Making your own creations: Tackle, lures...

Discussion in 'General Open Forum' started by StormTrooper, Aug 5, 2018.

1. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Active Member

I have been making fishing tackle since I was 13. I even played my hand at fly tying, but my younger brother was way better at it than me...as we were always in a competition, I moved into other areas that better suited me and what I could accomplish.

I wanted to start this tread in order to develop a dialog of sorts with other like minded members that really enjoy making and catching fish on their very own creations. Even modifications etc. to existing tackle is cool too. :)

What have you been up to? I will share a few things that I do, and that I have recently been playing with, but by no means is this thread at all about me, so please chime in at any time and share your passion, thoughts, ideas and feedback. :)

Attached Files:

2. tyeeking

tyeeking Member

That's some nice looking stuff Storm Trooper. I enjoy tying walleye spinners to the point that I create them faster than I can use them. I also pour most of my own jig heads from large Ling/Halibut jig heads to smaller walleye jig heads.

I'm curious if anyone has ventured into using a 3D printer for making their own plugs? Seems like a world of possibilities there.

StormTrooper likes this.
  3. StormTrooper

The Jughead Shaker teaser head started as a DIY project using two part molds, then jumped to 3D printer after the inventor recognized the need for shape consistency before they created the production molds for continuous hot plastic pressure shots. The easy part is setting up for printing, there is an awkward part if not knowledgeable in 3D composition software. There is a gentle learning curb, however it could become costly at first if you don't do hands-on through the design part of the process. Then your project costs may level out over time in production. Printing is a great tool for fast prototyping and minimal run production. Which is great for the DIY hobbyist. :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  4. ILHG

ILHG Well-Known Member

Great looking stuff man. Love the traditional art work on the jigs.

StormTrooper likes this.
  5. StormTrooper

This prototype that I created yesterday didn't finish up the way I wanted it to. I tried to fuse the mylar into the center of the plastic. My technique didn't quite work out the way I wanted it to. I am making another one in plain plastic to see if it will form better, then attach the mylar to the exterior surface and paint highlights. Its the first one, I always count my fails as successes because I learn so much in the process. It's still fishable so that's what I'll do. This is a totally tunable lure, rigid but flexible. Just bend into shape and go fishing. Hope's up. :)

Attached Files:

Stizzla and Waterwolf2230 like this.
  6. StormTrooper

A quickie update on my last attempt to make something interesting to use trolling for various species in both fresh and saltwater. I had an opportunity to do a tiny bit more research and also had a great conversation with one of VI's local gurus who in the end of it has lead me in the right direction. His tips came in extremely handy and also helped me to excel my process from six hours right down to a measly two and a half hours until I can shed the mold. This time savings is substantial and now makes my project just a bit more viable from a personal use standpoint. If I was going into build a full on production run to sell any product to the masses, then I would certainly look at many differnt more feasible ways to accomplish an end result that would be more conducive to said item. None the less, I am elated with enthusiasm and positive thoughts of finding a cool, fun new tool to add into my arsenal. Once I have a few more built, and color patterns completed I will develop further dialog and upload some more media. :)

Cheers.

What have you been making? Chili Spoons? Anyone? :)

ILHG and Waterwolf2230 like this.
  7. Rhys

Rhys New Member

Stormtrooper, those are some awesome creations.

I started pouring, painting and tying jigs a couple of years ago as something to do when the wife was at work and the kids were a sleep at night. Its a fun little side gig. Lots of learning, a number of mistakes but the fish don't seem to mind if there is a paint drip on the jig nose or the pour is slightly off.

Rhys

StormTrooper likes this.
  8. StormTrooper

Nice work, I bet the steel, ho's and hawgs love'em. I'd short float them. Very cool. :)

9. StormTrooper

Further to my dialog regarding my lure concept experiments...although I have cast metal products as a young teen and then again in my 30's when I started producing wholesale lead based products for tackle shops to retail, I had never actually developed any experience with plastic molding. This lack of knowledge in my process shows in a demonsterous way, therefor I need to do even more research. I am currently using two part mix and pour foundations to create the substrate, which is fine as the end result is turning out beautify. The main issue that I am having seems to lays out after the cure time has exhausted and when I am trying to now form the bend into the lure body - it breaks. Polyester is easy and fast to work with, however as I have reticently discovered, it is not as flexible as I had envisioned. I am now trying a new formula with another mixed product. I'll keep you informed and let you know when I have hit success. :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Rhys, tyeeking and wishiniwasfishin1 like this.
  10. ChilliSpoons

ChilliSpoons Active Member

Stormtrooper, you clearly are an artist. It’s creative minds like yours that’ll produce the next must have “go-to” lure. And great idea starting this thread.

I started airbrushing spoons about 7 years ago after reading someone’s thread on a fishing forum. I messaged the original poster (BigFishMike) to learn a little more. And that’s where the addiction started. Mike was very supportive as we shared ideas, techniques and successes. We became great friends and still support each other’s hobbies. I owe a great deal to Mike and wouldn’t have stuck with this hobby as long as I have.

Of the years I've developed my own techniques and style. Some have been successes while others somewhat less. I like what Stormtrooper mentioned regarding failures as successes.

Friends and family were always pushing me to market my spoons but I was reluctant to sell until I could be confident in the durability of the finished product. Prototypes filled friends and families tackle boxes but no money was ever excepted. In a lot of cases the spoons were the equivalent of gas money to boat owners who were generously taking me out on the water.

