Malibu Project

ExFlyGuy

We decided to keep our boat and camper instead of buying a bigger boat. This week I removed the swim grid, kicker/bracket, engine and outdrive and am now starting on the floor removal.

There was a soft spot on the starboard side floor. I am attributing it to the nails used to secure the deck. I have almost finished removing all the rotten wood which was not much thankfully. I'm going to siphon out the remaining fuel tonight and remove the fuel tank next. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with the fuel tank fill, air vent and supply hose. They stick up past the deck and I would have to raise the deck 3-4 inches to accomdate them. Or else ?

image.jpg image.jpg

Take the tank out and have the fitting rewelded so the fill comes out the back side of the tank and should be able to lower the vent and fuel delivery hoses

Got all the gas out this afternoon (only 60L left in tank so not to bad). Cut out the ply on top of the tank but couldn't get it to budge. I'm going to have to cut down below the tank and pry it up... That will have to wait for another day though, I'm spent after 20+ hours on the tools this weekend.

Tomorrow I'm going to start prepping the transom as I would like to have the boat to the pod builder this weekend.

image.jpg

Reactions: NDT
Easier to cut out that bulkhead at the rear of the tank and ply it out towards the transom.

Spent some time tonight cutting out the screw holes from the old out drive and some more rot along the port side. I have a electric heater on it tonight so hopefully it will be dry tomorrow. The fiberglass at the back of the transom is half inch thick!

image.jpg image.jpg

I picked up one of these tonight to make precision cuts and get into tight spaces. I am super impressed with it and would recommend it.

image.jpg

Good call EFG.I bought the identical tool for my floor and stringer job as well.I found the Wood/Drywall/Metal Saw Blade # MM452 much more durable compared to the one in your photo especially if you are cutting a lot of fiberglass or near any screws or nails.You're right though,they are super handy especially in tight spots!

This gas tank is beating me down a bit every night... The spray foam is like glue and it just won't let go! I had two pry bars in there tonight but still no dice! I have reinforcements coming tomorrow night so I decided to leave it and work on the transom.

image.jpg

Cut a couple pieces of 3/4 ply to fit in the old outdrive hole and a piece to hold them in and reinforce the transom a bit. I will fibreglass the piece that holds the plugs in as we as gel coat it when I gel coat the deck.

Quick question about gel coat as a deck finish.

What do you guys use for traction?

I was thinking about using a kiwi grip roller for a textured finish, would that work?

image.jpg image.jpg

Back