Malibu tyee vs double eagle?

Hey all!
So I am narrowing down a few choices on my FIRST family fishing boat. Currently considering a 2009 17 foot Double Eagle / 90 Hp @ (21g's) or a 2007 18 foot Malibu Tyee with Mercury Optimax 150 with 85 hours, kicker included @ (27g's)

I have had AWESOME feedback on the DE, but I wish to get feedback from as many experienced boaters out there on which boat is the best choice in both 1) ocean ability 2) price point 3) resale

I would appreciate any direction as it is a hard decision for someone who is not really boat savvy.

Thanks in advance!

Weston

If I'm not mistaken they are actually the same boat basically and both are 17.5ft. Malibu bought the mould for the 17.5 from double eagle, modified it a bit and called it the Tyee. I own the Tyee and its arguably the best 17ft and under fishing platform. Its practical for everything but real offshore fishing as it is still a relatively small boat. Mine is powered with a 90 which is a tad under gunned and my main complaint is that it sits very low in the rear even with only 90hp. Runs about 21 knots at 4200 rpm and is very good on gas. The 150 optimal would make it fly but i would be concerned that the engine would sit to low unless the transom plate is designed differently than mine. My seating setup is a sleeper on one side, a captains chair and a padded cooler which works great for storage. I would also highly recommend a high canvas as it give a lot more room. Im 6'4 and it really helps. As for which boat as you posted it really comes down to preference. Both have great (borderline stupid) resale values as you likely saw from the 30 year old 10,000$ double eagles.

Sits a bit low in the back.

derby.jpg

Seating setup behind.

002-2.jpg

Just as Kelly said they are the same boat. Kelly can't tell by the pictures but is that a 4 stroke. Could explain the problem if it is, with wieght being the issue. Weston you could always go with a 2 stroke not as much weight in the back.

Just as Kelly said they are the same boat. Kelly can't tell by the pictures but is that a 4 stroke. Could explain the problem if it is, with wieght being the issue. Weston you could always go with a 2 stroke not as much weight in the back.

Sitting low in the back is just the nature of these boats. I've got a couple of friends that have the 17.5 DE's, one with a 90HP Honda and one with a 115HP Honda. Both sit low in the water at the back. My 17.5 Hourston does the same thing with a 115 Optimax on it. Add a kicker and an auxilliary battery to it and it sits pretty much the same as without them. It's really no big deal.
I also fish a lot offshore with my boat. Know your boat, know the water and the forecast and you can get some great offshore fishing most days.
Dave

A buddy has a 17.5' Tyee and it rocks, we've been in some nasty nasty **** and its rock solid. You'll tap out before the boat does, can't say enough good things about it.

My buddy had the tyee, same boat as the Double Eagle, Good in the snotty stuff.
Couple of nicer features.
Look at a new price I think they were very reasonable.
Check out the dealer in Port Alberni.....
Dan

Yea the transom is designed to sit low but IMO it sits to low as rear waves can submarine the engines. Thats my only beef with these models otherwise they are amazing. As for offshore, i have fished 7 mile and if you really wanted you could fish further but they are only 17 foot boats..... You will eventually get caught. Forecast or not conditions change, we got caught once just at 7 mile and it was a bit hairy.

Guys thanks for all your advice. I am just wondering if this tyee (check it out on Craiglist it's the only one there) is overpriced for the year. I mean, it wouldn't have cost much more for it than new no? But saying that, the 2009 DE only has a 90hp so, maybe the Tyee is worth close to it due to cost of 150 PLUS kicker. And the big engine with kicker, do you really think it might sit dangerously low? I will be taking my kids in it and want no unpleasant surprises with back water coming in. What'cha all think?

Sorry to wander a bit but have you considered a 20 foot Hourston?
They have a hardtop, cuddy arangement.
That would be an awesome family boat, they are well built and can handle the water very well.
There is one for sale at Parker in Nanamio asking high 9.
I've been out in Wolf's Hourston in some snot and it is very very stable good solid ride and you could probably pound on the side of it with a sledge hammer all day before you marked it.
Just a thought.....
Dan.

I got a 23 Hourston and they are tanks very,very safe boats. Thats why the Coast Guard has some and just a couple years ago bought 6 more to add to there fleet. There are very heavy boats(the 23 ft is 6500 lbs) so you will need a good truck to pull it. The 20 ft is a nice boat though.
It sounds like price point that you have to be in. So maybe going new is not the way to go. If you are going to be fishing you'll want a kicker(new $2500-3500, some down-riggers($600?) and some electronics(???) it all adds up. Throw in some dock lines,Life jackets,flares,oars another($500?). It sounds like a 18-20 ft with a small cutty and a port a potty may be a better way to go. Sorry to go all 2 foot ittis on you.
Any of the boats you have chosen will serve you well to get you started. You just have to think what you are really going to do with the boat. My old 175 was a work horse and served me well. With the old 90 hp it was a little under powered for water skiing and tubing but fine for fishing. Once I put on a 130 hp I was fine for both. Then the kids got old and we stopped going to the lake so moved up to the 23 ft Hourston. Way more room for the wife and I. Port a potty and Ice box, large cutty for over nighters. It's all about what you need. No boat will be perfect. Good luck with your search.

casper, please check out this guys boat... craigslist it is in Ladner, the only Malibu Tyee for sale. He wants 27g's. this boat new is around 34gs' big engine power and kicker cost $$$ but do you think it is a decent buy? do you think it has too much power and will only drag the back end down more to an unsafe level? it looks like a smoking clean boat however. I appreciate all your advice! Cheers friend

I just bought a '94 Malibu 185. My impression is that the boats are very solidly built and a touch nicer finishing than the Double Eagles. My bro has the 20' double eagle with the alaska cabin and kitchenette and its a fantastic boat, but he now finds it a bit problematic that there are only 3 seats in the cabin and he has a family of 4.

