Marine plywood

spring time

so with all this free time on my hands ( thanks stupid Covid 19) I am in the process of redoing things on my boat my dash and stuff. One of my projects is to reduce the door into my cuddly cabin ( I have a bayliner trophy 1802) it looks like white laminate in plywood core. My questions is to you guys, can I use exterior plywood or marine plywood and any good places where I can buy marine plywood if that’s the route in the lower mainland thanks

just use regular plywood and treat the ends, I also did some work on a boat using starboard? it was plastic all the way through. easy to work with. looked really good with the edges routered.

so with all this free time on my hands ( thanks stupid Covid 19) I am in the process of redoing things on my boat my dash and stuff. One of my projects is to reduce the door into my cuddly cabin ( I have a bayliner trophy 1802) it looks like white laminate in plywood core. My questions is to you guys, can I use exterior plywood or marine plywood and any good places where I can buy marine plywood if that’s the route in the lower mainland thanks
Try Windsor Plywood on Lougheed as that's where I bought some a few years back. Will cost you but in my opinion worth the expense.

Over time - you likely will be dissatisfied using regular verses marine plywood for boat repairs. I'm not a wood expert - but I believe that marine plywood has extra/better glue and protection/resistance against water which causes regular plywood to rot & crumble after extended water contact. Marine plywood is not that much more than standard plywood - worth the little extra IMHO - if you plan on keeping the boat any length of time.

Don't use regular plywood,baltic birch is next upgrade,then marine ply,then marine mahogany,all of which need to be sealed most likely with arborite or similar,then "Starboard" for the forever fix.

Plywood is going to rot in a marine environment, no mater what grade you choose, the only way it wont is if you protect it with a good grade marine paint, 2-3 good coats of paint and keep it up, like repaint every few years.Or fibreglass over it, arborite will come unglued as soon as moisture get in wich it will eventually. That plastic board will cost you but will last forever, easy to cut with a skillsaw same as plywood

A lot of people get this confused.. Marine Grade is just a a grade or quality of the wood. There is no special glue or treatment used to condition the wood to last longer. It simply means it is free of knots and voids. Things you don’t want trouble from when your counting on it as a hull to keep you floating.

A lot of people get this confused.. Marine Grade is just a a grade or quality of the wood. There is no special glue or treatment used to condition the wood to last longer. It simply means it is free of knots and voids. Things you don’t want trouble from when your counting on it as a hull to keep you floating.
This is correct. I laid up thousands of feet of it in my younger days on spreader crew in a plywood mill.

Back