March 31 - July 15 Salmon Restrictions

Good for Ms. Blaney to fight for marked selective fishery and retention.
This could be our last hope for some kind of salmon fishery in the future.

How much pushing have we already done, no one at DFO is listening. I will keep trying and sign another petition but willing to bet for silence from DFO with same regs. That is if FN don't cause a stink and take/get what's left.

HM

keep in mind that the regulations may change June 1. All indication is that they will be more restrictive. They have obligations to the PST to reduce harrison chinook catch.

Pushing for a MSF seems to be one of the only plays we have left. Still in areas where there is not endangered stocks or at risk stocks presents they should allow openings. They also really need to allow us access to those american hatchery fish that we have negotiated for.

Opening WCVI, Opening JDF, Opening the inside in area and times when there is large amount of hatchery fish know in the area should be open. No reason to not have it open for hatchery retention!!

Last edited:
Sending e mails to DFO and bitching on a closed fishing forum do nothing.

The blueprint has been set recently by the ENGO’s and FN’s to get any action

So in other words sit back, do nothing
and take what we get ?

How about we blockage Van harbour, blockade CNN, Van Port and BC ferries, then create mayhem and a huge mess for Canada. Worked for a minority maybe we should try? My bet is the end result would prove to all Canadians just how racist Canada IS.

HM

Could you imagine if we blocked the harbor, the Navy would be out there blowing us out of the water....

what Navy? Have you seen how our Navy compares with the rest of the world? We are lumped in there with some 3rd world countries when they do a tally of the arsenal and firepower we have

How about we blockage Van harbour, blockade CNN, Van Port and BC ferries, then create mayhem and a huge mess for Canada. Worked for a minority maybe we should try? My bet is the end result would prove to all Canadians just how racist Canada IS.

HM

I agree with everything you said except for the racist part... I don't think it has to do with the gov being racist... they are just plain and simply lazy and ignorant as hell.... If you make them look bad or make a lot of work for them they will bend over... so far as a group, we have done neither.... If we up our anti with regards to aggressive demonstrations/blockades to show that we won't continue to take it from behind.. I am sure it will get more done than sending letters.. Sending emails and letters... (they simply press delete or toss in trash)... Demonstration and making a lot of noise and make a scene... well that is much hard to deal with.. and by what history tells us, gets the job done.

It feels depressing.... while I read the recent article from Nanaimo stating they are reinstating the same measures for chinook as last year.. there was a part of me that was happy for a weird reason.. happy that there was no further slashing by means of restrictions to an already barebones piece of meat... let's be honest.. 1 fish per day in August is stupid as hell considering the fish we are after at that time of year are NOT the endangered stocks of concern... But then I tell myself, why the HELL am I relieved??? I am relieved to get the same program that was announced last year in which we all thought was bogus ********.....

They state this is an interim measure while they assess the data and plan for a long term approach... My concern is that for the next 12 months.. the NGOs and FN groups will be very vocal and aggressive in trying to get what they want... which if I had to guess will likely mean further restrictions/reductions next year to what is already a barebones fishery...

If we are going to be vocal and aggressive to making our voices heard this is the year to do it and this is the time.... well before they make FINAL and PERMANENT Decisions ...... Let's not wait till they come close to announcing the new permanent regulations next year in order for us to make some noise... Because if we wait till then, it will definately be game over!

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said except for the racist part... I don't think it has to do with the gov being racist... they are just plain and simply lazy.... If you make them look bad or make a lot of work for them they will bend over... so far as a group, we have done neither.... If we up our anti with regards to aggressive demonstrations/blockades to show that we won't continue to take it from behind.. I am sure it will get more done than sending letters.. Sending emails and letters... (they simply press delete or toss in trash)... Demonstration and making a lot of noise and make a scene... well that is much hard to deal with.. and by what history tells us, gets the job done.
Don't forget to throw in a law suit, we need our portion of the fisheries allocation enshrined in law

Don't forget to throw in a law suit, we need our portion of the fisheries allocation enshrined in law
I think a lawsuit is the best course of action. Gotta be some rich lawyer with three boats and 20 Abel's that can afford to take this on. With all the fundraisers and donations we all make to fishing related issues it's a big pool of cash.

I think a lawsuit is the best course of action. Gotta be some rich lawyer with three boats and 20 Abel's that can afford to take this on. With all the fundraisers and donations we all make to fishing related issues it's a big pool of cash.
Who is the group to take it on Sport Fishing Institute?

Who is the group to take it on Sport Fishing Institute?
I guess that's the 8 million dollar question.

I'd say a coalition of guides makes most sense. Is there a professional guides association?

They state this is an interim measure while they assess the data and plan for a long term approach... My concern is that for the next 12 months.. the NGOs and FN groups will be very vocal and aggressive in trying to get what they want... which if I had to guess will likely mean further restrictions/reductions next year to what is already a barebones fishery...

!

The"interim measures" are only guaranteed to be in place intil ( probably June 1) wen they will have completed all reviews and consultations. Changes ( likely not good ones) are very likely to be announced for remainder of season just prior to that date. I for one can't help feeling that if they stay status quo from last year it will be best case scenario. Sad statement I know, but I get the sense we may be looking at heavier restrictions in the form of size or even time and area closures rolling down the path of "Harrison and Fraser fish for the summer. Hope not! If the no C&R campaign wins the day then non retention will instantly mean no fin fish fishing. Again I hope I am wrong in my pessimism.

Wow, so far one lone MP in support of one of the most important industries to the province, may as well be none. Where is your Premiere in all this. Silently in support one has to think. He should be kicking down doors and breaking windows fighting for this for his people but not. Trying really hard not to **** off his green backers who you know are in support of closing the fishery to all non native people.

Back