LPG Cooktop Install in a 24 Footer

Sharphooks

I had my eye on a bigger boat. One of the reasons I wanted the boat was it had a new propane cook top installation. I’ve been firing up my coffee and cooking with a white gas stove out on my back deck for the last 15 years and not only does it get old doing that in the rain, it was dangerous—-white gas flare-ups , stove falling over from passing wakes etc.

So when the deal on the new boat fell through due to a paperwork issue, I decided to hang on to my current boat and do my own LPG install.

Thought I’d do a quick pictorial if anyone else out there has been thinking of doing this

First, in order to be ABYC compliant, here’s the hit-list:

A)) LPG tank must be mounted in a location that allows it to drain any spilling LPG gas into the water——if it’s in a storage locker, the locker has to be plumbed with a drain spigot to allow for this
B)) System must have a soelenoid shut-off valve that can be operated in close proximity to the LPG appliance
C)) System must have a pressure gauge so leaks can be detected
D)) There must be a vapor-proof gland installed on the LPG feed line where it enters the interior of the boat

So this is what I did to be ABYC compliant:

Mounted a stainless tube on swim-step so I could attached propane tank and bracket—-bracket has a soelenoid and pressure gauge attached— Bracket and slender LPG tank was expensive but as it is compact with the built-in components , I figured it was worth it ——having the swim-step uncluttered was important as I step on it to service outboards etc. and if I ever fall over-board, I want that swim-step wide open because that’s the only way I’ll ever get back in the boat—-the slender LPG tank sits in a corner of the swim step —-a true fiberglass LPG tank locker like the ones Trident offers would have completely covered the swim step

92A9D542-7F9B-41E7-A8B3-0B5204313331.jpeg

To plumb the LPG line, I decommissioned my starboard macerator pump and used the out-flow for the pump as a way to get the gas line into the boat without drilling a hole in the transom. I ground the lip of the plastic thru-hull fitting flush with the transom then in order to be ABYC compliant, installed a vapor-proof gland over the hole

2404B098-9CC4-406E-A130-3D06FB372449.jpeg

Cook-top: I removed a Kenyon KISS butane stove (completely useless), enlarged the hole, and dropped a two-burner ENO stove into the cut-out. You can also see the soelenoid shut-off switch—-again, in order to be ABYC compliant, that switch has to be within two feet of the cook top and you should not have to reach over an open burner to get at the switch. Yes, I’m going to have to move all those spoons and plugs to another location—-when I fired up the burner the spoons were really unhappy sitting up there and got hot to the touch

9674DAC8-9FAB-4526-8C17-ED80FC072DD5.jpeg

The final part of the install—-I sewed a cover for the tank out of sunbrella material. This was time-consuming but I figured a necessary thing to do—-I wanted to protect the solenoid valve and the wiring on the bracket from salt water and rust, or at least slow it down. It has a zipper installed on the top to get at the shut-off valve of the tank without having to remove the cover

50388968-4102-4251-A3F4-A97FFBB6C2F5.jpeg

The last part of the install will be a LPG sniffer with an alarm. Haven’t decided which one to get yet.

Total costs so far: $ 1,000. Ouch, but it’ll be nice to have for the trips I’m taking which have gone from 10 days to three weeks and longer over the years as I explore farther and farther north

Last edited:
I had my eye on a bigger boat. One of the reasons I wanted the boat was it had a new propane cook top installation. I’ve been firing up my coffee and cooking with a white gas stove out on my back deck for the last 15 years and not only does it get old doing that in the rain, it was dangerous—-white gas flare-ups , stove falling over from passing wakes etc.

So when the deal on the new boat fell through due to a paperwork issue, I decided to hang on to my current boat and do my own LPG install.

