man is the water ever goin come down

the cowie whats the deal, stupid timber west and their logging practices have wiped out the fishery on the cowichan river for steelhead. As steelheaders and conservationists it is a damn shame that the cowie is being ruined by erosion and continual high water. something needs to be done about this wonderful system or it will be lost forever. this year to date i have beached one steelhead on the river in about a dozen trips including drifting the river from sandy to black. the river is only good part of the time the restof time it is either too high or too low and waiting water, its a shame. on the other hane i have fished the good ol stamp river and have beached a total of somewhere around 50 steelhead this season. it is fishable in high, and low gin clear water, always produces fish and not alot of traffic. we need to do something about the cowie all of us or it will be lost. thats my rant, peace out, slabslayer out.

I here ya cowie,

It was a great river, but too many politics have seemed to work it way in and everybody forgot about the fish. I personally used to fish steelhead on the Cow. atleast 50-100 times a winter and this year I have been out once. To depressing.

Are you heading up this year? If so I'll be at "bird 2" working the wall for a slab, I'll throw ya some leaders! haha

Buhda

I here ya cowie,

It was a great river, but too many politics have seemed to work it way in and everybody forgot about the fish. I personally used to fish steelhead on the Cow. atleast 50-100 times a winter and this year I have been out once. To depressing.

Are you heading up this year? If so I'll be at "bird 2" working the wall for a slab, I'll throw ya some leaders! haha

Buhda

I here ya cowie,

Buhda

Bird 2? What the hell is that? :D I personally prefer Snake Rock. hehehe... Sorry, couldn't resist. Found that there were too many of those little tommycods there (b2/snake) this past summer though. Or Pacific gray cods, or whatever they're called. Had to work through 20 or 30 of them sometimes to get a nookie on the line. The point worked far better for me, going across the kelp at the top of the east side.

It's getting close to that time of the year! Can't wait! :)

Rolly

Bird 2? What the hell is that? :D I personally prefer Snake Rock. hehehe... Sorry, couldn't resist. Found that there were too many of those little tommycods there (b2/snake) this past summer though. Or Pacific gray cods, or whatever they're called. Had to work through 20 or 30 of them sometimes to get a nookie on the line. The point worked far better for me, going across the kelp at the top of the east side.

Rolly

Rolly

hey there guys, good to hear from ya. hey budha im totally done university by april 16, still lots of time for steelie action before we head up lets keep in touch and actually do some slaying together. hey spence good to hear from you as well, hope school went awesome for ya, i have to agree the snake pit was overly burdened with the cod last year, compared to the past, it used to be the place for hogs, hey geoff love the leaders hahaha slabslayer out!!!

hey there guys, good to hear from ya. hey budha im totally done university by april 16, still lots of time for steelie action before we head up lets keep in touch and actually do some slaying together. hey spence good to hear from you as well, hope school went awesome for ya, i have to agree the snake pit was overly burdened with the cod last year, compared to the past, it used to be the place for hogs, hey geoff love the leaders hahaha slabslayer out!!!

Ya like I've said all along we need a HUGE hatchery on the system!!! Robertson Creek ring any bells???? And don't even give me the Wild fish Wild genes theory, aint interested in hooking 1 wild as compared to 10 hatchery's!!!

Ya like I've said all along we need a HUGE hatchery on the system!!! Robertson Creek ring any bells???? And don't even give me the Wild fish Wild genes theory, aint interested in hooking 1 wild as compared to 10 hatchery's!!!

It really is too bad that the Cowichan hasn't been too fishable this season but I'm not convinced that its got more to do with 2 bad clay banks than anything else. Not too sure, but I don't think either bank is associated with any recent logging.

The upper one is located in block 51 just upstream of the old junction pool and the lower one (by far the larger) is just above Stolzes campground.

Since clay banks and siltation are a natural phenomenon anyway, I seriously doubt the river will be lost forever as a result. In fact, perhaps the fact that we haven't been able to "slay em" on the Cowichan for the past few years due to water conditions may be one of the reasons its still got a fair number of steelehad in it unlike other ECVI flows.

As far as the Cowichan being too low and waiting for water? In over 15 years Ive NEVER seen the Cowichan too low during steelhead season. Low water rocks on the Cowichan if you know where to find 'em!

Is the situation hopeless and we'll never see the Cowichan flow high and clear again in our lifetimes? NO.

All the river needs to do is change course again away from the clay banks and we'll have a clear river again. Looking at the banks, it could actually be engineered with some large boulders and rip rap but thats just pure fantasy in this era of cutbacks in fish management. Would require many hours of volunteer time and more than a few hours of serious (Sky Crane) heli time.

Will the river move in a favorable direction again soon? Who knows, it could be happening now. Meanwhile, I'll bet the steelhead are enjoying the rest....

keep 'em sharp...

Gama

It really is too bad that the Cowichan hasn't been too fishable this season but I'm not convinced that its got more to do with 2 bad clay banks than anything else. Not too sure, but I don't think either bank is associated with any recent logging.

The upper one is located in block 51 just upstream of the old junction pool and the lower one (by far the larger) is just above Stolzes campground.

Since clay banks and siltation are a natural phenomenon anyway, I seriously doubt the river will be lost forever as a result. In fact, perhaps the fact that we haven't been able to "slay em" on the Cowichan for the past few years due to water conditions may be one of the reasons its still got a fair number of steelehad in it unlike other ECVI flows.

As far as the Cowichan being too low and waiting for water? In over 15 years Ive NEVER seen the Cowichan too low during steelhead season. Low water rocks on the Cowichan if you know where to find 'em!

Is the situation hopeless and we'll never see the Cowichan flow high and clear again in our lifetimes? NO.

All the river needs to do is change course again away from the clay banks and we'll have a clear river again. Looking at the banks, it could actually be engineered with some large boulders and rip rap but thats just pure fantasy in this era of cutbacks in fish management. Would require many hours of volunteer time and more than a few hours of serious (Sky Crane) heli time.

Will the river move in a favorable direction again soon? Who knows, it could be happening now. Meanwhile, I'll bet the steelhead are enjoying the rest....

keep 'em sharp...

Gama

keep 'em sharp...

Gama

Back