Low Sodium Smoking

Time

Just wondering if anybody has a recipe for low or non salted smoking recipes. I hesitate to call it a brine recipe because without the salt ...
Wife is on me to delete the salt. I know it just won't taste right, but you never know, maybe somebody has come up with something.
Even the soy sauce that is in my old recipe has been deemed too 'salty'.
Thanks

I saw a guy from the Charlottes brine some fish per usual, then he soaked the pieces in fresh water for a few hours before he air dried it etc. He claimed that gets rid of the salt. The product was not salty at all. [^]
Good luck with the no (low) salt diet.[8D]

Hey Time: I don't believe you can get away from salt in the process. You certainly can minimize it. Not having salt would not provide the chemisty required for good smoked salmon. Try cutting in half the salt content in a recipe. I've certainly cut back on salt in my smoked salmon recipes. But the salt is necessary to the end result. ;) eman

I don't use any salt when I do mine, here's what I do, I have a double doored freezer that I got from a chemical recovery place. I guess they take the old gas out. It already had lots of slots for racks so I built a bunch that where about 4-5 inches apart. Useing Cedar and believe it or not SS downrigger wire for the screen to put them on. I put ss screws and just kept weaving the downrigger wire around it until it had a nice checker pattern to it. I really liked useing the Downrigger wire, as it actually made it really easy to remove the fillets after they where smoked by being able to move the wire a bit it would break free of the skin and the whole fillet, skin included, was off in 1 piece every time. I hot smoke mine so It does the curing by temperature not the salt. Little honey and a little brown sugar. And I smoke for the first 4 hours then crank the heat till its done. Yummy!

Take only what you need.

Thanks guys
I'll keep looking, or (more likely) cheat a bit on the diet.
Can't give up on the smoked stuff quite yet.

Back