Living in Vancouver Island

dmurph

Your right about fishing at 200+ on the riggers, not anything like the 55, 65 in Vic, fish seam to fight way more in Vic. Lots of p-cod in Georgia Straight.

HM

Not this summer. It was a dead zone for P-Cod around Kitty, apparently had been fished heavily by commies.

For the O.P, any of these areas would be good. Depending on what amenities you need vs can do without will help you decide. For me, I wouldn't want to go north of CR, just personal preference. Nothing against areas north, I go to Costco too frequently and need one close! Lol

Yeah, you don't want to permanently reside north of CR. The climate is different past CR and the dark seasons are depressing there. Believe me!

Would love to know how much time Wildmanyeah has actually spent on any urban coho streams on VI!
Great work by the volunteers on the colquitz and Craig flower!!!

Been looking at the Comox area more closely. Might make sense to be in that area with Mt Washington being close by. What is the boat launch like in this area are there a few? How’s the marina situation, long wait lists? How’s the fishing, all wide open straight tact’s any area to fish in sheltered spots and do people run across to fish the other side like grants reef?

boat ramps are a issue in the valley we only have one and it is in comox and most people fish of of kitty coleman

Th

Thanks for that, is the one set up pretty nice

Actually-- there is a ramp at Union Bay that works very well for those trailering boats to about 24 ft. Its a hard shell/gravel ramp that I have no trouble launching my 20fter on a 5ft tide. Not fancy, but is seldom congested and its cheap $5. There is also a community shallow pitch ramp at Point Holmes in the outer harbour. But in a southeast wind it will kick the chit out of your boat. There are also launch ramps at Kitty Coleman Provincial park , Pacific PlayGrounds resort and Shelter Point RV Park north of Comox. Kitty can be challenging if the wind comes up, and the other 2 have low tide issues. But-- what size is your boat? Glass or tin? Do you need moorage or ?? As far as the mooring in Comox, I am not sure but I believe there is a waiting list for both the municipal marine and the private one.

Th

Thanks for that, is the one set up pretty nice
yes comox is a good ramp all weather all tide facility there are other options but they are just paved beaches it is pretty sad that are local governments can not put all weather all tide boat ramp on the east side of the peninsula after all we only have a population of 70000 people they don't have a problem spending millions of are tax dollers buying up property to make parks that a select few use. I am shure a boat launch will be well used on that side .last year I was in to fair harbour population maybe 5 they had a launch that made comox look sick

yes comox is a good ramp all weather all tide facility there are other options but they are just paved beaches it is pretty sad that are local governments can not put all weather all tide boat ramp on the east side of the peninsula after all we only have a population of 70000 people they don't have a problem spending millions of are tax dollers buying up property to make parks that a select few use. I am shure a boat launch will be well used on that side .last year I was in to fair harbour population maybe 5 they had a launch that made comox look sick

Cant disagree with that Wolf1 .. The Comox council has no idea what we boaters spend in our area.. and they dont care . Compared to Campbell River we are getting screwed by both Courtenay and Comox Councils.

comox courtney area was #1 on our list of places to move to on the island, but do to the moorage and launch situation that has changed my thinking on it being #1, however it is still high on the list and just may be where we end up

Give Black creek a look. Lots of land, right in between CR and Courtenay. A couple launches in town and ur 30min from both places. Easy enough to head north to Hardy, west to Nootka, or south to Nanaimo. Still gonna be fishing down deep if ur fishing locally, but there’s a great mix of fishing up north of CR as well.

Give Black creek a look. Lots of land, right in between CR and Courtenay. A couple launches in town and ur 30min from both places. Easy enough to head north to Hardy, west to Nootka, or south to Nanaimo. Still gonna be fishing down deep if ur fishing locally, but there’s a great mix of fishing up north of CR as well.
Yes have been looking in that area, not many on the market there though

Yeah, Deep Bay is nice area in the summer but a little isolating in the winter. Not sure about the school district there? I grew up between two houses one in Royston and the other 10 mins north of Courtenay. It's nice to be less then 15 minutes from Courtenay and a long bike ride. Grew up riding to school, jobs, swimming, fishing spots, not a bad life.

My mom is about to list her place for sale on 296 Gartley Point Road, Courtenay a 2 minute walk from the beach, where you can catch herring or Kayak over to tree island on a nice day. Large enough lot to park a boat, fruit trees and garden producing lots of food, an AirBnB Cottage ready to rent out and a nice older house with lots of updates over the years. If her current tenants don't buy it I can send you the details if you are ready to buy this spring.

I'd rent an AirBnB for a weeks in the summer in a couple areas you like and then try living and the fishing.

PS Kitty Coleman boat launch is for fair weather days and only certain tides might work better then others, I learned that the hard way :)

Back