Lowrance GPS modules "not responding"

Cuba Libre

From Lowrance-- seems like this is a BIG problem. Dont know why they havnt replaced these pieces of crap!
http://primus.lowrance.com/icr/TroubleShooting/New Utility/NU_GPS_ModNR.htm

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

My dad had a problem with that - He took it into harbour chandler in nanaimo and the guy said it was because the gps receiver was mounted too close to the unit - must be 2' away. Haven't had a chance to try it since we moved it so I can't say that's answer. Might not even be the same problem.

I was out fishing on Lake Cowichan 2 weeks ago and this dreaded error message appeared. What gets me is the fickleness of when it happens. It comes and goes without rhyme or reason even though I have done and checked the following:
- unobstructed view of the sky
- adequate (fused) power supply
- more than 2 feet away from display unit
- clean connections
- power flowing through connectors (tested with multi-meter)
- properly wired to NMEA 2000 specs
- separatly taped the ends of the RS-232 cable
- turned WAAS enabled feature off

So what the $#@% is the problem! Is is a problem with the display unit, or the antenna? Has anyone out there sent theirs back for a replacement and the problem has completely gone away?

Long live wild salmon!!!

I had that module not responding problem with my x15 mt and it was the antenna packed it in.My antenna is only 6-8" away from the unit and it works fine.

HITW
On my x25c it turned out to be the fuse holder that was the problem. Not saying that’s your problem but are you getting power on both pins on your main cable. Can you test and have someone wiggle the fuse holders and see if the power drops out? If you find it’s the fuse holders use the mini spade fuse/holder they are way better that the cheap one from the manufacture. GLG
Agree with all on quality.

I bought a brand new still in the box spare antenna, cable, and terminator at last years ocean pacific boat show for 2$. It was in a box on their clearance table. I was considering selling it, now I think Ill hold on to it!

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

"CubaLibre,did'nt you solve your lowrance problems???"

Thought I did. It worked for about 5 hrs until it quit again. Talked to the tech who worked on it last time, but we both agreed that since I was only about a week from the end of the warantee period, it was a good idea to sent it back to Lowrance in case it was something with the display unit. Its been gone for 10 days-- no idea when I will get it back. But I do know one thing-- any more troubles with it and it goes over the side of the boat and I will never buy a Lowrance again.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Same problem went out in Feb. Gps Module not working ??
Worked fine last time out in Sept. Bought used one on ebay $160.
Have not tried yet. Also my west coast chip was acting up and finally went blank Last year??? Sent in to navionics and they
said chip was eraised ? What a joke !!! Would not reload chip.
Bought new one through them $200. U.S with $75. rebate on old chip.
If it arives. Last time I drill Holes in new boat to mount a Lowrance!!![xx(]

Count me in for Garmin. Great value and (knock wood) reliable. Mind you if one has the bucks, Raymainre or Furuno. Waiting for the markets to get a bit better before I pull the trigger on one of those babies. Looks like it will be a while!

Ya-- talked to the coodinator of Lowrances repair dept in Ontario.

They could not get the unit to malfunction when it was on the bench. Go figure that one out. But he did say that it had a 120 Ohm resistor when it should have had a 60 Ohm one and possibly that is the cause. The resistor has been changed. Also he said that there "could" have been a bad connection in the NMEA2000 power cord. "By cutting those connections and sending your power caable in to us you may have solved the problem"
Still dont have it back-- its been over two weeks now. Getting a bit ticked-off, but at least they updated the software for me too.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

When you first turn on your Lowrance it tells you not to depend on it for Navigation, that's why I went with a Raymarine GPS unit. I like depending on my GPS sometimes ;)

Take only what you need.

STILL waiting for the thing to arrive [V] Its been a week since they told me they shipped it back Priority Post...By mid next week if no-show, I'll start yelling

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

i have a 525cdf bought it new,2 yrs ago and i am on my 3rd unit..i had a problem with the lowrance rep back east with the first unit, phoned head office in the states ond raised some @#!$, i had a new replacement within 2 days,. with the next unit i sent it in and had no more problems with the warrenty..my last unit i have had for a yr now and no problems at all..hopefully i won`t have to replace this one,but if i do i won`t buy lowrance.

Back