Looking For 257 Caliber Bullets

IronNoggin

Bit of a long shot, but maybe someone has a box or two laying around...

Specifically seeking 257 caliber, 100 grain CIL PSP Bullets.

Fussy Savage seeking more fodder...

Hoping...
Nog

I don't know anything about hunting, but the old guy at this store was very helpful when I needed "bullets" for a starter's pistol.
They seemed to have an extensive hunting department and lots of old stock in their fishing department (American Coyotes, original Lymans etc...) Maybe worth a phone call?
https://www.acsportsltd.ca/contact/

Sorry Nog no 257 bullets, I will ask around. Do have a ton new 6.5mm, accubonds, Hornady ELDs. Can say the new toy really really shoots. Never seen groups like this from an under 6 lb gun with scope, sling, I am now part of the Creed craz.

HM

I did a google search and it looks like reliable guns in Vancouver have them maybe they can ship them to you

If your just looking to try different bullets to see what the gun likes, I have a box with 8 barnes tsx 115 gr bullets in it. They are yours if you want them.

If your just looking to try different bullets to see what the gun likes, I have a box with 8 barnes tsx 115 gr bullets in it. They are yours if you want them.

Thank you! Appreciated!
However at this point we really don't want to put any more time into load development.
That rifle has seen hundreds of options poured through her over the years, and has very well indicated she wants One, and ONE Only load.
Barnes TSX are not really a candidate for this one. They are simply too lengthy in comparison to what it does like - due to the twist rate of the barrel.
That's original, and the rifle is in very very good shape, so no thoughts to re-barreling at this point either.

So, many thanks for the offer, but I must graciously decline.

The Search Continues...
Nog

Now including a search for another discontinued (specific): Hornaday 257 cal 100 gr Interlock

Cheers,
Nog

Sorry Matt, none of them either. You like that discontinued stuff? Accubond will knock them down better.... Never had a gun that would not shoot them well, but if yours has specific tastes that's one dam good reason to buy a new gun????? Or get the creed fever…. I covered my last 4-5 shot groups with dimes, using accubonds 3 powder types and 4 loads. Can't believe it.

HM

That's a pretty old bullet. Sucks when all they like is what you can't get. All I have to move on are 9 Accubond's 110gr which is kind of useless unless you already have a load. Also have 40 117gr Hornady Interlocks. There is an ad up on CGN as well for a few but not what you are looking for. Good luck.

Google gave me hits for the 100 gr interlocks, but US stores and I never called to confirm stock. Sounds like some range time to see what works best from those available.

HM

You like that discontinued stuff? Accubond will knock them down better.... Never had a gun that would not shoot them well, but if yours has specific tastes that's one dam good reason to buy a new gun?????

The RIFLE likes that older discontinued stuff. And that is what counts.
It will not digest accubonds, nor any of the dozens upon dozens of others we tried.

It is my grandfather's rifle.
A '40's production Savage Model 99 in 250-3000.
In pretty much pristine condition.
I took my first deer with it at age 11, damn near 50 years ago now.
And yeah, we have tried a mean amount of bullet / power combinations for it, but it likes one bullet type only.

Get another gun?
You looked in my gun safe lately?
ROFLMAO.gif

The wife likens me going on any particular hunt to a golfer staring at his over-abundant cart trying to decide which tool to use for the current job. There is zero concern there.

But I'd really like to keep ol' Grandpa's Gun going you see.
If that requires an exhaustive search for the last Hen's Teeth out there, so be it...

And that search continues...

Cheers,
Nog

Wow that's wild, I also have an inherited model 99, but in 308 and 60's era. By no means pristine, in fact beat, sentimental guns are the "worst". I also have a vault room full, don't or cant shoot many of them but will NEVER sell any of them. Have an old broomhandle in 30 Mauser that has a ton of "history" again inherited from a war relative. Its a great predicament to have, I understand and feel the same "love". I will keep my ears/eyes on the lookout for your needs.

On a separate note, if you have any SA contacts who have black wildebeest? I would be interested in a PM details....

Thanks

HM

... I will keep my ears/eyes on the lookout for your needs.

Thank You! Appreciated!! :D

On a separate note, if you have any SA contacts who have black wildebeest? I would be interested in a PM details....

I shall make a few inquiries over the next little while.
Let you know if I discover anything positive... ;)

Cheers,
Nog

I too inherited one of the Savage 99. Mine is in the 300 caliber. Dad bought it new in the mid 50's and I too shot my first deer with it. It however is not a very accurate gun with factory loads and is best suited for shorter range shots. Dad had a 4 power Bushnell flip up scope on it so he could use open sights when he wanted to. That scope was simply brutal...every shot went somewhere else.

... It however is not a very accurate gun with factory loads and is best suited for shorter range shots.

If you handload, or have a buddy that does, it is entirely possible that you can develop a very accurate load for this one.
Let me know if you're interested, and I can suggest a few things to start with...

The one we have shoots 12 inch groups at 100 yards with Nosler Ballistic Tips (and pretty well any of that spitzer type of bullet).

With the CIL's I am hunting, and the right primer & powder, it will toss them into sub one inch groups at the same range all day long.

Some of these older rifles are indeed the true definition of FUSSY!! :confused:

Cheers,
Nog

I have a /99 in .284. Its taken me about 2 1/2 yrs to finally find a bullet and load that it likes. Of course the bullets have been discontinued a while back and just when I found the load the rifle developed feeding issues which I still haven't gotten resolved yet. Good thing there are one or two to fall back on;)

Back