Lurecharge

wishiniwasfishin1

I saw the banner ad popping up on the site and checked out their page. Seems like a cool idea, using a small charge to attract fish. Just wondering if anyone has given their lures a try yet.

The lures seem really reasonably priced, and the patterns look good. Anyone have any experience with Lurecharge prducts? They guarantee they will outfish a similar spoon or hoochie or your money back, and you keep the lure. Bold..

I just an old camera flash unit. Can get them at any place that sells new/used photo equipment. Good thing is that it works for larger things like glow flashers for first light fishing.

I don't think they're talking about light-charging products....they are talking about the gizmo that you attach to your line and it throws off a certain voltage which attracts fish.

Well this is my opinion so take it for what you paid for it. I don't think there is any such thing as an electrical current that attracts fish. I think that notion is a bunch of hogwash! However, I think having the wrong electrical charge can absolutely repel fish or crab. It is very important to have the proper natural voltage on a boat or a crab pot so you do not repel them. Beyond that I think altering voltage to attract is a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I agree... I had wire on the aluminum boat I fish off of on one side and I got really worried that the boat had a 'bad' electrical current that was being given off (Even after a re-fit)... Switched to braid on both sides now so hopefully maybe I'll see a difference.

Had a cannon rigger with the black box in it, just another thing to fiddle around and too much guesswork, It never produced any more at any particular voltage. Forget that!!! I have enough stuff to be OCD about already! :)

Bottom line, if you think it works and it makes you feel better... More power to you, If people rant and rave about these things, then yeah I'll buy some!

1. How is a crab pot impacted by a boats "natural voltage"?
2. With down riggers, I'm doubtful that such a low voltage can have any effect on a lure down 70' or more at the end of a nylon line clipped to wire through rubber.

I don't think they're talking about light-charging products....they are talking about the gizmo that you attach to your line and it throws off a certain voltage which attracts fish.

Seafever is right about what this product is trying to do - create voltage.
Thanks for that link stormtrooper, it looks like Nog likes 'em.

Its actually a pretty interesting topic as how many of us use stainless split or welded rings on our spoons, then crimp on a dissimilar metal hook? The choice of terminal tackle may actually be effecting the performance of the gear without us really knowing it. Eg. Stainless welded ring and nickel hook vs. ss ring and ss hook.

...Stainless welded ring and nickel hook vs. ss ring and ss hook.

I can see how there may be potential voltage differences in the lure itself. I'm not an electrical engineer, but at most this could only be tens of milli-volts or so.

...And whudya know, it's already patented:
http://www.google.com/patents/US20120260560

8. The fishing lure of claim 6 wherein the rings, swivels and hook are formed of a second metal, whereby when the fishing lure is immersed in water electrolysis occurs such that a small electric charge develops that attracts game fish.

1. How is a crab pot impacted by a boats "natural voltage"?
2. With down riggers, I'm doubtful that such a low voltage can have any effect on a lure down 70' or more at the end of a nylon line clipped to wire through rubber.

Not the boat in the case of repelling crab, it is the dissimilar metals used in some crab pots that can produce a repelling voltage and hinder your crab catching. It is a very real phenomenon, ask a commie. And that wire Dr line can put out a repelling charge as well and your baits are only 10-30' back. With multiple downriggers with different blowbacks you could be repelling plenty of fish. It can be solved by proper boat wiring in most cases though.

I've ran blackboxes, wire lines off an aluminum hull...fooled around with adding metals to the d-ball.......also using dissimilar metals on spoons etc.

Bottom line for me:- don't think it makes any difference...unless you have some glaring voltage problem that needs correction.

The idea is that the magical voltage attracts fish from far and wide. But in the next breath they tell you that if your lure is 20ft or more back of a wire line or gizmo.......the effect is null and void.

So how can you attract fish from far and wide when it's ineffective outside of 20 feet....?

I didn't catch any more fish using wire and blackboxes than I did using braid.

If there are two different metals down there....no matter how tiny (like swivels, hooks, lure body, connectors etc etc etc.)..you are putting off voltage of some kind. Whether it's good or bad you'd have to test to find out.

