Making your own carbon fiber drag washers?

kingblazer84

image0 (14).jpeg Has anybody bought a small sheet of the carbon fibre material to make their own drag washers im thinking of doing this for my TFO's instead of the cork is it even possible?.

Last edited:
I have updated all of my reels with carbon drag washers. The material I bought was from the link below.
Great service and fast shipping from Australia. Make sure you get the right thickness for your reel.
They sell both 1mm and 0.5mm thickness. These smaller sheets have enough material to do up to 7 reels.

https://downriggershop.com/collections/all-products/products/carbontex-drag-washers

Has anybody bought a small sheet of the carbon fibre material to make their own drag washers im thinking of doing this for my TFO's instead of the cork is it even possible?.

I have updated all of my reels with carbon drag washers. The material I bought was from the link below.
Great service and fast shipping from Australia. Make sure you get the right thickness for your reel.
They sell both 1mm and 0.5mm thickness. These smaller sheets have enough material to do up to 7 reels.

https://downriggershop.com/collections/all-products/products/carbontex-drag-washers

how did you get fix the drag washer to the reel body? glue? normally the cork comes with the tacky glue to hold it in place.

Last edited:
On a Mitchell or Diawa reel there is no glue used... Your TFO reel may be different. Probably best to contact the maker to see about upgrades.
You may be able to just install carbon washer without glue.

how did you get fix the drag washer to the reel body? glue? normally the cork comes with the tacky glue to hold it in place.

I would not recommend you replace of the cork and change to carbon fiber as the CF drag will really wear the aluminum spool. There are things you could do with the cork and spool to improve the drag. You would want the reel designed so that the carbon fiber contacts steel not aluminum. Thats why most of the new mooch designs have gone to CF stacks with ss washers instead of using CF in place of the cork ................... the new islanders for example.

I would not recommend you replace of the cork and change to carbon fiber as the CF drag will really wear the aluminum spool. There are things you could do with the cork and spool to improve the drag. You would want the reel designed so that the carbon fiber contacts steel not aluminum. Thats why most of the new mooch designs have gone to CF stacks with ss washers instead of using CF in place of the cork ................... the new islanders for example.

thats the answer im looking for, does anybody have any pics of the what the new tr3's look like on the inside for drag setup?

Back