Making Bacon

Just priced out sides with the rind on, $5.09 lb, cost more with the rind off. Mid Vancouver Island area at a well know meat supplier. Tried Nanaimo Costco as well, (as I just picked up a couple of sides down in a Seattle area Costco for $2.99 US per lb). but they have never carried them. Going to see next week if the commercial suppliers are any cheaper.

Anyone in for a group buy? Would definitely take a 100lbs or so.

Good luck in your search .

Well, finally getting around to making the bacon. Brined for 4 days and now infront of the fan for overnight. Will smoke with Applewood for about 5 hrs tomorrow. Pictures tomorrow.

View attachment 37522
Thanks to getbent and fishing solo. Cooking some up now to decide If I want to double smoke or not.

Do you guys ever make Chicarrones with the skin?
Try cold smoking some, it is “The Bomb”. Because they are cured the internal temp is not critical.
Usually use the rind for baked beans or dog treats.

Cool your bacon “low&slow”...super important

IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0553.JPG Last baked beans I did I put them in the smoker under a couple racks of ribs I was smoking then finished them on the wood stove with liberal helpings of beer to make up liquid......I like the idea of the skin to ad smoke to the beans though. Thanks for the tip!

Just picked up some pork bellies at Save-On in Parksville today, on sale for $3.99 per pound, not bad looking, little on the thin side but managed to get a few thicker ones. I’ll be making bacon again in a few weeks, good timing as I am down to my last 4 packs of my last batch:).

I have the recipe from the head butcher for Red Barn market. I just want to know that others have done this at home in a non commercial smoker. IE: big chief or Bradley.
i love this thread, how did this recipe work for you in the Bradley? can you share the brine recipe?

You can buy pretty decent bellies right from Britco in Langley but they have a pretty hefty minimum.
Every year , as we know, pork goes on sale in the New Year. Everything from whole legs (hams) to shoulder/butts (sausage) to bellies.
Buy Low foods has Bellies on around this time for about $3/lb...Britco is around $3/lb but I think the minimum is 50lbs right now.

The very best, is to find someone who breeds and sells heritage pork, far more pricey, but is a complete game changer...our commercial pork is raised to be lean.
The heritage breeds are far more flavorful with a higher degree of fat which you need for good side bacon...if you want lean, use a different cut of pork IMHO.
do you buy skin on bellies or skinless? (rind on/rind less)

Why is that? Cost? Does the skin help in the smoking process?
I like skin on as the fat layer doesn’t absorb the smoke as much and stays creamy white. The rind once it’s smoked is great to throw in baked beans, soups, etc.
just my preference and how I was taught years ago. I have smoked skinless as well. Not the end of the world by any means. I find it easier to remove after it has been smoked.

I like skin on as the fat layer doesn’t absorb the smoke as much and stays creamy white. The rind once it’s smoked is great to throw in baked beans, soups, etc.
just my preference and how I was taught years ago. I have smoked skinless as well. Not the end of the world by any means. I find it easier to remove after it has been smoked.
Thanks!

Would someone be so kind as to share the brine recipe youve used, maybe guys brine? Ive tried and tried, and its always too salty.

Try this one, I don't find it too salty.
You will need a scale though.

Picked up a couple bellies for $3.49 lb. Will be sifting through all of this to do a batch. If anyone has any hints or tips since this died I'd appreciate it.

Picked up a couple bellies for $3.49 lb. Will be sifting through all of this to do a batch. If anyone has any hints or tips since this died I'd appreciate it.

Let me know how lean those are. Only reason I didn't buy any is because my buddy is doing up a shitton of bacon right now and he's doing up 30 lbs for me. That was a good deal, skin on but still a good deal. They looked great

Love the bacon recipes what about a pork belly recipe,I've only had it once at the Kirin restaurant ,they do a deep fried pork belly that was delicious. I tried an internet recipe but wasn't my favorite.

Last edited:
Back