Looking for an "acid/spiral wrapped" halibut rod

Beaudog

Read lots about these rods and would really like to try one out, but $500US (ouch)! Hoping maybe someone has one they don't use or don't like they might be interested in selling.

Any feedback from anyone who has used one would be welcome too. Thanks

That's alot of money to spend on a halibut rod that you may only use a few times a year and with all the restrictions that keep evolving.

I acid wrapped a couple of old broom stick halibut rods to see if I liked it and I did. As I posted somewhere else, take a rod you all ready own to a rod builder and have them rotate the guides and tip top. They leave the guide nearest the reel facing up and the next guide is rotated 90 degrees along the side of the rod and all others point down. It is not difficult and should be reasonably priced. All they are contributing is epoxy, thread and labor.

I acid wrapped a couple of old broom stick halibut rods to see if I liked it and I did. As I posted somewhere else, take a rod you all ready own to a rod builder and have them rotate the guides and tip top. They leave the guide nearest the reel facing up and the next guide is rotated 90 degrees along the side of the rod and all others point down. It is not difficult and should be reasonably priced. All they are contributing is epoxy, thread and labor.

Thanks, if I can't find one already done up, I will likely do exactly that. Does anyone have a recommendation for a rod builder in Victoria or surrounding areas?

rotate the guides and tip top. They leave the guide nearest the reel facing up and the next guide is rotated 90 degrees along the side of the rod and all others point down. It is not difficult and should be reasonably priced.
This may be a dumb question, but if you have a two piece rod can’t you just rotate a few guides on the bottom half, then spin the other half of the rod upside down when you put it together?

Back