• Thread starter Deleted member 8461
  • Start date
You guys that do the airbrush painting are really talented. It is really cool to see what can be done. I started heating and dipping the powder paint but quickly moved on to using a fluid bed which greatly improved the quality. I have never really been "artsy" but I love being able to take some feathers and make a product that I can catch fish with. I don't sell many but its a good way to cover some costs as others have said and give to friends and trade for things I might need.

Rhys

My favorite part about tying jigs is that there are no rules regarding how a jig should look. It’s not like tying flies where your trying to mimic a food source that trout often key onto.

I see lots of guys out East fishing with Bucktails, I am not sure what people do out here in the ocean.

Do you think you could jig for salmon in the Vedder/Harrison/Stave? I mostly see people making the 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 oz roundhead jigs tied with marabou, rabbit etc.

I saw a video of an old guy that made a bucktail making jig out of a fishing rod, reel and some type of vise and he could make a ton of them really quick.

Rhys

I’m curious, do many guys tie their own bucktails? I think it would be super cool to have a Coho smash a bucktail in the prop wash.

I see lots of guys out East fishing with Bucktails, I am not sure what people do out here in the ocean.

Do you think you could jig for salmon in the Vedder/Harrison/Stave? I mostly see people making the 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 oz roundhead jigs tied with marabou, rabbit etc.

I saw a video of an old guy that made a bucktail making jig out of a fishing rod, reel and some type of vise and he could make a ton of them really quick.

Rhys

I know guys that do very well with Buzz Bombs on the Harrison when the Big Whites roll in.

I’ve had incredible success float fishing jigs for Chum in the Harrison. Rhys, weren’t you part of one of those outing?

I know guys that do very well with Buzz Bombs on the Harrison when the Big Whites roll in.

I’ve had incredible success float fishing jigs for Chum in the Harrison. Rhys, weren’t you part of one of those outing?

Yeah I was there with my family two years ago I think it was. Denali brought us over from Island 22 when I first got my boat and wasn't sure of the area.

Short floating marabou jigs has been amazing for me for chum in the Harrison and Stave rivers, that is such a great fishery to get the blood going.

I have not had much luck yet twitching jigs for coho but hope to have success this year.

I might pour and tie some bucktail jigs to give them a try locally in freshwater.

Rhys

A while back I got my hands on a bunch of retired Tomic and Silver Horde plugs. Some sanding and a primer base coat I had a blank canvas to play with. It was fun to paint something other than a spoon.

What type of primer & base did you use?
And have you tested the finish durability in action?

Have several hundred I need to re-work here...

TIA for any / all intel!
Nog

PS: Just saw you're using the 2 part clear coat. Good stuff!

What type of primer & base did you use?
And have you tested the finish durability in action?

Have several hundred I need to re-work here...

TIA for any / all intel!
Nog

PS: Just saw you're using the 2 part clear coat. Good stuff!

Plugs are prepped with a good sanding to remove most of the paint then followed up with a rattle can primer. I’ve used a Rustoleum product meant for resin lawn chairs that seems to adhere very well. This primer is the only rattle can product that I use for anything. I’ve also tried Killz primer but the juries not out on its effectiveness. The primers are followed up with either Createx or AutoAir basecoats and color.

A couple of years ago I tried Concrete Sealer as a top coat after reading about it on Tackleunderground forum. A lot of the crankbaits artists swore by its durability when targeting toothy fish while ripping their lures through debris ridden cover. It’s super easy to apply with just a quick dip into the sealer then allowed to drip dry. The stuff is extremely durable but if left in the hot sun will soften and become tacky. I also tried it on spoons but found on the Chrome very fine spiderweb cracks would form. These cracks probably didn’t effect the finish but it didn’t look great.

My top coats now are exclusively 2-part clears. Super tough stuff that make the colors underneath really pop but safety precaution must be used when applying.

On deck are still a couple dozen Tomic and Silver Horde plugs waiting to be brought back to life. Plugs are sure fun to paint but seem like most guys don’t take the opportunity to fish them.

Nog, I painted a couple of your needle fish spoons that I acquired a few years back. Beautiful spoons and again fun to throw paint on something new. Are you still producing these spoons? I’d love to get ahold of a few more Blanks.

7C8ECADF-3419-4D41-BF88-54F86AB40142.jpeg

Great Information!
Very much appreciated!!

I had issues when using an automotive primer on the plugs.
Even after clear coating with 2 part mix, the paint would flake off after a few good springs whacked them.
Will look into what you've noted here, and give it another round...

...Nog, I painted a couple of your needle fish spoons that I acquired a few years back. Beautiful spoons and again fun to throw paint on something new. Are you still producing these spoons? I’d love to get ahold of a few more Blanks.

Unfortunately my so-called "partner" stabbed me in the back and we no longer associate.
I may resurrect these down the line.
Jury (literally impending court) is still out on that...

Cheers,
Nog

Unfortunately my so-called "partner" stabbed me in the back and we no longer associate.
I may resurrect these down the line.
Jury (literally impending court) is still out on that...

Cheers,
Nog

I’m sorry to hear about your partnership. I hope you can resolve the issues and move on. Your lures look awesome and it would be great to see them back on the shelves.

So much cool stuff here. The things you guys paint are amazing.

I just took delivery of 1000 more hooks so I guess I will get to pouring and painting soon.

I'm hoping to modify my mold to accept these big 2/0 hooks I use and pour 1/8 and 1/4 oz round heads as well.

Rhys

Git-back at'er. I'll be painting up a bunch of these 6oz baby deep droppers very soon. My workshop is still too full of crud since my move to the new homestead to set up my paint booth. So soon. That's all that I will commit to at this vary second in time. Ha.

These are not my designs, but the deal was too good to turn down... :)

How do you prep and paint the lead?

2DBC0F03-C396-490D-91B4-AF84625E9B57.jpg 28C9361D-2B5B-48A7-9159-CC4671328D24.jpg
I got 4 lbs of powder paint from back east for lead "painting". Crude process for now. It only chips off if I get it too hot during the curing after the initial application.

How are you applying the powder?

Since i switched to my home made paint fluid bed my processing time has decreased and quality increased.

I run two toaster ovens ( one free, the other $10). Preheat the jigs in one laid out on a small baking sheet, grab with pliers and run them over a heat gun, swish in the fluid bed, tap off any excess, then hook them on the rack of the other toaster oven. Bake for time suggested per each paint color.

I couldn't get out fishing yesterday so I spent some time pourings 300 more jigs (only 800 more to go after that) and getting them ready for paint. I should have done this in the summer but I got lazy :)

I have a Do-It 7/9 oz mold. I transferred some powder paint from the plastic bags they came in to some smaller plastic containers
So far, for the initial heating, I've hung them in the barbecue, my home oven(too smelly and dubious safety) and used a heat gun I didn't have before. Then I dust on the powder from a small paint brush or a spoon, knock off any excess, then re-heat and sometimes dust on more colours and heat again. I hold the hot jigs with pliers. The jigs are too long to hang in a toaster oven.
Like I said, crude. The home oven is best for knowing the curing temp, but I've been banned from using it again, and the heat gun is a big guess for curing.
I've seen some fluid beds on the google, but most are for smaller lead heads. The bottom fish don't care, and hit the plain lead too.
You don't need many jigs to catch three rockfish and a ling or two.
My next expense would be on a 3, 4, or 5 ounce mold before a fluid bed or different oven.

Back