Manual Tilt Broken- 2009 Yamaha High Thrust

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
The stainless (crap) plate on manual tilt broke. The arm/posts that engage and lock into the casted recess in clamping arms are sheared off. So I can't tilt it up anymore which really sucks.

Also the two casted clamping arms that lock into three positions on the two of them are sheared each side, so it makes motor hang on funny angle trimmed in.

So a few questions does anyone have a parts motor I can do a complete swap out?

If not has anyone had this happen? Short term I guess I can try and bungee it up a bit so it isn't dragging in water. What have you done?

Shops want like about 900-1000 with the labour and parts. Motor is not worth it. Just need short term solution before buying new one in the fall.

I found a piece of UHMW in the cutoff bin at Industrial Plastic that fits perfect to keep my Honda 15 fully tilted. About 4cm x 4cm square and 18 inches long. It was a temporary fix that has been there for about 8 years since the speed bump incident broke the tilt.

my pin broke also. i was able to fix it but now use a piece of wood as it would break again without it and the motor is to old to reliably find parts for.

Drill a hole in it and run a line through the hole and secure it on a cleat
That way if you're running in rough water you won't lose it on a kicker bounce

It look like I am leaning toward a hydraulic tilt bracket. Fixes all my problems in one shot. For meantime going to block with wood/bungee just to tilt it up a bit so it isn't dragging on plane. It just touches on the prop guard and bottom of skeg, so just need a bit of tilt.

Make sure you lock your kicker down when trailering!

Ha ha LOLOL in the end I just used a piece of wood to keep it titled up. Two 2x4 in cross shape. Put a few holes for bungee chords in it so I don't lose it.

I thought you had found a hydraulic one to put on your boat??

I thought you had found a hydraulic one to put on your boat??

I have a used hydraulic one sitting here still. In the end I don't know what I am doing with my boat/kicker motor, so didn't want to sink cash in it. I just got the same new Fulton heavy duty 4 stroke bracket, reused same holes already done, and use the wood block to tilt up.

Those metal tilt lock plates on the yamaha manual tilts are just absolute garbage. Next boat will have the fixed bracket with hydraulic tilt. I think I am done with the Yamahas.

Back