Malibu boats (Tyee)

King_Cod

I am looking at a 17foot malibu Tyee. Anyone have one of these? Apparently it has the same hull as a double eagle is this true?

The boat package also comes with a Merc 115 optimax two stroke is this good or bad?

Any help would be appreciated.

Stan

We just got ours a year ago. Ours is a 2005 with a 90 merc and a 8 yamie. I have been really happy with it. Great hull, double eagle sold the model to tyee and i have been told it has a better fiberglass/gelcoat that DE(not sure if true or not). The hull rarely takes waves over the bow so its a ride dry. Really cuts through the average 2ft chop for a comfortable ride.

It has handled everything we have been through well 5-6ft chop,swell ect. Its obviously not an offshore boat we took it to 7 mile comfortably this summer. I dont think theres many boats in its size much better for fishing. Our layout is a sleeper on one side and a swivle on the captains with a big padded cooler behind it as well there are two small seats in the back corners.

The 90s been good i forget how fast we get up to i think 40mph loaded and i cruise at 21knts and its pretty good on gas. The 115 should be plenty of motor and the heard the optis last forever. The 8 is also fine as a kicker we have it installed on the transom not a bracket.

There has been times i wished for a bigger boat (20+) but rarely for what i ushually do. Its also pretty light i think 3000ish lbs so we can tow it with our v6. Any other questions just ask i did a decent amount of research before we picked it up. Heres a few pics

derby.jpg

a1.jpg

boat.jpg

boat1-1.jpg

boat2-1.jpg

Nice boat. We have a 17 double eagle and have been in some pretty nasty stuff not by choice and it handles great. We looked at both, from what I was told the interior finish on the Tyee was a little nicer than the double eagle, we went with the double eagle based on the deal we ended up getting. 115 will be lots of power as Kelly Said. Good Luck. Great boat.

We bought one new in 1997 and still have it. LOVE IT! Easy to tow, fits in the garage, safe and pretty roomy. We use it for salmon fishihng, crabbing and prawning. It's a great all-around fishing machine.

We replaced the original 2 stroke 90 with a 4-stroke Yamaha 90. We cruise at around 25 mph at 4200 rpm. I would probably upgrade to the 115 4-stroke for some extra power next time.

Yes they are the same hull shape.I owned a 17 Double Eagle for 28 years.A couple of my friends own the Tyees, and I have been out in them,good boat.115 horse is okay.Dan

I thank you all for your replies. It is very appreciated! I will test drive this boat on Monday.From the pics posted and the info shared I think I am really going to like this boat.

I've got the Malibu 182 which is the 18ft cuddy. Powered with a Honda 115 (i.e. big and heavy) and a Honda 8. Love the boat. Build quality is great, ride quality is pretty good for what it is. The Honda 115 pushes my rig at a top end of 40mph and cruises at 28mph at 4000rpm with full gas/gear and one passenger.

Same as Kelly, I've had mine out 7-10 miles offshore and that was good enough. I've got no regrets buying it.

I also have a Malibu Tyee with a 115 hp Merc and for the size and design it handles very well. One difference that I have noted in comparing the Tyee with the Double Eagle is that the transom on the Tyee is approx. 3/8 inch thicker.

If memory serves, the guy that started Malibu Boats had his origins working with Sangster; same as the guy that started Zeta Boats in 1972 out of Vancouver. Older Sangsters are still renowned as good heavy, robustly built West Coast runabouts.

If the Malibu's are built to the same standards as the Sangsters' and my old Zeta (5/8-inch thick fiberglass from the top of the freeboard to the keel) you should have nothing to worry about.

Good Luck!

I went on the test drive today and the wife and I loved it. The 2 stroke merc had a little vibration but it is still on break in. Took some waves at 30mph and it handled them very well. Max speed was 45mph and was very smooth.

Question: Would any of you install trim tabs on a 17 foot boat? Is this necessary?

Here is the boat and outboard.

2818_91579011132_575246132_2974646_1099576_n.jpg

2818_91579021132_575246132_2974648_6214964_n.jpg

Sweet boat i like the step on the back. I think on a boat that size the engines tilt is sufficient to trim it out. If the engines not trimmed well, the ride sucks and getting on plane/speed is the pits.

quote:Originally posted by kelly

Sweet boat i like the step on the back. I think on a boat that size the engines tilt is sufficient to trim it out. If the engines not trimmed well, the ride sucks and getting on plane/speed is the pits.

These boats have not changed much over the years. This boat looks almost identical to yours Kelly.

Just curious what the fuel tanks options are there. How are your boats rigged?

Yea is it an 08? Same as mine except for the grid and seating layout.I just saw the hardtop for sale at that dealership and it looks awsome!but the softops probaly more functional.

Bruizer its a belly tank set a bit to the rear. When you get a few guys back there its a little back heavy as you can see from the first pic. My engine also sits very low on the transom and the transom itself is somewhat low so you dont wanna take a following sea.

Heres a few for sale if your in the market although the older one is sold

http://www.boats.com/dealer/dealer_...ask=newBoats&No=0&Ns=DAll_make|0;DAll_model|0

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...n&safe=off&rlz=1T4SNYO_enCA303CA303&sa=N&um=1

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...n&safe=off&rlz=1T4SNYO_enCA303CA303&sa=N&um=1

King_cod,

Just a headsup on the trailer, those look to be 13" wheels, with the boat fully loaded (i.e. 130 litres of gas, kicker, downriggers, cannonballs,rods, refreshments etc.)and if they are 13" wheels you will be pushing the gross carrying capacity of the trailer. Most dealers usually undersell the trailer. I have the same set-up and I upgraded mine to 14" wheels.

quote:Originally posted by AlK

King_cod,

Just a headsup on the trailer, those look to be 13" wheels, with the boat fully loaded (i.e. 130 litres of gas, kicker, downriggers, cannonballs,rods, refreshments etc.)and if they are 13" wheels you will be pushing the gross carrying capacity of the trailer. Most dealers usually undersell the trailer. I have the same set-up and I upgraded mine to 14" wheels.

Thanks fot the heads up. I will inquire on some larger rims and tires for the trailer.

Kelly it is a 2008 model. I checked out the 2007 on used Vic and contacted the customer earlier today. He is asking 30,000 obo.

I run a 18' Hourston hardtop which is pretty similar to the double eagles and tyee. Mine has a 30 gallon belly tank. With 4 stroke power and kicker, and all the other accesories added to the rear, a bow tank or both bow tank and shorter belly tank might be the way to go if purchasing a new boat.

I'm thinking doing this and then using the space nearer the transom for a fish locker.

king_cod maybe something to look into if buying from dealer.

Back