looking for a new bbq

I have a treager. The mid size one. Does ok. Does use a lot of pellets. Nice smoke taste, easy to use. Wife likes the ease. Always had to have a gas one for her before. Also have an offset smoker. Had the control board go out. treager sent a new one. Updated, with smoker shutdown cycle. Is easy to clean. I lay aluminum foil over the grease catching plate. So what burns on and does not run into the catch can is easy to dispose of. A pain to change type of pellets. Needs a drain door for the hopper. Have to scoops them out now, when I want to change from Hicory to Alder, etc. does not get the grill as hot as a gas grill. So does not sear as much. Was about 50 last night and seemed to only get up to about 350 when cooking some ribs. I have had it to about 400 but warm summer evening. There are several different makers now, so look around if you decide pellet.

Its time to replace our bbq,any suggestions? Has anyone tried traeger wood pellet grills?

I have a traeger pellet grill, a big green egg, and two bradley smokers. My favourite hands down is the big green egg. Although they are expensive, they can do everything from cold smoking to pizza. Incredible taste. The traegar is not good for grilling, but is ok for brisket or anything that needs to be cooked low and slow. Pellets are expensive though. Big green egg operates on Royal Oak charcoal from Canadian Tire. Bradley's are OK but not the same league as the ceramic cookers like the big green egg.

I'll bite. Big green egg = Weber or ? I'm looking for a new Barbie and thinking of getting away from propane.

http://www.biggreenegg.com

I did quite a bit of research before settling on our Weber gas grill. The warranty is great but one thing I read on numerous forums and reviews is to stay away from those where burners and other components, or even the whole grill is made in China. Lots of reviews and comments of burners rusting out in no time and other components. Given our wet climate here on the coast I paid heed to that advice; my Genesis has been great over the past couple of years.

We also have one of the Weber charcoal, round black grills for when there is more time to get the coals going. When it is finally on its last legs I'll be looking at an Egg.

Recommend a Napoleon grill.
Be sure to get one that is made in Canada.
Quality built to last.

Had one for 12 years, great grill.
Replaced it with a Weber a few years back.
Turns out the Weber is now made in China.
Burners needed replacing in 3 years.
Its a POS in comparison.

Buy Canadian!!

Recommend a Napoleon grill.
Be sure to get one that is made in Canada.
Quality built to last.

Had one for 12 years, great grill.
Replaced it with a Weber a few years back.
Its a POS in comparison.

Buy Canadian!!

Interesting about Weber's? Was not aware of that but just found the following.

http://www.businessweek.com/article...ills-mostly-made-in-america-by-private-equity

I guess the one benefit is their warranty coverage is pretty good. I ensured I registered my BBQ with Weber to get coverage.

Have heard good things about Napoleons. Not sure if it is Broilmate or Broil King but I think one is also made in North America.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vermont Castings, Jackson grills or Napoleon for higher end gas BBQ will last years... Your also paying 800+ on those. My stainless Vermont is now 12 years old.... Its still in great shape. All the main components of most grills are made in china with the structure being made in North America...

Made in canada means nothing as you can have a 49% to 51% split..So if 51% is made here you can say made in Canada...

http://www.mcmillan.ca/New-Made-In-Canada-Guidelines-In-Effect-July-1-2010

Keep that in mind when you buy things....

Its a POS in comparison.
Wow that's disappointing!
I've had my Weber for over 7 years with zero problems, knock on wood,
other than replacing the battery in the igniter.
My grill gets used a lot and all year.
I thought Weber still had a good product.

Certainly seems like a lot of the info I had on Weber's was questionable. Thank goodness for good warranty coverage! Gong to be sure I keep a close eye on grates and burners in year 4 should they start to show any signs of crapping out or rusting.

Check out Broil King, I believe they are a Canadian built bbq. I have the Broil Mate from Home Depot which is a hybrid of Broil KIng, some good deals in the spring. I'd still love a Napolean thogh.;) eman

WEBER GENESIS!! I had my first one for 16 years until I melted everything in it. Bought a cheaper one thinking it would do just fine, lasted 3 years until I melted her down. Went with another Genesis last year and wished I had done this instead of going cheap last time. I know they are spendy but I think in the long run it is actually cheaper if you don't have to buy one every few years. And I use mine probably 5-6 nights a week for all spring summer and fall so for the average person it would be the last one you ever buy.

My first Napoleon lasted 15 years. I'm on my second one, it's 3 years and going strong.

There are Canadian built ones and Chinese built ones. Get the Canadian one. Solid as hell.

Napoleon gas stoves along with others have used imported burners and pilots for years. Not too many gas manufacturers use ones made here in gas stove and hearth industry from north america... It is extremely expensive to make them here... Jackson grills might make there own... Like I said before it means nothing if its says made in Canada. That really means nothing.

Maybe that's true, SV, but I will tell you this. Before I bought my first Napoleon I was going through at least one burner per year in the cheaper BBQ's. In 15 years on my first Napoleon, I never replaced the burner even once. It still worked the day I pushed the unit into the scrap pile at Budget Steel. The firebox rotted out of it which was a shame and why I got rid of it. I almost shed a tear when I got rid of it but I went straight to capital iron and bought a new one, exact same model and it is also holding up great. :)

My understanding was the "Chinese built" Napoleons were of inferior quality and they looked it too. Perhaps it's true the "Canadian ones" are made with parts manufactured elsewhere but they are certainly of better quality.

Mak is also nice, but powder coating is sketchy in our climate. I've run a traeger for above four years now. The foods great but it's looking pretty haggard now.

I have a webber genesis grill 2 years old now, regardless if it is built in China it is a quality solid piece of equiptment, go to capital iron or wherever a dealer is close to you and take a good look at it, take the grills out, the flavourizer bars and inspect all the parts, grab the burner and shake it feel how it is built... it is very solid and built with heavy duty quality parts, and every part on it is fully replaceable most of the time locally, if it isn't covered by the warranty. I ve used my grill a ton in the last 2 years, and shamefully admit I have left the cover off by accident for days at a time during rain and in the middle of summer etc...it still looks nearly brand new to this day. There are lots of quality grills out there but don't be turned away just because it is made in China.

Its time to replace our bbq,any suggestions? Has anyone tried traeger wood pellet grills?

I have the Weber S600 with 6 burners, smoker box and rear infrared. had it for nearly 10 years now and use it 2-3 times a week EVERY week. I keep it covered and do a major clean once a year. I have never replaced a part or had a problem. The one and only time I needed to call Weber was when I bought it and found that one of the grills did not match the other 2. Customer service actually included a real person answering the phone and I had the new grill in 2-3 days by courier.

When I need to replace this one, I will be buying another top of the line Weber.

Back