Lowrance Ethernet

chris73

I recently bought a new HDS8, 2nd gen non-touch and a HDS7, 2nd gen, touch. I use the HDS8 mostly for GPS mapping and the HDS7 for sonar but I interconnected both head units by ethernet cable so I could display vice versa. Unfortunately I could not get both units to talk to each other. Could someone give me step by step instructions how to configure the settings so I can see on the HDS8 what the HDS7 shows and vice versa? Many thanks!

I take it that it's the Sonar that you want to share between both units?

If so, the Sonar transducer will be connected to one of your two units. On the other unit, bring up the Sonar page, open the Menu and there should be an option for Sonar Source. The default will be to display Sonar that is directly connected to it, but provided the Ethernet Network is working, you should see a second Sonar source for your other charplotter. Select it and you should be good.

First go to settings-network and look for a network sonar check box
Make sure its checked
Do this on both units

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

Yes, it's sonar I want to share and yes I do have both units connected by an ethernet cable. But I would also like to share the gps mapping which will actually be reverse as the sonar as the HDS8 has the navionic card in it but the HDS7 is connected to both transducers.

Lowrance will not allow Charts to be shared. Everything can be shared but charts. You must buy a card for each unit for charts.

/fishon

Lowrance will not allow Charts to be shared. Everything can be shared but charts. You must buy a card for each unit for charts.

/fishon

I don't think that's accurate. According to the lowrance website, you can share charts between multiple gen2 devices over Ethernet with the latest software. Try updating your machines and go from there. On the simrad stuff, charts are shared over the NMEA network I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will need a NMEA 2000 network to be set up for what you want to do. Ethernet connection just allows you to share a sonar signal between 2 units. Contact Harbour Chandler or someone with Lowrance knowledge to help you build your network.

i just paired up my HDS 10 gen 1 with a second 5' Gen 2 sounder only and I only need ethernet for that (plus of course needed to get my units set up to share teh sonar info).

/fishon

Not anymore! On the gen 2/3 units, SD Card charts can be shared -- on the Gen-3 units, charts can also be purchased and directly downloaded to the unit via WiFi -- however, these charts can't be shared. The chart sharing is done via Ethernet network (not NMEA 2000 -- that's too slow). Both units have to be Gen-2 or later and will need version 2.0 of the software or newer (do the latest and greatest).

Since both of my units are 2nd Gen (one is touch and the other non-touch screen) it should work. Do you know how to configure this chart sharing in the settings? Also, thanks to you all I got my HDS8 viewing the sonar data of the HDS7 touch now, however I don't seem to be able to transfer the structure scan picture to the front unit. Is there another sonar setting trick involved? Many thanks.

The Structure Scan transducer should be discovered by the second chartplotter when it's switched on -- same as radar. You should see a message that states that structure scan was discovered. You should be able to see it by simply opening a structure scan page. If not, the setup will be similar to the Sonar -- there should be a menu that allows you to select the source to display and there may be one on the primary unit that tells it to network structure scan.

I have two Gen 2's connected via Ethernet. HDS 7 (has Navionics Card) and a HDS 5m (m = map only). I have the HDS 7 set to display the map and the HDS 5m set to display the sonar, or display whatever. I have no experience with the structure scan.

Back