Local Fishing Magazines Advertise New Halibut Leasing Program!

Whole in the Water

I was very disapointed to see both the recent Island Angler and Island Fisherman having ads for the new website for purchasing additional halibut quota for sportfishers! :confused:

Are they required to by law (doubt it), or were they doing it for money?

I don't see the good they are doing by advertising this very flawed "experimental" leasing program that jeopardizes our common property rights for the benefit of a few wealthy 'slipper skippers'. I say let the DFO be the only ones that advertise their own stupid, shi!tty program!:mad: That's my two bits.

Ads cost money to be paid to the magazines. Too bad the mags can't be on board with a boycott of this program. The harsh reality is if those are DFO's ads, we paid for them as taxpayers.

My sub. runs out in July, I will be letting them know why I'm not renewing!
Most of you guy's can pick it up free out there eh?

Actually the Publisher has been a very big supporter of the Halibut cause & worked in the back ground a fair amount......just my two bits

Not saying what the magazines in question have done is right, (It's potential suicide readership wise in my opinion), but from past experience I know the magazine advertising game is a tough row to how. I've seen ads for all kinds of crazy things, and for the most part, unless it's illegal, you politely take the money, especially if they come to you and you didn't have to chase after it. You can't afford to judge your advertisers, if you can, congratulations, your publication is probably one in a handful in the entire world.

As for your comment Holmes, it would appear that the money may indeed have been a motivator to chose it over the opinions and position of the readers, but it could be a very short term gain as those same magazines need readers in order to sell that advertising. If readership suddenly drops it means the advertisers aren't getting the exposure they are paying for and then they stop advertising as well. It becomes a rapid downward spiral that can kill a publication, which is too bad because as a newbie to the island and salt fishing, I look forward to all of the great fishing info from around the island and up the coast.

Both good guys. Good informative magazines. I'm hoping the ads placed simply slipped through scrutiny of the publishers, and its not a case of accepting ads at any cost. I agree, it could hurt their readership. What is more disturbing is DFO is trying to make us eat this program no matter how bad it tastes....and using our tax $$ to flog a dead horse.

Write the new DFO Minister and demand to know if they are spending your tax-dollars on promoting this scam!

I was surprised to see that ad in the Island Angler, but they did have an article explaining the experimental license. Maybe the article wasn't as irate as many would like, I guess they are just providing the information. Taking a look at who 80% of their advertisers and report submitters are they may want to plan another strategy.

I wonder if the Government of Canada logo seen in most of these smaller publications that aknowledges government funding has anything to do with it? Check it out: the feds fund most magazines in Canada; just look on the 2nd or 3rd page in on or near the contents page where all the copyright, contact info, advertising policy and so-on is.

Maybe the feds say "...Let us put this ad in and get more funding next year..."? Total conspiracy theory?

Both mags contain mostly advertisements if there not touting someones product they're advertising some lodge not to mention fishing reports by said advertisers. Sure there is the odd story on how to catch winter springs (like it's rocket science) good thing they're free after you take a quick flip thru them you can line the bottom of the bird/hamster gage.

any one able to post the editorial from the magazine. out of the country for a bit.

i do support larry in his view of free speech.. I spoke with him just before i left and i don't believe it was gov money paying for the ad.

any one able to post the editorial from the magazine. out of the country for a bit.

i do support larry in his view of free speech.. I spoke with him just before i left and i don't believe it was gov money paying for the ad.

Maybe you took the ad out! I'd say it's a sell out either way if Larry chooses to bite the hand that's feeds him so be it! In the end it'll all come out in the wash and the sports sector will think twice about rerunning their ads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on guys don't be so sensitive. Are there any mags that don't run some paid for material, offending some segment of society? An ad doesn't make you go out and buy. Unless it is cheap tools and oil at Can Tire. lol

Come on guys don't be so sensitive. Are there any mags that don't run some paid for material, offending some segment of society? An ad doesn't make you go out and buy. Unless it is cheap tools and oil at Can Tire. lol

Rollie what planet are you living on :confused: After all the work our sector put into fighting 88/12 it isn't any old ad offering cheap charters to your favorite fishing area rather it's one touting the lease of our Halibut quota.

province newspaper had an add this morning,, read "buy your halibut quota now" i really hope no one buys into this... or i bet jimmy buys up a whole whack to make it look like they have numbers in support.

Its just an ad in a magazine read almost exclusively by sport fishermen. So who ever put the ad in there wasted their money. We know the deal and it won't sell. I would be more concerned with an ad in the Province or TC which is read by the uninformed.

We know the deal and it won't sell.

we know the deal cause we are informed but the 90% of the rest of the anglers out there don't know the issue and don't know why its bad to buy quota if they want to fish. Most guys fishing the coast don't know jack about the political and conservation end of things, sadly.

If we run out of halibut and the season closes, then I will stop fishing. I will not be purchasing quota. Then I will not be purchasing gas, parking, booze, groceries, fishing articles, licenses, and whatever else is part of the costs of fishing. The scam the DFO is playing with us will have affected many others who rely on the money spent in the pursuit of halibut.

Back