A normal uncoated downrigger ball which uses brass or copper wire (or any other metal) puts off voltage by itself. I use uncoated d'balls and it hasn't stopped me catching fish regardless of what voltage is coming off them.

The Gold Super Betsy flasher is designed,they say,to emit voltage. Personally I think it's the color of the flasher that works....not the voltage (whatever it is) that comes off it.

It's true that when you combine stainless hooks with certain metal-body spoons you get a voltage reaction off the spoon. Don't ask what it is .....I have no idea.

I don't like stainless hooks so I don't run them.......but my spoons still work.

Bigger Chinook are more sensitive to voltage than smaller Chinook.

I have heard reports that the LureCharge actually works......but I have heard reports that a lot of stuff works for catching fish which I won't be rushing out to buy anytime soon because in my case it's "if it ain't broke don't fix it"..........but to each his own though.

This thread is getting hijacked, but back in 2010 I took my new to me boat to Browns Bay and waded into the middle of the sockeye frenzy. People all around me were catching sockeye. Elderly men and women. Little kids. fish were running into the sides of boats and laying there stunned. My friend was out there with his boat, and finished his limit of 12, with a sockeye that jumped into his boat in just over an hour. And me? I couldn't catch a cold. I was fishing same depth, same lures, same leader lengths and same speed as boats all around me. I went home skunked and completely frustrated. I drove straight to River Sportsman and converted both down riggers to braid. Next day, I was hammering sockeye along with everyone else. So I am convinced that charge repels fish.

This thread is getting hijacked, but back in 2010 I took my new to me boat to Browns Bay and waded into the middle of the sockeye frenzy. People all around me were catching sockeye. Elderly men and women. Little kids. fish were running into the sides of boats and laying there stunned. My friend was out there with his boat, and finished his limit of 12, with a sockeye that jumped into his boat in just over an hour. And me? I couldn't catch a cold. I was fishing same depth, same lures, same leader lengths and same speed as boats all around me. I went home skunked and completely frustrated. I drove straight to River Sportsman and converted both down riggers to braid. Next day, I was hammering sockeye along with everyone else. So I am convinced that charge repels fish.

I think the argument and the claim with these voltage emitting spoons or metal bits you attach to your hook is that they emit a voltage that actually attracts fish.

There are voltages that attract and repel and these companies have dialed in the attract combination.

Personally i think it sounds like another thing to catch fishermen but was wondering if anyone had tried these products specifically and what their results were.

Hi all
Just for clarification, my spoons are nickel plated, the split rings and swivels are mostly stainless steel (salt water spring and coho) and the hooks can be nickel plated or stainless. Both are close enough to achieve a ballpark voltage that works, which is .65 to .8 volts depending on metals and salinity (mineral content). When I had a display at the BC Boat and Sportsman Show 3 yrs ago, I used 3 of my Downrigger Electric Field Generators (portable black box) in series to give around 2 volts in the am to run my alarm clock (1.5 volt) and ended with 1.4 volts in the pm. Voltage drop is caused by electron saturation which does not happen in open water.
Test results on springs in Nootka 2 summers ago resulted in 10 out of 13 springs taking a 'tuned' spoon, plug or hoochie against an un-tuned, identical lure when trolled 16' apart. I only used Deep Six divers so as to not have any other influences from wire or cannon balls. I did not use any bait or scent. I switched rods, lures, sides of the boat, challenging my own results as much as possible. Did I catch more fish, or just make them go to one lure??? I can't answer that 100%. I know that not all fish are receptive to voltage. I have worked extensively with the president of the American Carp Society and we are both convinced that they are not attracted. There were encouraging results in Ontario last summer on Lake Trout, Speckled Trout, Pike and Pickerel. My fresh water anodes are 'hotter' than salt water ones because of the conductivity of the water. If I use fresh water anodes in the salt chuck, I can achieve 1.3 volt range. My sockeye anodes are the same as fresh water, but are on brass body swivels which suppresses the voltage down nearer to 1 volt. Here is a link to a chap who did his UBC master's thesis on the attraction of springs and sockeye to various voltages on board a commercial troller. https://circle.ubc.ca/bitstream/handle/2429/21785/UBC_1979_A6_7 N65.pdf?sequence=1 If you want the short version: springs were best with wire voltage of .5 volts, sockeye were best at 1.0 volts and both species were repelled by a negative voltage of any strength. So you ask, why is the Lurecharge voltage higher? I started out doing the .5 volt test for both springs and cutthroat trout. I didn't see a difference until I got to around .7 volts. After I found that, I tried to scare them away with too high of a voltage ...... it didn't happen. Right up to 1.2 volts on springs. My only answer to the difference is possibly amperage. My lures being pretty small possibly have a lesser amperage than trolling wire with a black box. I did make a 30' test trough and found that in salt water the voltage would only drop about 5% in 30'. Fresh water dropped 30% for every 10' of separation. My first positive fishing results were from Wolf Lake (Courtenay) 7 to 1 for a tuned lure. I didn't intend to write a book here. Anybody have questions? I answer everyone. Good fishing. Al www.lurecharge.com