Rattle can clear coats were what I started with to top coat my spoons. With no mixing or fancy equipment to apply it was a no brainer for ease of use. But after a few fish the lures were covered with scars and the paint was failing. While I love seeing scars as a victory on the effectiveness of my creations I couldn’t stand behind the quality of the finished product.

I now use top quality paints from start to finish and have had nothing but good responses on the durability of my finished. And the same with hooks, I only use Stainless Steel Mustad hooks.

Being confident in my product but still somewhat reluctant on the direction I wanted to go I started an Instagram account (ChilliSpoons2017) to see what kind of interest there would be. Well responses have been overwhelming with orders from all over BC, the Great Lakes, and through Washington, Oregon and especially California. In fact I’m currently so low on inventory I’ve postponed many orders until I can receive more blanks and build up stock.

Here’s a couple of looks, I’ll add to it more later.

Burban, one of the members on this forum has been into over 20 fish including a Ling on my BigBangTheory spoon and reports not a mark on it.

The SoupKitchen UV.
    This is a unique look with a splash of blue on one side and green on the flip side. This spoon has been a top seller and very productive.

9FD1724D-5284-49C0-9E42-59539501BB60.jpeg

The HornyGirl UV spoon has produced well in fresh and in salt water.

7B236CD5-3230-4441-8C4A-1334EB312436.jpeg

NauticalDisaster Glow. Another hot seller and productive pattern.

0AA76593-5BFA-49D5-BA3F-E56C652FEAD4.jpeg

The NauticalDisaster shown in the dark.

53F2880C-32C0-4AAA-B208-8E09546863FE.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 2:16 PM
    Rhys, paguy, tyeeking and 1 other person like this.
  11. StormTrooper

Beautiful. Nice work! :)

ChilliSpoons likes this.
  12. tyeeking

tyeeking Member

Beautiful work ChilliSpoons and Storm Trooper! I both respect and envy your creative talents. To be able to produce such beautiful and functional creations is a true gift.

ChilliSpoons likes this.
  13. walleyes

walleyes Well-Known Member

Some nice work gentlemen.

14. ChilliSpoons

For anyone interested in starting this hobby I have a little advice. Do it!!!

But don’t expect immediate results or to make any money. Do it because it’s fun and you want the satisfaction of catching or seeing your creations catching fish.

I don’t want to think about how much money I’ve put into this hobby but then again which hobbys are free? Quality components cost money as well as the equipment to put it all together. It really has to be something you enjoy to make it all worthwhile.

When I started working minimum wage was $1.65/hr and here I am 35 years later making pretty much the same hourly wage. Yes, I now sell spoons but it won’t be financing any purchases any time soon. I’m just happy if it covers my costs enough to continue and my customers send me pictures of their catches.

The next three pictures are all from California and all from different customers. I never knew how chunky those fish are around San Fran.

BC397EB4-E9C4-4BA5-8F1A-444FE111FCBA.jpeg BB2DE7FB-5D3B-4F43-B1B2-CABFA6A70165.jpeg 20412E83-CFE4-43E1-92F2-00BBAA213D1A.jpeg

Here’s a pic from Burban with the BigBangTheory which has produced over 20 fish with no wear and tear on the paint.

A1B7EF59-1715-44CD-B7B3-8F05B26A37FB.jpeg

Pictures and reports like these are what make it all worthwhile.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 2:11 PM
    tyeeking, tains and StormTrooper like this.
  15. StormTrooper

True that. I have put my hobby into business numerous times over the years, but I keep turning it back into a hobby - it's more joyful and fulfilling. I really like the artful, creative side of making fun things to catch fish with. My path is where it goes, where it takes me is by my own discernment. I am Creator. :)

ChilliSpoons likes this.
  16. ChilliSpoons

I was and still am reluctant on how far to pursue the business side of things. I don’t want to be stuck in my dungeon pumping out orders when I can be on the end of a rod with a hard charging fish on the other end. And seeing my buddies having success with my spoons is better than a random stranger if I were to sell through tackle shops.

I really haven’t marketed my spoons other than displaying them on my Instagram page. It really has taken off and now I feel a little pressure to paint to fulfill orders. My strategy over the winter will be quite different then last winter before the demand took off.

StormTrooper likes this.
  17. StormTrooper

An old friend once said to me when I was in my teens...Build and sell what you know works, don't take orders for items that you have no stock of. Basically what I got out of it was that I would have less pressure on me if I enjoyed building what I know works and to only sell what won't affect my quality of time. Be big or small, there is no in between. Not for sanity sake anyway. :)

Ps. The same fella also said that I should never go big with just one product range to sell. He said to be successful I would need a minimum of 10 product ranges. That's a whole lotta building for one guy. Hobby it is! Ha. Here I am :)

ChilliSpoons likes this.
  18. ChilliSpoons

A while back I got my hands on a bunch of retired Tomic and Silver Horde plugs. Some sanding and a primer base coat I had a blank canvas to play with. It was fun to paint something other than a spoon.

CBAD713A-66EF-49AB-89F4-4B96D2CBAEBF.jpeg DC6DB062-65C0-4FDC-958B-A52290673D9F.jpeg 398E7AB0-B525-4C1C-9AE7-36C974E82F1C.jpeg

kingblazer84, Oly1 and StormTrooper like this.
  19. StormTrooper

Ain't no lead lure... :)
    Cool, mixed alloy squid body slow drop drift jig.

ILHG likes this.
  20. Capilano

Capilano Active Member

Your painting and attention to detail is outstanding. With the plugs and spoons, do you spray a couple of coats of clear over top of the base paint to perhaps, add just a bit more protection?