Marine/RV Batteries

SerengetiGuide

We are selling quite a few marine batteries, 8 to be exact I believe. We change ours every year (or two at most) so they are still in great shape, trickle charge them during the winter. Figured instead of just getting rid of them they could go to a new home as they are still in great shape, we just do it for safety sake as we are on the water everyday and rather be safe than sorry out there. Let me know if you are interested.

David

I may be interested in one. How much $$$?

Dave, what make, size, and type are they? Maybe you can save two for Spike when he heads up to see you?

Rick

Reluctantly sent from my iPhoney using this crappy Tapatalk app... [emoji37]

Sorry guys, not on that much. $75, pretty reasonable as these are the deep cycle heavy duties, saw them at CDN Tire today for $197.

That is a good deal. I need a couple. Where are you located. Im heading up to Ucluelet from Victoria tomorrow. Are you along the way?

Question for ya, do you run just deep cycle in your boats even to start it? BTW nice website. Looks like you do very well. Love all the pics.

Question for ya, do you run just deep cycle in your boats even to start it? BTW nice website. Looks like you do very well. Love all the pics.

It depends on the cold cranking amp rating of the deep cycle compared to the requirement for your boat. There are deep cycle batteries with 750 cca's which should be more than sufficient to start most engines.

Derp cycle can be used for starting... Not preferred though as they are not designed to provide a whole slug of amps in a short period of time like a starting battery is. The CCA (or MCA) ratings don't tell you how 'fast' the battery will deliver the amps, just how much capacity the battery has. These are several different ratings that mean different things. I have a starting and deep cycle battery on my boat (F250 O/S Yamaha) and the CCA of both batteries is nearly identical, but I want each type of battery for the designated purpose. I have both batteries 'electrically' separated, but can combine if an emergency. If you have a flooded lead acid battery, take the cell caps off and look inside. The plates will be thinner and (more of them) in a starting battery vs a deep cycle. Taking a starting battery down to a deep discharge level will end up warping the plates and kill the battery. If I had a choice between having only one type of battery (like David runs) it would be deep cycles for that reason. Take it down, bring it back up, it'll last. Just my (professional) $0.02 worth...

Rick

ps: David, I still think Spike (or Steve?) will need one.

So do most guys have a starting battery and a deep cycle battery? I have been running 2 starting batteries and it has been 5 years and they are now gone and I have to replace them both. Damn...Just wondering how you guys have your boats set up with your downriggers, electronics etc. I guess I could always start the engine on the starting battery and switch it over to the deep cycle to charge eh. Comments???

Derp cycle can be used for starting... Not preferred though as they are not designed to provide a whole slug of amps in a short period of time like a starting battery is. The CCA (or MCA) ratings don't tell you how 'fast' the battery will deliver the amps, just how much capacity the battery has. These are several different ratings that mean different things. I have a starting and deep cycle battery on my boat (F250 O/S Yamaha) and the CCA of both batteries is nearly identical, but I want each type of battery for the designated purpose. I have both batteries 'electrically' separated, but can combine if an emergency. If you have a flooded lead acid battery, take the cell caps off and look inside. The plates will be thinner and (more of them) in a starting battery vs a deep cycle. Taking a starting battery down to a deep discharge level will end up warping the plates and kill the battery. If I had a choice between having only one type of battery (like David runs) it would be deep cycles for that reason. Take it down, bring it back up, it'll last. Just my (professional) $0.02 worth...

Rick

Thanks Rick for that. What do mean by electrically separated, by those 1/2/BOTH switches? Have you ever ran into problems with either one of your batteries...Since this will be a fairly large expense, I want to do it right. I am running a Suzuki 150.

I call the 1, 2, 1+2, off battery switches the 'Old Skool' way of controlling batteries. They were designed before most of the modern electronics we now have that are very voltage sensitive and don't provide ANY isolation at all. I use (and install) the Blue Sea Systems 'Add-A-Battery' kit and tell all that will listen that, IMO, it's the best invention since sliced bread and toilet paper!!! [emoji12]
It keeps both batteries separate from each other, no low voltage 'brown outs' on your electronics when starting, and with the ACR (Automatic Charging Relay) properly wired in, keeps both batteries charged as well. Ask anyone who's running 'Old Skool' switches how many times they've 'forgotten' to change the switch setting, or forgotten to where the switch should be set... Why not just have one switch, it turns on or off (with Emerg combine position) real easy, straight forward and completely foolproof...

Rick

ps: David, sorry for the thread hijack... [emoji79][emoji37][emoji36]

Rick

So do most guys have a starting battery and a deep cycle battery? I have been running 2 starting batteries and it has been 5 years and they are now gone and I have to replace them both. Damn...Just wondering how you guys have your boats set up with your downriggers, electronics etc. I guess I could always start the engine on the starting battery and switch it over to the deep cycle to charge eh. Comments???

I set mine up with two combo (start/deep) batteries. They are costco brand and either one can start my yama 115. I checked the amps needed and they were well within what the batteries could put out. Now if you had a rather large main I would go for a start battery since that would deliver the amps you need. Check your specs on the starter and what is recommended by the manufacture. I run my switch on both as they are a matched pair. This may not be perfect but I'm a weekend angler and not a guide/pro.

5 years on a set of batteries is really good.

No worries guys. I use them for starting and all on board electronics and never have any problems. Back on the island now, will be up and down island over the next month quite a bit.

No worries guys. I use them for starting and all on board electronics and never have any problems. Back on the island now, will be up and down island over the next month quite a bit.

Deep cycle batteries are designed for long slow current draw.
They can be used to start your main engine but will not be as effective particularly as they age.
Sure a Deep Cycle will work for both, but you will find when the battery starts to weaken after a year or so, when starting your big motor, it will hesitate or slow when turning over and may just give you the dreaded click and not turnover at all.
My preference, as my kicker has a real good alternator, is to use an AGM Cranking Battery. I get 5 years plus out of it and find it well worth the extra money.

I've been getting 5-6 years out of Crappy tire Nautilus batteries.
I'm sure they aren't the best, but for about $100
I can't complain.

Can't remember the last time I change my batteries to be honest. Think I pulled one out last year that I was having an issue with. I generally use them till I start having problems. I do have a trickle charge on them almost every night so good to go in the morning. I do have a separate starting battery for each engine and a deep cycle for electronics. I shut off my switches to the starting batteries each night.

Back