Looking for fishing advice for the great bear rainforest area

AlexT

I will be taking a ten day kayak tour through the great bear rainforest island chains near Bella Bella next August and I have no experience fishing in the area.

I was wondering if anyone could advise what kind of fish I should try for and what to use.

I will be fishing mostly from shore and occasionally from the kayak.

Thanks for any info you have!

20181112_210343[1].jpg It will be easy to troll a small Apex or Tom Mac spoon (or the equivalent) behind your boat and catch a Coho or Pink Salmon- concentrate wherever there's a lot of water moving around.

For Bottomfish lower a 2 ounce White coloured jig to the bottom in 40'-60' feet of water/or just off a patch of kelp and bounce it off the bottom slowly.

EDIT-you'll do much better out of the kayak shore fishing can be quite difficult because of heavy Kelp growth along the shore-beaches look attractive but don't hold a lot of fish-some Sole & Flounders if you have the patience to find them.

Attachments

• 20181112_210343[1].jpg
    20181112_210343[1].jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 5
View attachment 41377 It will be easy to troll a small Apex or Tom Mac spoon (or the equivalent) behind your boat and catch a Coho or Pink Salmon- concentrate wherever there's a lot of water moving around.

For Bottomfish lower a 2 ounce White coloured jig to the bottom in 40'-60' feet of water/or just off a patch of kelp and bounce it off the bottom slowly.

EDIT-you'll do much better out of the kayak shore fishing can be quite difficult because of heavy Kelp growth along the shore-beaches look attractive but don't hold a lot of fish-some Sole & Flounders if you have the patience to find them.

Sounds good! Thanks for the info. I’ll pick up a couple of those spoons for sure.

Buy some Macdeep jigs and watch along beach for schools of bait as you paddle. Fish the baits balls for springs and coho. Look for bait in the backeddy bays.

These jigs work great on ling cod too. You will find them on the pinnacles or along the kelp beds once you get out into Milbanke and beyond. Don’t fish too close to kelp or you will lose your gear.

Suggestion is to install Navionics app on your phone or tablet for fishing purposes.

Windy up there most afternoons so plan to paddle open area in morning.

Enjoy the area. I love it.

I will be taking a ten day kayak tour through the great bear rainforest island chains near Bella Bella next August and I have no experience fishing in the area.

I was wondering if anyone could advise what kind of fish I should try for and what to use.

I will be fishing mostly from shore and occasionally from the kayak.

Thanks for any info you have!

What time of year are you planning on being up there?

I don't know how far you plan on venturing from Bella Bella, but Seaforth Channel can be quite good for coho in mid August, and if you venture out to the open ocean, Cheney Point, Whirtle Island and Cape Mark all are good producers of coho and chinook. Some good ling and rock cod fishing too

Oh it is called the central coast of BC, not the hippy dippy GB name don't fall for their chit, good luck fishing

Back