Logging Crew Mobilizes Near ‘Irreplaceable’ Wetland

Wow I never would have thought there were that many learned left wing wacko communists in all of Canada. (sarcasm)

That's quite the long list there CLG. Thanks for the post.
Hell I thought there was a supposed to be a Doctor shortage in Canada! Lol

Hi triplenickel.

The communist reference was more for a lark, as a post from another member labeled a person who was against the site C dam a communist. I just thought it was rather funny that things had stooped to that level, and thought we'd moved past the McCarthy era.

A lot of what you say is 100% correct. I have enjoyed the benefits of relatively cheap gas throughout my lifetime, and I have owned large gas guzzling boats in the past. That is no longer the case and hasn't been for a long time. I have not owned a boat in excess of 20 feet for many years. I use very little fuel on my average outing as I have owned a light aluminum boat for the last 20 years and generally travel small distances to fish. My fuel consumption is very light in comparison to my younger years. I also now use my vehicle very sparingly and do not travel very much. As you say, I was guilty off excess gas consumption when I was younger but that is no longer the case. I use fuel very sparingly these days.

You asked me to list the extractive industries I support.

I support commercial Salmon fishing if it can be done in a selective manner. I support the trollers, but not purse seigning or gill netting. I would support in river commercial selective harvest methods that did not involve gill netting.

I do not support any form of mining that discharges its mining effluent into our fish bearing rivers. Mining that does not discharge contaminated water into our rivers I have no issue with.

I support our logging industry, if it is done in an ecologically sound manner. Adequate replanting must be done, and care must be taken logging near watersheds. I do not support the export of raw logs.

I do not support construction of dams on any river that has migratory fish species in the river.

I do support petroleum extraction for domestic use. I do not support oil tanker traffic through our waters simply to supply China. I do not believe fracking has been studied sufficiently, and it's widespread use is concerning without further study.

I believe we have many options at home for power generation. Wind generation is used everywhere else in the world but here it seems, because our mentality has always been we'll just build another dam so why explore alternate methods. Solar power is a limited option but definitely is not as viable in BC as other sunnier climates. Personally even though it would be extremely negatively viewed I'd actually support building of nuclear reactors over hydro dams. We have an abundance of uranium in Canada, and I'd rather see nuclear power generation over coal fired, or other fossil fuel power generated electricity.

Regarding overpopulation. Again you are correct, on a planetary scale overpopulation is is huge issue. In Canada not so much, we are one of the least densly populated countries in the world. Unfortunately, the rest of the world affects us in Canada even if our population levels and birth rates are low.

I do not expect my posts will change anything in the world. However, attitudes are changing, and every bit helps. That is the purpose of my posts.

As you picked up on, I have also curtailed my Salmon take drastically in the last 15-20 years. I also try to espouse the catch and release philosophy on the forum in the hope it will become more widespread in the ocean. I do keep some Salmon to eat but I try keep the less desirable sports species such as Chum, pinks, and smaller coho. I will keep Sockeye if it is an extremely plentiful year. I do not trophy fish and release most Chinook, and all large Springs. I release all fish I catch in fresh water. I take a limited catch of bottom fish for the freezer. I just personally believe that if everyone limited their catch somewhat overall stocks would be in far better shape.

I have no delusions. My posts accomplish little, but even a small change in attitudes can make a big difference over time. That is why the guys that are concerned for our planets future spend the time and energy they do on this forum trying in some insignificant way to change people's attitudes. Hopefully eventually things will change in the world.

Thank you triplenickel for your well thought out and respectful response .

I do support petroleum extraction for domestic use.

I had to give your post a like and go back on saying you could have the last word because I was so surprised by your answer, I didn't expect it. I had no idea you supported most everything, especially the current version of the energy sector. I'm still surprised at your support based on past posts.

I had to give your post a like and go back on saying you could have the last word because I was so surprised by your answer, I didn't expect it. I had no idea you supported most everything, especially the current version of the energy sector. I'm still surprised at your support based on past posts.
We do need have domestic oil and gas supplies. I just do not think we should be risking BC's precious coastline to service overseas interests and make big oil companies higher profits. The need to ship our oil via pipelines would also be greatly reduced if we had our own refineries for our domestic market. You would think that would be the cornerstone of Canada's national energy policy.

As far as mining is concerned. I've stated before the industry should have to contribute to a clean up fund for bankrupt or long closed mines, so the taxpayer isn't on the hook for the remediation of mines leaching hazardous chemicals into our rivers. It seems absurd the provincial government forced the travel industry to do that years ago so bankrupt companies wouldn't leave travelers stranded, yet the mining industry has no such safeguards. We do need to have resources to supply manufacturing, but it needs to be done without endangering our rivers and lakes. The industry needs be to held accountable for cleaning up its own messes, not the taxpayers.

Last edited:
mercury contamination - if/when it happens - will affect everyone, walleyes - irrespective of skin colour or political affiliation...
http://www.iflscience.com/environment/how-big-dams-are-poisoning-arctic-methylmercury/
Mercury in fish, seafood may be linked to higher risk of ALS, study suggests
Previous studies have suggested mercury is a risk factor for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
CBC News Posted: Feb 20, 2017 4:00 PM ET
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/mercury-fish-seafood-als-study-1.3991094

United Nations Says Canada’s Largest Park Under Threat, Calls for Site C Review
Downstream impacts of BC’s mega-dam should be assessed: UNESCO report.
xAndrew-Nikiforuk-Bio_square_thumb.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EOz_9g2HVS.jpg
By Andrew Nikiforuk Yesterday | TheTyee.ca
https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/03/13/UN-Calls-for-Site-C-Review/

So I went through that report and also read the comments from industry that took it to task. What I found to be the most important part was the reason that this dam is need was to supply power to industry. What industry does not mention is that the will buy their power at around 4 cent a kilowatt hour and BC Hydro will make the power at between 8 and 9 cents a kilowatt hour and that's if the dam comes in on budget. ( not likely because there are 2 dam projects that sofar are at least 25% over budget) No wonder industry is pushing so hard to get this dam built. In fact they have invested some serious money into this election to get it done.

The question is.... who is going to make up the shortfall in the price? The answer is Commercial and Residential ratepayers.

Canadian firm completes sprawling 150-turbine wind farm off Netherlands coast
One of the largest offshore wind parks in the world, the Gemini project in the North Sea will generate power for about 1.5 million people

April 28, 2017
by Cleantech Canada Staff
TORONTO—Canadian renewable energy developer Northland Power Inc. has officially wrapped up construction on a 600 megawatt offshore wind farm about 85 kilometres off the Netherlands coast.

The Toronto-based company started work on the 2.8 billion euro project in 2015 and had completed the majority of the project by last fall. All of the site’s 150 Siemens turbines were churning out power by October as crews put the finishing touches on the offshore site.

With the official end of construction April 28, Northland reports crews finished the sprawling wind energy park both ahead-of-schedule and under-budget.

Gemini covers approximately 68 square kilometres in the North Sea and is designed to provide power for about 1.5 million in the Netherlands, making it one of the largest offshore wind farms in the world. Northland owns a 60 per cent stake in the project, while Siemens Financial Service hold a one-fifth interest. The remaining 20 per cent is split between maritime construction firm Van Oord and renewable and waste processing company N.V. HVC.

Canadian trade financier Export Development Canada (EDC) played a key role in getting the project off the ground, providing Northland with 92.4 million euro in financing that went toward development and construction.

http://www.canadianmanufacturing.co...rbine-wind-farm-off-netherlands-coast-191730/

Back