Macerator

Duffer

In my boat I have two large fish coolers under the deck they werent draining well last season real slow. After checking it out there is a filter on the side of the pump which clogs up with fish guts etc I removed the water pump 40 PSI which works fine was wondering if you guys think I should replace the pump with a macerator instead of having to clean this damn filter all the time which is a pain to get at. Anyone had this problem? Also the lines have a three way valve on them so I have to manually switch it over so one cooler can only drain at a time. Is there a reason for this or can I set it up so both coolers can drain at the same time. If I set that up will it only work if both coolers are full of water? Thanks for any info

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

I have not tried it, nor thought about, until this. :)

I have screens on both my boxes, before anything goes into the lines… the waste just stops at the screen. When enough is there and stops the flow, it is very easy for me to just reach in a clean the screen? If it goes through the screens, it goes through the pump.

Some of the older macerators I have had, were not very good at discharging “Charmin” paper, let alone any guts, gills or gill plates? It would work in theory, but you need to remember the “normal” impeller is going to be brass or plastic and is not designed (and probably won’t) handle or process other than very soft tissue and blood clots? Hence the warning signs “If you don’t eat – don’t throw it”. Most rags, fishhooks, plastic, and any other hard material will still either clog and/or damage the impellor?

However, they should make a commercial grade macerator that would work?

Never really thought of screens on my macerators but think I will do it. Jabsco macerators have either 4 or two blade choppers made of stainless(newer have 4 blade)-I have never had one break-only the impellers seem to break off (rubber)- easily replaced for around 20 U.S.- electrical ties and mono will stop them but doesn't break anything other than the fuse. Highly recommend the brand

what about a diaphragm pump. I was at Dave Murphay's the other day and that what he uses. Says it works well.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

On the American forums I have seen this topic discussed fairly often. It seems very common down there to install a macerator for draining their built in fish storage boxes.

I have two large fish holds on my boat and I have them piped to a macerator pump. They are piped using a flow tee no screens or strainers to protect the pump. Both drain fine and the pump works fine,hope this helps

Thanks for the words guys. Charlie Im going with your idea placing screens in the coolers themselves with plugs. Replacing a good pump doesnt make sense. Im also going to change the T section with the shutoff valve with a open T then just pull the plug one at a time and let em drain with the pump. Easy to clean a screen right there.

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

Back