests rolling around overnight really sucks if you're not a mentally deranged fisherman like myself.

My sister went with me and could only handle one fish and that was with my help, another guest was done midway through her second and I had to begrudgingly take over to finish the job then another guest was done after 3 fish as their arms and legs were done from trying to stand in the rocking current while getting beaten up by feisty mahi. I had the pleasure of fighting 9 of the the 27 we landed.

Aloha. I'm sitting in Vancouver airport heading to Maui this aft for 12 days. I've been doing some research and am planing to go see the die hard crews and try to get on one of those 12 hr trips with Fuzzy. I'll let you know what I find and will ask about the March fishing as well. The tides 4 fishing site has Maui and I'll be using that to make sure I pick a good fish biting day as well as a few of my other go to sites for currents and weather. Ahhh fishing, diving and golf in 85 degree sun but I am sad to be missing some of the wild Coho for the freezer next weeks in Victoria.
Call and book ahead if possible as they fill up quick. Where they fish offshore tides have no effect as it's all current driven and moon phases don't matter either. I picked Sam's brain while on the boat trying to make bait about all the usual questions and he was just a wealth of knowledge and more than happy to answer questions.....he likes his beer when back at port so I'm sure an extra 6 cans of I think bud light was his flavour would be much appreciated ;)

Went out a couple years ago on the Action out of Lahaina with Chris & John. Booked it through Start Me Up Sportfishing. Lots of Mahi Mahi. It's just a game of finding the fish at the FAD bouys.

I fished with Fuzzy a few years back, confirmed, lights out fishing!!!! Mahi and big tuna20 to 40 lbs
Lots of them!!

Hey Fixit....you want to have the rush of a lifetime fishing something completely different in Maui as well.......Call up Local Fishing Knowledge....Capt. Jon Jon.....8-12lb bonefish on 8wt flyrods off of a Hobie kayak...will blow your mind !! thats my 1st one I caught with him ( Member pic) Have a blast in Kihei !! we'll be there for xmas !!

Fuzzy and the Die Hard crew are on maintence and holidays the whole time I'm hear but he hooked me up with the guys on Action Fishing so I'm leaving the dock tonight (actually tomorow) at 2am and back around noon. Here's the boat 31 ft Blackfin. I'll report back if I survive hehe. Got gravol today;-)

Attachments

• IMG_1148.PNG
    IMG_1148.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
Fuzzy and the Die Hard crew are on maintence and holidays the whole time I'm hear but he hooked me up with the guys on Action Fishing so I'm leaving the dock tonight (actually tomorow) at 2am and back around noon. Here's the boat 31 ft Blackfin. I'll report back if I survive hehe. Got gravol today;-)
They're a fishy boat. Try Bonine next time, way better than gravol. Hope you get into some action

Epic day! Started at 2am with a 3 hr cruise in the dark with the smell of the twin diesels and so many stars. Arrived at a set of Bouys at daybreak and first pass a fish on and it's a 20 lb Mahi Mahi, second pass a double header then after 30 mins bite was done. Headed to the second set of bouys 30 mins away and good action there for 45 mins lands us another 7. Once they star jumping they get spooked and scatter so if you're the second boat to the bouys you're likely not getting any. We start trolling and almost run into a tangled net and float and bang double header. We circled around that garbage which was the size of a hippo and the action was non stop. John & John aboard the Action from Start Me Up were amazing! Rods we're going back and forth from the flying bridge to the deck with 15 lb fish on in a frenzy for over an hour, everyone was sweating while fish were being hand flung onto the deck and into the cooler then new bait back into the water for 30 secs and fish on again. I think we left only because the cooler wouldn't close. The troll home was a quick pace in 6ft sea when from the side a splash and screaming reel sets the deck into a frenzy unfortunately not my turn but the 451 lb marlin hit the deck. Holy crap did this just happen! 26 fish mostly Mahi Mahi ,Hawaiian salmon. Ohui also in the mix made the $300 plus $70 tip worth it.
Fixit the march bite is the same but the early bird gets the fish.

Attachments

• IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    342.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    383 KB · Views: 66
Epic day! Started at 2am with a 3 hr cruise in the dark with the smell of the twin diesels and so many stars. Arrived at a set of Bouys at daybreak and first pass a fish on and it's a 20 lb Mahi Mahi, second pass a double header then after 30 mins bite was done. Headed to the second set of bouys 30 mins away and good action there for 45 mins lands us another 7. Once they star jumping they get spooked and scatter so if you're the second boat to the bouys you're likely not getting any. We start trolling and almost run into a tangled net and float and bang double header. We circled around that garbage which was the size of a hippo and the action was non stop. John & John aboard the Action from Start Me Up were amazing! Rods we're going back and forth from the flying bridge to the deck with 15 lb fish on in a frenzy for over an hour, everyone was sweating while fish were being hand flung onto the deck and into the cooler then new bait back into the water for 30 secs and fish on again. I think we left only because the cooler wouldn't close. The troll home was a quick pace in 6ft sea when from the side a splash and screaming reel sets the deck into a frenzy unfortunately not my turn but the 451 lb marlin hit the deck. Holy crap did this just happen! 26 fish mostly Mahi Mahi ,Hawaiian salmon. Ohui also in the mix made the $300 plus $70 tip worth it.
Fixit the march bite is the same but the early bird gets the fish.

Wow epic day for sure, once in a litftine opportunity seeing that marlin landed.

Back