Lowrance HDS7 Bottom Lock Issues

Charlie415

Crew Member
Just wondering if any of you guys out there running Lowrance are having the same issues as me. This is my second unit as the first one had unstable tx output sonar pulse period. It would lose bottom. The new unit that they sent me as a replacement was somewhat better until lately. I am now having issues with this unit as well. I am losing bottom at 50kHz as well as 200kHz but running at 200kHz and 20kn I can track bottom up to about 1100ft. I am running an Airmar B60 transducer which was the replacement for the 83kHz-200kHz. Fairly confident that it is not a transducer issue. Talking with another boater this weekend and he has sent back three Elite5's having similar isssues. What are your thoughts. I know I should have bought a Furuno. LOL I have some screenshots to help. It seems that the brown was bottom and the actual bottom is the upper red/yellow area? When it does actually lock again this appears to be the case.

Attachments

• Lowrance HDS7 shot 1.jpg
    Lowrance HDS7 shot 1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 293
  • Lowrance HDS7 shot 2.jpg
    Lowrance HDS7 shot 2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 306
  • Lowrance HDS7 shot 3.jpg
    Lowrance HDS7 shot 3.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 287
Last edited by a moderator:
I have an HDS-8 with a DFSBL transducer (50/200kHz). From the images above, it looks like you either have the gain turned up way to high or have the transducer mounted in a bad location that is subject to turbulent flow (the latter is hard to believe given the speed).

Sensitivity is set at -4%, I have tried auto and manual. When it starts crapping out I have tried switching to 200kHz but it doesn't seem to matter. I could see this happening in deep water with 50kHz but not in shallow water. The transducer is mounted close to the bottom of the hull about 10" up. I put the hole through the hull about 5' up from the transom. It is clear hull in front of the transducer. If there was turbulence you would expect it at 20kn not trolling. Very frustrated.

Sensitivity is set at -4%, I have tried auto and manual. When it starts crapping out I have tried switching to 200kHz but it doesn't seem to matter. I could see this happening in deep water with 50kHz but not in shallow water. The transducer is mounted close to the bottom of the hull about 10" up. I put the hole through the hull about 5' up from the transom. It is clear hull in front of the transducer. If there was turbulence you would expect it at 20kn not trolling. Very frustrated.
I'd like to see a picture of your mount. That sounds like it's too high to me (if the transducer is a skimming transducer). Generally the bottom of the transducer should be about even with the bottom of the hull. Like this image

transom.gif
from the Lowrance site.

I'd like to see a picture of your mount. That sounds like it's too high to me (if the transducer is a skimming transducer). Generally the bottom of the transducer should be about even with the bottom of the hull. Like this image

transom.gif
from the Lowrance site.

It is a through hull transducer. Not a in hull or transome mount. I upgraded to the B60 already. This unit tracks the bottom when running at 20kn in 1000+ feet of water. No issues there. But when trolling and looking for fish it looses its mind.

I had similar problems so I eventually go a higher quality Airmar transducer - they are great!

http://www.airmartechnology.com/airmar2005/ex20/RMProducts/ElectCat.asp?ProdID=48&Man=All&PageNo=91

What were you using for a transducer before? Looks to be the same quality as the B60, just with a transom mount. I don't think the problem is with the transducer. I upgraded from the 83-200 kHz. When the sounder is working correctly it is good. Would like to have confidence in the unit all the time.

It is a through hull transducer. Not a in hull or transome mount. I upgraded to the B60 already. This unit tracks the bottom when running at 20kn in 1000+ feet of water. No issues there. But when trolling and looking for fish it looses its mind.
OK - I guess I didn't understand the previous post that read "The transducer is mounted close to the bottom of the hull about 10" up." 10" forward of the transom? The fact that it works fine at high speed but doesn't work at trolling or low speeds still makes me wonder about transducer placement and what else might be going on at low speed - e.g. maybe some odd hull vibration that is transmitted to the transducer, maybe some strange flow over the transducer at low speed etc.