Thanks. I started learning this stuff in 1981 when I was trolling 90 flashers off of the Fraser for sockeye. The wife and I spent more time in the cabin drinking coffee and watching the other trollers steadily hauling in fish. I did a lot of research that winter about bonding systems and fish attraction to voltage. The first thing I learned that stuck in my head was of a university that was doing a study on the Columbia River. They installed 2 large steel pipes in the river, charged on positive and the other negative. The returning fish would only go through the positive charged pipe. After a concerted effort to bond the boat and the purchase of a Russell black box, my boat fished good after that.
I have been invited to the Pirate day sale at Harbor Chandler's store in Nanaimo for the 3rd yr. I will have my products there again this Saturday and can demonstrate voltage producing lures for those who are interested. :eek:)

I've ran blackboxes, wire lines off an aluminum hull...fooled around with adding metals to the d-ball.......also using dissimilar metals on spoons etc.

Bottom line for me:- don't think it makes any difference...unless you have some glaring voltage problem that needs correction.

The idea is that the magical voltage attracts fish from far and wide. But in the next breath they tell you that if your lure is 20ft or more back of a wire line or gizmo.......the effect is null and void.

So how can you attract fish from far and wide when it's ineffective outside of 20 feet....?

I didn't catch any more fish using wire and blackboxes than I did using braid.

If there are two different metals down there....no matter how tiny (like swivels, hooks, lure body, connectors etc etc etc.)..you are putting off voltage of some kind. Whether it's good or bad you'd have to test to find out.

A normal uncoated downrigger ball which uses brass or copper wire (or any other metal) puts off voltage by itself. I use uncoated d'balls and it hasn't stopped me catching fish regardless of what voltage is coming off them.

The Gold Super Betsy flasher is designed,they say,to emit voltage. Personally I think it's the color of the flasher that works....not the voltage (whatever it is) that comes off it.

It's true that when you combine stainless hooks with certain metal-body spoons you get a voltage reaction off the spoon. Don't ask what it is .....I have no idea.

I don't like stainless hooks so I don't run them.......but my spoons still work.

Bigger Chinook are more sensitive to voltage than smaller Chinook.

I have heard reports that the LureCharge actually works......but I have heard reports that a lot of stuff works for catching fish which I won't be rushing out to buy anytime soon because in my case it's "if it ain't broke don't fix it"..........but to each his own though.

Yes Seafeaver, you took the words right out of my mouth. I ran that Scotty Black box for a few years a long time ago. One day the wire broke off the sleeve with the electrical charge that the wire ran thru and i saw no difference in production between that side and the side with the the box still connected to.....some days the uncharged side caught more Chinooks that the charged side.

When i built my Hourston i payed close attention to my wiring using the best tinned wire i could find and isolated the wiring from my electronics and the motors away from the downrigger wires. I still use cable mostly because i still have enough hardware to last me another 5-6 season at least plus i use the cable angle to adjust my speed and i certainly get at least my share out on the fishing grounds. I also use uncoated cannonballs but do run a section of ganion above my ball.

Back