Maruto Semi-Barbless Grabber Hook

Sure would hurt to get dinged per barb on one of those if you caught a DFO officer on a bad day. I wouldnt fish them myself...

Not saying you couldn't run into a beef over it, but you would beat it in court if it had to go that route I'd think. Just saying, no barb by any definition I could think of. What if you used a super rusty hook that was barbless, but was all pitted and the suface coating started to delaminate. If it snagged on the "sweater test", does that mean its now considered barbed? Not a barb to my way of thinking.
Guess we need to do a poll.

The Sidney Anglers had a couple DFO officers in as guest speakers at last months meeting, and the "sweater test" got brought up. They said the sweater test isnt something theyre trained or told to use, and by their definition a barb is a 2nd point (or bump) on a hook, and that the barb must be crimped flat or filed down. The speaker went on to say that every officer has their own standards in terms of crimped barbs, and that he had heard anglers refer to a "sweater test" before, but never saw or heard of one being used. So as with many things DFO-related, the rules are enforced using various interpretations of the vague definition laid out. His recommendation was that we purchase barbless hooks to avoid any confusion.

Now if this is ultimately about losing fewer fish, Id say that investing in quality hooks and keeping them sharp will help more than a gimmick like these micro-barbed hooks!

No arguments there. Personally I wouldn't use them, but I also don't think they meet the legal definition of a "barb". Unfortunately every CO on the water has his own interpretation of the regs.

i have run them and david of predator really like's them

no barb serrated after the point and lost a few good fish on them to boot so
went back to 5/0 gammy and crimped the barb down ....
or just put on barbless in the same pattern.........
going to be playing with a few owner patterns this year
and one or two other tricks that work?????

they work... they do grab wool tho.

Back