Looking at a Hourston 24'

Drewl

Hello everyone. Just joined this great site. I've had a few boats in my days, Campion, Marlin and Lund. I'm now looking at an older Hourston (76) 23'7 (24) I think they call it. It was totally redone 7 years ago with a nearly new Volvo 4.3 V6. It has 500 hours on it now. The model is a Sedan I believe. The wall with door has been removed and is wide open to the stern, with a removeable canvas top. Has sounder, GPS,VHF, ice box, sink, head and V-berth. She looks like a sound boat. I am going to trial it next week and be there for the survey. There is also a duel axel trailer that may come with it or is extra money , not too sure yet. Any ideas what would be a fair price to pay? What do you think its worth? I appreciate any replies, Thanks.

Hourston's are great solid boats that handle all types of water well. As with any older fiberglass boat check the hull, stringers and transom for rot. Having a survey done is a good idea. Good luck.

Long live wild salmon!!!

It may be underpowered...a 350 chev is the more common choice for an I/O. Include a test run and see how it gets up out of the hole. Also check that you get a decent cruising speed without revving the crap out of it. Make sure the rebuild included new stringers, tank, floor and that the transom is solid.

I agree with profisher. A 4.3litre is underpowered for that boat. That 4.3 will be 190 to approx. 205 hp depending if it is a 2 barrel or 4 barrel carb. Yeah it will move the boat but I think it's going to be working way too hard to push a 24' boat. The 350 c.i.d. chev. with a 4 barrel carb will give you 260 hp. and work considerably less hard. That 24 footer will be a fairly heavy boat, you want more power. As for fuel consumption, don't worry about it. Having enough power is way more important than fuel consumption. And when it comes right down to it the 4.3 will work harder to do the same as the 5.7, so in the end I would guess the 5.7 doesn't burn that much more.

What type of outdrive? If it is a OMC, run away! Volvo Penta will be okay. Mercruiser are fine as well. If it is an Alpha leg (Merc) just make sure it can handle the weight of the boat.

I will find out the goods early next week. I don't need to go fast but up on plane is a must. That engine size was not what they came with I take it. I will post the results of the test run and decide from there. Thanks for all the insight and keep em coming.

23 is a good boat, I ran one myself. You can check the stringers easily enough, make sure the transom is good around the trim tabs. The 4.3 at 225HP may be OK, put it in the water and see how it goes. My 23 was an awesome boat, I figure what you are looking at is worth around 12-15 grand depending on condition.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

They are asking a bit more than 15. I guess it all depends what the outcome of the survey is. Where exactly do you look at the stringers in this boat? I pulled a few of the floor covers tonite and couldnt see any thing. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot, but dont they run the length of the hull at floor height?

The run the length of the boat at floor height, they usually make up the walls on either side of the cabin sole. Bang on them with a hammer, if they are good and solid sounding, you are fine. I didn't have a problem with the stringers in either of my rigs, the transom on the other hand was a little soft in one. There are outboard stringers as well, you can sound your way up them, but if the inboard ones are fine, chances are the outboard ones are as well.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

What a boat! I said in my other post it was a 76 but shes a 79. Yes,I bought it and probably paid too much for it but I have the boat I want. I can't believe the ride. Solid in every way. Tons of room. I really like the way it handles the rough chop. Canada Day was a good test, windy, and rough and she took it real good. It may be slightly under powered but not too bad. 20 kts. at 3 grand on the tack seems alright. She wasnt rigged for fishing, so I have some setting up to do yet on it but we'll be fishing soon.

What a boat! I said in my other post it was a 76 but shes a 79. Yes,I bought it and probably paid too much for it but I have the boat I want. I can't believe the ride. Solid in every way. Tons of room. I really like the way it handles the rough chop. Canada Day was a good test, windy, and rough and she took it real good. It may be slightly under powered but not too bad. 20 kts. at 3 grand on the tack seems alright. She wasnt rigged for fishing, so I have some setting up to do yet on it but we'll be fishing soon.

I would NEVER NEVER</u>!!! buy an I/O. IMHO

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

I would NEVER NEVER</u>!!! buy an I/O. IMHO

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Back