Thought I’d do a quick pictorial if anyone else out there has been thinking of doing this

First, in order to be ABYC compliant, here’s the hit-list:

A)) LPG tank must be mounted in a location that allows it to drain any spilling LPG gas into the water——if it’s in a storage locker, the locker has to be plumbed with a drain spigot to allow for this
B)) System must have a soelenoid shut-off valve that can be operated in close proximity to the LPG appliance
C)) System must have a pressure gauge so leaks can be detected
D)) There must be a vapor-proof gland installed on the LPG feed line where it enters the interior of the boat

So this is what I did to be ABYC compliant:

Mounted a stainless tube on swim-step so I could attached propane tank and bracket—-bracket has a soelenoid and pressure gauge attached— Bracket and slender LPG tank was expensive but as it is compact with the built-in components , I figured it was worth it ——having the swim-step uncluttered was important as I step on it to service outboards etc

View attachment 49150

To plumb the LPG line, I decommissioned my starboard macerator pump and used the out-flow for the pump as a way to get the gas line into the boat without drilling a hole in the transom. I ground the lip of the plastic thru-hull fitting flush with the transom then in order to be ABYC compliant, installed a vapor-proof gland over the hole

View attachment 49151

Cook-top: I removed a Kenyon KISS butane stove (completely useless), enlarged the hole, and dropped a two-burner ENO stove into the cut-out. You can also see the soelenoid shut-off switch—-again, in order to be ABYC compliant, that switch has to be within two feet of the cook top and you should not have to reach over an open burner to get at the switch

View attachment 49152

The final part of the install—-I sewed a cover for the tank out of sunbrella material. This was time-consuming but I thought at a necessary thing to do—-I wanted to protect the solenoid valve and the wiring on the bracket from salt water and rust, or at least slow it down

View attachment 49153

Sharphooks: Great job on your installation and write-up, especially with the images you have added. I expect you will very much enjoy your new stove on your next camping/fishing trip. I look forward to hearing the results of your new adventure next year.
...Thanks Rob

Very professional looking setup.I assume the wiring clam shell is well sealed some how because it's so close to the water line?

spray all your steel fittings, valves etc with electrical contact spray. great corrosion protection.

Good eye on the wires going into the clamshell, Rayvon. They share that thru-hull with a transducer cable so there’s a glob of Sikkaflex in there already. I fished the wires through on top of the cable and it’s a real tight fit so water intrusion shouldn’t be much of an issue. What worries me more—-I made those wires quick-disconnect fittings so I could pull the tank and bracket off when not in use. Those quick-disconnect, being so close to each other, could possibly arc —then, with any kind of LPG leak at the fittings....kaboom!

I have to remember to tape the shiat out of them with electrical tape...

Some guys told me I was nuts to have LPG on a boat... my nail-biter on this install—-do I lay the feed hose over my starter battery and run it up the starboard gunnel or do I lay it alongside a 600 liter gas tank on the center of the boat....pick your poison on that one. I went for the fuel tank run thinking a battery has a higher probability of starting a fire....

Noted your comments about electrical contact spray, trophy...thanks for that

Last edited:
I would probably pull the quick disconnects apart ,put single shrink tubing on each one and then put larger shrink tubing over both. Your not likely to ever need to get at them but you'll still be able to by cutting the shrink tubing if need be. You'll be happy with the propane stove because it's so much faster than alcohol but it will fog up your windows without enough ventilation. With your safety shut off you shouldn't have any trouble.

Hi, I’m looking for a small tank and bracket for my bbq. Could you let me know where these are available.
You can PM if you wish.
Regards,

Great looking install Sharphooks. Wondering if you considered a Wallas diesel stove heater. Just for ease of install and less complicated accessories etc. If so what was your thought process between the two? Not trying to be difficult, just interested in your opinions.

Oly

This website will describe all the different options. I know they will ship upon request. Good luck
Thanks for the information, I check it out.
Regards

Hey Oly.....I do have a Wallas heater in the boat already...it kicks out lots of heat. I heard the combo Wallas cook-top/heater was an excellent appliance but I had limited counter space to work with due to placement of sink ....so went with the Eno because of small footprint

Back