Maggie Lake trout myth

CVmike

So some of you came here in hopes of a myth of a twenty pound trout coming out of this lake... But no such luck. Im wondering about they myth that there are trout in this lake at all! My uncles got a cabin in the area, and we've spent countless hours fishing it. Using everything from spoons, to plugs, to even the fool proof method of bait on the bottom and hardly have got a trout to show for it. What I think I need is some reassurance :p.

Anybody have any experiences fishing this lake? Or river system even? Times of year, spots, or even just stories of success would be helpful to me! Due to the large amount of salmon fry and their size I've come to accept my uncles idea that there is too much food in the lake, and the trout really arent that hungry. LOL not sure what I'd like to believe more... that the trout there are difficult to catch and hardly worth fishing... or that there are lots and we're just not getting them...

Thanks in advance!

Mike

theres big trout in almost all the lakes. a 9.4lber was taken from elk lake a couple of years ago, and a 8lber was taken yesterday from fuller. theres trout well over 10lbs in elk lake, theres just not many of them. having those fry in the lake will be helpful for producing large trout, cause they will be feeding on those. were you trolling? I would try something that imitates a salmon fry, when are the fry in the lake?

kunni

We've honestly tried everything! This time around was a shore fishing trip though, as some jerk built a lodge on the lake, and also bought the property with the boat ramp on it. He shut down the ramp to protect "his" fish. And yea, I have heard stories of big ones and steelies should be able to make it in there too but all the stories I've heard are from years and years ago and I just wondered if anyones got into them recently. The lake is gorgeous and seems like prime habitat but the numbers just dont seem to be there.

Probably get the odd summer steelhead in the lake in the fall. A nice fat 12 pound doe could easily turn into a twenty pound bow after the story has been told a few times.

regulation change, and bait ban

So some of you came here in hopes of a myth of a twenty pound trout coming out of this lake... But no such luck. Im wondering about they myth that there are trout in this lake at all! My uncles got a cabin in the area, and we've spent countless hours fishing it. Using everything from spoons, to plugs, to even the fool proof method of bait on the bottom and hardly have got a trout to show for it. What I think I need is some reassurance :p.

Anybody have any experiences fishing this lake? Or river system even? Times of year, spots, or even just stories of success would be helpful to me! Due to the large amount of salmon fry and their size I've come to accept my uncles idea that there is too much food in the lake, and the trout really arent that hungry. LOL not sure what I'd like to believe more... that the trout there are difficult to catch and hardly worth fishing... or that there are lots and we're just not getting them...

Thanks in advance

Thanks for pointing this out. There is a screw up in the regulations, this lake should be release all trout over 50cm, and bait ban in effect.

You would think that Maggie Lake would have the same regs as Toquart Lake, nothing over 50cm, bait and barb hook ban, obviously to protect wild anadromous fish, but as it stands right now Maggie is not listed in the table so only the regional rules apply.

Also, if there was an error made the regs, the Ministry could fix that with an in season update and there is nothing I can find.

Even the previous version of the regs makes no mention of Maggie. It's not a stocked Lake, so trout fishing will be slow IMO.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1011/fish-synopsis_2010-11.pdf

Back