If I had the cash I would have gone for this 2007 Malibu 182 http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2007-Malibu-182-Camper_16510709. It has the cuddy and porta potty for the family and is still a nice size to learn to handle boats.

Yea the transom is designed to sit low but IMO it sits to low as rear waves can submarine the engines. Thats my only beef with these models otherwise they are amazing. As for offshore, i have fished 7 mile and if you really wanted you could fish further but they are only 17 foot boats..... You will eventually get caught. Forecast or not conditions change, we got caught once just at 7 mile and it was a bit hairy.

I would like to compare measurements with the bottom of the hull to the transom Kelly. The transom height has changed as per L.A. marine. I have looked at a couple older models of the tyee and the transom looks visibly lower than my 2008 model.

Hey all!
So I am narrowing down a few choices on my FIRST family fishing boat. Currently considering a 2009 17 foot Double Eagle / 90 Hp @ (21g's) or a 2007 18 foot Malibu Tyee with Mercury Optimax 150 with 85 hours, kicker included @ (27g's)

I have had AWESOME feedback on the DE, but I wish to get feedback from as many experienced boaters out there on which boat is the best choice in both 1) ocean ability 2) price point 3) resale

I would appreciate any direction as it is a hard decision for someone who is not really boat savvy.

Thanks in advance!

Weston

The Malibu Tyee is an excellent fishing machine and I would recomend it to anyone looking for this type of boat. Only issue is space in these boats. It measures 17 feet right down the center. The 18 foot malibu measures 17 feet 6 inches. The free board is higher in the 18 as well as there is less fishing room due to the cuddy. The cuddy measures 5 foot 8 inches which is pretty small for most adults. Excellent for dry storage and keeping the kids out of the weather.

I reasearched both boats before purchasing the 17 foot version. I am running a 115hp two stroke Merc Optimax on my Tyee. Decent power for the size of boat. I had 5 big guys on my boat fishing last year and had no issues getting out of the hole. 150 hp would be great on the 18 foot Malibu. The extra hp helps when fighting swell out in the open ocean. I find my 115 lacking the torque to push through the big waves due to it's 3 cylinders and 1.5 liter displacement.

Might sell mine in the next year and upgrade to an aluminum fishing machine. Nice to be able to beach the boat and not worry about damaging the glass.

Hey all!
So I am narrowing down a few choices on my FIRST family fishing boat. ... which boat is the best choice in both 1) ocean ability 2) price point 3) resale I would appreciate any direction as it is a hard decision for someone who is not really boat savvy.
Another solid vote for Tyee - as mentioned on the other Tyee thread, I owned a '92 for over 12 years and it was fished 100's of hours every year. Repowered with a 115F Yam and 8 HT kicker in 2007 (from 2 stroke). No rot in the floor or transom. Fished summer and winter from Victoria to Nootka Sound and on the good days, 15 miles offshore on La Perouse bank. Usually fished 2 or 3 guys and occasionally 4. (The fish box was often full to the brim.) I did a few mods - stand-up canvas, built-in tackle storage, rod storage, a forward floor locker, etc. but the best one being to get rid of the vinyl and spray the floor and 18" up the topsides with thick Rhinohide. High gunwhales and even with the 4 strokes the transom never took water over, although it did sit low at the dock. I considered moving the batteries up front but I didn't get to that before I sold it to my son-in-law. He loves the boat, takes my 3 year-old twin grand-kids out all the time and we never worry. Rock solid - great boats!

casper, please check out this guys boat... craigslist it is in Ladner, the only Malibu Tyee for sale. He wants 27g's. this boat new is around 34gs' big engine power and kicker cost $$$ but do you think it is a decent buy? do you think it has too much power and will only drag the back end down more to an unsafe level? it looks like a smoking clean boat however. I appreciate all your advice! Cheers friend
Looks like a fair price, it looks well cared for. I would get him to throw in the downriggers and all the safety gear. Take it to the dealer if you can, hook the motor up to a scope to tell you the hours. If everything still looks good I think it would be a great first boat that I would be proud to own. Good luck.

I agree With High five. For under 27k you could pick up a used North River sea hawk or something just as nice out of the states. :)

I would have to agree for that kind of budget at can get you a lot of boat. Still have to think of do you have the rig to tow a bigger boat. Will it only be for fishing. All that being said I still think that the Tyee is a nice "all round" boat. If I was going for the fishing only and had the rig to pull it, I would look at a bigger boat with that kind of cash. We are not making this easy for you are we.LOL

I say again. I find 150hp overpowered for a 17' boat. You don't need to go 50 MPH and it's not safe. It may not even be rated for that. And if it's four stroke I doubt the transom will be rated for that weight and it will pay the price eventually for this abuse. I would check what the boat is rated for in terms of HP and weight and stick to that. A boat hull is designed for a certain weight distribution and a certain torgue on the back. If you ignore that the boat will handle differently than designed for and that may not be very good for you and the boat. 115hp is plenty for a 17' runabout. And look at the gas prices at the pump and you have another good reason to go as small as possible while doing what you want to do with it.

Back