Looking for some recommendations for a guide

fishpirate

Hello,

I am planning a relatively last-minute trip with my two kids (12 and 8) to Vancouver Island next week (16th-20th) and would like to get them into some fish. We plan to visit Tofino/Ucluelet, Port McNeill, and potentially Port Hardy, and would like to fish at least 1/2 day at one of those locations.

Any recommendations for a guide?

Thanks,

Hans

I always find it interesting looking through photos on guides websites of a cooler (on a boat) full of fish with no ice. I don’t hire guides, so is that the norm? If you are too cheap to buy a bag of ice are you going to be too cheap to go that extra mile on the water? It would **** me off, that’s for sure.

I always find it interesting looking through photos on guides websites of a cooler (on a boat) full of fish with no ice. I don’t hire guides, so is that the norm? If you are too cheap to buy a bag of ice are you going to be too cheap to go that extra mile on the water? It would **** me off, that’s for sure.
Yes a lot of them are lazy, lying, ignorant skinflints- always looking to chisel a few pennies here & there.

In complete contrast-fishing with Iron Noggin his extensive commercial experience showed- our fish were always buried in salt ice and I remember when taking some the smokehouse the receiver commented on the excellent quality fish.

I guess that’s a good thing for someone to ask a prospective guide, how do you care for your catch. Some don’t even bleed them from what I hear. If they say one thing and do another, bye bye tip...

Id love to fish with Nog, I’d be a sponge with his knowledge.

Westcoast fish ucluelet, ask for Cappy. I can give you his cell if you PM. Been doing ukee a lot of years...Matt and Cappy are 100% are always tubbed one when other boats are scratching for a few fish.
PM me

Any guide worth his salt wouldn't be open this close to those dates. The top guides are booked in prime time many months ahead of time. Hope you can make something happen

I’ve been lucky enough to fish all those places but not out of a boat in tofino. If it was me, I’d try to get a trip out of Ucluelet. Don’t have any suggestions for a guide but I can say Port Renfrews been our go to fishing spot for a few years but last years trip to Ukee converted me. I’ll be going back there whenever I get the chance

Hello,

I am planning a relatively last-minute trip with my two kids (12 and 8) to Vancouver Island next week (16th-20th) and would like to get them into some fish. We plan to visit Tofino/Ucluelet, Port McNeill, and potentially Port Hardy, and would like to fish at least 1/2 day at one of those locations.

Any recommendations for a guide?

Thanks,

Hans
you could try Kenny Myers "Fish Myster" in Uky, Nelson Karger in Port Renfrew - O'Fishal Fishing Charters

As Tofino mentioned above it will be very hard to find any available, even more so any highly recommended or highly marketed operation. A last minute cancellation may be your only possibility. If in PH and Mike Kelly not available, you could always try:

http://www.castlepointcharters.com/about-port-hardy-castle-point-fishing-charter.htm.

Can't "recommend" as don't know anyone who's used his services but he has ctag and was on an episode of Big Coast where he looked to be good guy with many years of experience and good catch success.

Last edited:
You can find a cheap Group On guide for this short notice. They will not take proper care of your catch, nor be really concerned about your expectations. You get what you pay for. Mostly an uncomfortable boat ride.

Back