Making Bacon

Discussion in 'Recipes, Storage and Preparation of Seafood' started by tinboatrobb, Dec 1, 2017.

1. tinboatrobb

tinboatrobb Active Member

A bunch of trout and 4 pieces of salmon in the brine. Will post final product tomorrow. I figure 8hr brine, 4hrs of fan and then smoke for 5hrs. Anyone see a problem with that? Trout were 2 to 4 lbs each so not thick fillets. Salt and brown sugar for brine.

Attached Files:

2. nicnat

nicnat Active Member

where do you guys that make bacon in the vancouver area find is the best place to buy your pork bellies?

3. fishin solo

fishin solo Well-Known Member

0A40D3A5-80CA-41F1-9B91-E2036CE0ED80.jpeg C9C98C37-8F38-4F98-8662-AA512A95AF33.jpeg 0A40D3A5-80CA-41F1-9B91-E2036CE0ED80.jpeg All sliced up ready to eat

4. tinboatrobb

Trout and a few pieces of salmon all done ready for vac packing. Quite tasty.

Attached Files:

Reeltime likes this.
  5. Rain City

Rain City Well-Known Member

I buy my meat at Beefway on Kingsway.

Reeltime likes this.
  6. Reeltime

Reeltime Well-Known Member

This bacon needs to be stared at for a long time... spilling my drink ;) ** @fishin solo bacon**
    baco1.jpeg
    bacon 2.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    marbledmurrelet and SteelyDan like this.
  7. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Well-Known Member

Let's get this bacon thread back on track. 20180101_160758.jpg

8. Reeltime

Great thread and the product looks unreal you guys , gonna start a tradition in making bacon, like smoked salmon every year.
    i swear i keep coming back for a look.

9. getbent

getbent Well-Known Member

You can buy pretty decent bellies right from Britco in Langley but they have a pretty hefty minimum.
    Every year , as we know, pork goes on sale in the New Year. Everything from whole legs (hams) to shoulder/butts (sausage) to bellies.
    Buy Low foods has Bellies on around this time for about $3/lb...Britco is around $3/lb but I think the minimum is 50lbs right now.

The very best, is to find someone who breeds and sells heritage pork, far more pricey, but is a complete game changer...our commercial pork is raised to be lean.
    The heritage breeds are far more flavorful with a higher degree of fat which you need for good side bacon...if you want lean, use a different cut of pork IMHO.

Reeltime and Derby like this.
  10. wolf

wolf Well-Known Member

Wish somewhere in vic/langford had a sale on pork bellys as well
    last batch I did was from local pigs man it was good

11. Gear'n'beer!

Gear'n'beer! Well-Known Member

My son works at glenwood meats so I picked up a 13.5 pound fresh belly yesterday. They have nice product and the prices aren't too rediculous but they certainly aren't $3 a pound!

I'll post pics when I have some free time to get this going.

Any brine suggestions?

12. fishin solo

fishin solo Well-Known Member

pm getbent his is really good best ive had and I'm on my third batch I like it a lot better then the pops brine

fish brain likes this.
  13. Derby

Derby Well-Known Member

yup...between the right way to cook bacon and his recipe ..pretty dam good stuff...:D

14. Captain PartyMarty

Captain PartyMarty Well-Known Member

Ok you guys, who can send me the recipe you guys are using looks so good!

15. Stizzla

Stizzla Well-Known Member

16. Reeltime

It sure could... thats all @fishin solo work , i just fixed his pic.

17. fishyboy99

fishyboy99 Active Member

13B30DD3-88A5-499D-A427-AA3248705284.jpeg Picked up a couple of smaller sides down at Costco in the US, $2.99 lb, 17lbs overall. Have them in the brine, now have to wait a couple of weeks. Not the usual Valentine’s Day gift to the wife, glad that she would rather have this than the other stuff.

Derby likes this.
  18. Cuba Libre

Cuba Libre Well-Known Member

19. tinboatrobb

Looking good. I will be smoking mine over Easter. Good luck

20. Stew

Stew New Member

I would love to try this. Can someone post a proven receipt? Just priced pork belly here in Smithers $6.09 a lb. How does that compare to down south?