Looking at a boat

algae

Hi All..I am looking at a 17 foot 1997 Bayliner Capri cutty cabin, with a force 120 Merc. The guy says he has only used it about 6 times in the last 8 years only on the lake It comes with a no rust galvanised bunk type Easy Loader trailer. It has been kept under cover its entire life and is in immaculate condition. The problem is it is in Peachland. He is asking $6000, do you think this is a fair price. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..Algae

I had a "Force" once.... KA BOOM!!! it was the one with the Chrysler head... The Merc heads were better...

I had the very same in an 18.5, lots of problems with air voids beneath the gelcoat,
and lots of horror stories with those Force engines, I never had any probs with mine but I sold it with 30hours
lost faith in the hull Especially after Bayliner would not stand behind it

There are a million boats for sale.... You may aswell tell yourself it needs a new motor and factor that into the price... Those motors were a liability... You want to beable to enjoy yourself out there and not worry about the "KA BOOOOOOOOOOOOM" factor...

Thanks everybody..As usual lots of good info from people on this site. I guess I will Force myself to pass on this one..No Kaboooooooom for me...Algae

Yep your making the right choice, that boat is best suited for lake, and I wouldn't care how many hours were on a bad motor that is 14 years old.

Yep, probably a very good choice!

One needs o be very careful buying a Bayliner Capri that old, even for lake use! Not only has Force been known to have problems, so has the hull (separations and voids), along with the plywood has been found to "rot" throughout! If you check I believe you will also find the gas tanks very hard to change out, as the were molded in? They were Bayliners cheapest entry level boat and really not designed to last!

It just might be worth NOTHING!

Back