Malibu boats

Ghostprof

I am considering buying a Malibu 16' boat used here in Victoria, but I'm unfamiliar with the brand and the stuff online seems to say they are mostly for wakeboarding and waterskiing. Does anyone have experience with these boats? How do they stack up against say a Double Eagle in the same size? Thank you for any tips at all.

Most of the Malibu are lake boats. The TYEE by Malibu is actually nearly identical to a double eagle hull though as I understand they bought the DE mold and modified it slightly. Entirely depends on the model.

There is more than one Malibu boats out there. The ones built in the interior were well built. I believe one of the Double Eagle designers was involved in Malibu and had a say in on the 17’ hull. That is why the 17’ Malibu Tyee is so similar to the double eagle. I had a 182 for 5 years and it was a well built boat and had a lot of free board. Not sure about the 16’ at all but assume similar quality...

There is more than one Malibu boats out there. The ones built in the interior were well built. I believe one of the Double Eagle designers was involved in Malibu and had a say in on the 17’ hull. That is why the 17’ Malibu Tyee is so similar to the double eagle. I had a 182 for 5 years and it was a well built boat and had a lot of free board. Not sure about the 16’ at all but assume similar quality...
Thanks! This one is a 162, built in 1986, if that helps place it at all. I don't know enough to say how similar it is to the DE, but this one seems seaworthy enough -- it's made trips to Galiano in the past.

Most of the Malibu are lake boats. The TYEE by Malibu is actually nearly identical to a double eagle hull though as I understand they bought the DE mold and modified it slightly. Entirely depends on the model.
It's a 162 built in 1986, if that helps ID it. Thank you.

Just checked the tag and it is built by Interior Fibreglass, the model being the Malibu 162.

This is from the dealer brochure from around 2003....I know I’m not a hoarder. Lol. The 162 wasn’t built still at this time but here is a page on the build process....

Attachments

• 4075A889-BB2E-458D-9852-8B06C875FCF9.jpeg
    4075A889-BB2E-458D-9852-8B06C875FCF9.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 74
We have boated and fished from a 1992 Malibu Tyee for over 20 years. It's a solid boat with a good reputation that's well deserved. With reliable power, I don't see you going wrong with a (B.C. built) Malibu boat. As with any older boat, check stringers, transom and floor, though.

Owed a 162 for over 20 years. Been pretty well all over the island, both lakes and ocean. The only problem is in a following sea over about 2 feet have to be careful not to bury the bow as they are a low front end. Pm me if you want to discuss further. Other than that a great small boat.

Owed a 162 for over 20 years. Been pretty well all over the island, both lakes and ocean. The only problem is in a following sea over about 2 feet have to be careful not to bury the bow as they are a low front end. Pm me if you want to discuss further. Other than that a great small boat.
Thank you! I will be in touch.

Had a 18' Malibu 185 man those boats are nice. Really well built hull and transom. had a 115 and it was plenty. 1989 with a 4 year old motor and double axle trailer for $8700 two electric downriggers and bbq. loved that boat.

The 162 Malibu doesn't compare to any of the boats mentioned,it's a lot smaller and low to the water line.I have a 17 Tyee and all the Malibu boats were well built.You can use it in the chuck,but it is very small and as someone else said you may have water coming over the bow.If you can find a Tyee or 17 Double Eagle ,they will be much safer in the ocean.

The 162 Malibu doesn't compare to any of the boats mentioned,it's a lot smaller and low to the water line.I have a 17 Tyee and all the Malibu boats were well built.You can use it in the chuck,but it is very small and as someone else said you may have water coming over the bow.If you can find a Tyee or 17 Double Eagle ,they will be much safer in the ocean.
i just bought the 175 its tated for a 165 hp motor

Back