What were you using for a transducer before? Looks to be the same quality as the B60, just with a transom mount. I don't think the problem is with the transducer. I upgraded from the 83-200 kHz. When the sounder is working correctly it is good. Would like to have confidence in the unit all the time.

I was using the stock transducer that came with my HDS 8. The stock units have had quality control issues in the past, ever since they sent they started producing them in Mexico. I went with Airmar which makes TD's for Lowrance, but their own namebrand (like many companies) is higher quality. If it is not a TD problem than there is most likely a turbulnce problem with you mouting location. Try a different location and see if that improves things. Try to look at the TD when under way and see what the water flow looks like around it. If there is turbulence, then move it.

I was using the stock transducer that came with my HDS 8. The stock units have had quality control issues in the past, ever since they sent they started producing them in Mexico. I went with Airmar which makes TD's for Lowrance, but their own namebrand (like many companies) is higher quality. If it is not a TD problem than there is most likely a turbulnce problem with you mouting location. Try a different location and see if that improves things. Try to look at the TD when under way and see what the water flow looks like around it. If there is turbulence, then move it.
Since it's a through hull transducer, moving it around now would involve filling the current hole. One thing that I know others have found useful (and yes I realize it's a bit late for this now and I realize it depends on your hull type) is to try the transducer shooting through the fiberglass in several locations and at different operating speeds prior to install. If the hull is single bottom fiberglass, transmission/reception through the fiberglass works pretty well if the transducer is either bonded directly to the hull bottom or sitting in a well of liquid on the bottom. Some built little dams and fill them with fluid to test different locations prior to a full install with the through hull.

Mike will set you straight for sure email him those pictures,
what I'm wondering is why nobody has asked about the verticle bars showing up,
this is usually caused by electrical interferrence from the kicker?
may have something to do with it,
also in all those pictures it has not lost bottom, bottom is clearly showing it is just not showing a digital on screen reading which does tend to happen from time to time, I tend to watch the bottom and not the depth reading
mention that to Mike, I'm pretty sure he will tell you to try bottom lock and see if that helps.

I have experienced the same problem with my hds8, first time I ended up replacing the stock transducer and it was fine for a year, now is acting up again same as yours. Usually toggling between 83 and 200 wakes it up....... some days are better than others, may need to try a better quality TD.

Just a thought do you have the right tranducer marked off in the settings as there is quite a few to choose from.

I have experienced the same problem with my hds8, first time I ended up replacing the stock transducer and it was fine for a year, now is acting up again same as yours. Usually toggling between 83 and 200 wakes it up....... some days are better than others, may need to try a better quality TD.

I had the 83-200 and upgraded to the b60. It is far superior to the stock transducer. Best TD but still single element. Wasn't going to spend as much on the TD as I did for the sounder so I opted for the 600w over the 1000w.

Just a thought do you have the right tranducer marked off in the settings as there is quite a few to choose from.

Yes I have the right TD selected in the settings. I have changed my sonar settings to Deep Water to Slow Troll to General Settings it doesn't seem to matter. I have reduced sensitivity until I am losing detail.

Mike will set you straight for sure email him those pictures,
what I'm wondering is why nobody has asked about the verticle bars showing up,
this is usually caused by electrical interferrence from the kicker?
may have something to do with it,
also in all those pictures it has not lost bottom, bottom is clearly showing it is just not showing a digital on screen reading which does tend to happen from time to time, I tend to watch the bottom and not the depth reading
mention that to Mike, I'm pretty sure he will tell you to try bottom lock and see if that helps.

I was wondering about electrical interference. I have a dedicated power supply running from the house battery running 16/3 cabtire up to the dash through the raceway. The TD wire is running a different path by its self with the wires from the fuel flow sensor and the network cables. I get the bars when running the kicker and the main motor. Everything seems to point to the head unit.

Back