Living in Vancouver Island

I agree with SV.....if you don't have to work in Vic definitely go north of the hat....as a matter of fact the farther north the better.....hardy or McNeil would be my choice if I didn't have to work.

But you will just see more and more development between mill bay and Duncan. I had acreage on the hat for 10 years and once the commute got so stupid I had to tap out....the traffic More than tripled during that period, and that is because people can't afford homes in Vic.....that trend will continue with higher density in mill bay for sure, look at sentinel ridge.

He asked within Comox to Nanaimo sorry I didn't read 1st post. Don't live in Port you will move. I spent a lot of time in that city under contract. The winters are a little depressing. Employment isn't the best, and the road in can really stuck in winter. Again you often find people in Port stay there. Many people that work there commute in. Spring/summer are good but after that the town gets dead. Just my opinion.

I'm going to suggest you don't comment on things you know nothing about.....thanks to our local stream keepers the Craig flower and colquitz are doing amazing. Keep up the outstanding work ladies and gentlemen.

I am apart of KEEPS and ARMS, if you don't think that development is going to impact you then your just ignorant. Guess you don't spend weekends pulling invasive out of your streams lucky, No run off from construction sites over their? have about subdivisions sending all the water into the creeks? or DFO approve creeks that are dry in the summer to be developed over? No pump stations on any of the creeks?

I Guess I just don't no how awesome it is over there, even more reason to move their. I was born on the island, Lived in Campbell River and Alert Bay.

Just looked on MLS, Could sell my townhouse here and buy few acres, 2 thousand square foot house that over looks the ocean in Nanaimo

Just got to wait for my coworker in Cassidy to Retire lol[/QUOTE]

DFO doesn't approve industrial projects near creeks. What you speak of I haven't really heard only one time, and that was dealt with quickly. That is process through MOE and with Environment Canada working together. Projects also have to go with qualified QEP to assess the impact, and that also is overseen by the Ministry of Environment (MOE). It isn't as simple as what you are saying. CRD on south island is really onboard with salmon enhancement. I just wished up island had that support its just incredible.

I am not really sure why we are derailing the post here.

• Road-building in the watershed during the 1970s created many impassable barriers to fish migration and effectively wiped out the salmon run from this stream. After these channel obstructions were removed during the 1980s, the Esquimalt Anglers’ Association, supported by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, began restocking the creek with juvenile coho and chum salmon transplanted from Goldstream Creek. Today, the run is self-sustaining, and the Anglers maintain a fish counting fence in the stream.
Direct quote from crd's website....I also have lived in many areas on the coast including cr and these two streams are the most urbanized streams on the island.....and they thrive.....I live right beside Craigflower wildman, I help with counting, I see with my own two eyes how they are doing after being wiped out.

Apoligize for the derail

Agree Vic is going crazy, some assessments up 15% or $100K. I worry about the future of local tidal fishing, my opinion JDF cannot handle the current pressure, (golf carts to bring you back from parking now) what will it look like in 10 years with so many more fishermen? Close hunting ended some time ago, new agreement with local forest companies is an awesome idea but still tons of users on the few roads/trails and only 1 idiot will end it again. I picked up over 300 beer cans this year from our local roads, where is the respect? Any body have 2 acres+ north CR area for sale? PM me.

HM

Still seems like some good value up Campbell river way

CR is still dirt cheap.....my dad still lives there. I think if Myra falls gets rolling, and it looks like it will, prices will see some increase although I don't know how much. Lots of good opportunities nearby for outdoor stuff. Very good fresh and salt fishing, ok skiing, decent sledding. Your boy will have access to pretty much everything an urban centre has for activities....swimming, hockey, judo....whatever he gets into.

Ripple effect for real estate values. Big jump in Alberni. Weaver says he wants a freeze on foreign buying. A bit late. The Island is just a version of the mainland ... just a few years behind. "Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye" (Eagles). All a function of catastrophic population boom and it's effect on all resources everywhere (land, fish, forests, decency). Comox valley traffic jams, suvs, malls... smarmy consumer status anxiety; original housing (modest, cozy etc) torn down for over-abundance of high density retirement warehouses. Last chance for "the Island" ... head to McNeil.

Last edited:
29% increase in my assessed value this year....Ouch!

https://www.cheknews.ca/property-assessments-on-the-rise-across-much-of-vancouver-island-403497/

"Port Alberni’s increase of 22 per cent for property assessments seen as “good news story” for a community on the rebound."

""This year’s BC assessment numbers aren’t surprising to me at all," he said. "In 2017 I believe almost 20% of our market came from Vancouver and the greater Vancouver area so that’s a significant market influence in the Comox Valley.""

Now matter how you slice it housing on the island is far cheaper then the Lower mainland were most of us have seen our propensity assessments go up by 30% a year for the last 3 years.

"The most expensive single-family homes are in Parksville ($548,378) followed by Nanaimo ($518,449) and the Comox Valley ($491,428)."

https://www.mapleridgenews.com/busi...ot-despite-soaring-prices-for-detached-homes/

"FVREB stats show the benchmark price for detached homes in Langley topping the million-dollar mark, at $1,002,200 (benchmark represents a typical property within each market).

Also part of the single family homes’ million-dollar club are South Surrey/White Rock ($1,472,300), Surrey ($1,014,600), and Cloverdale ($1,004,900).

North Surrey ($950,900), North Delta ($921,800) are on the cusp of a million dollars with Abbotsford ($792,300) and Mission ($640,000) rounding out the communities under the FVREB umbrella, according to December statistics from the board."

Talk about derail......what is your point wild?

That the island is a great and cheap place to move to if you can.

Great place to cash out of the lower mainland To retire too.

Also that the cities on the island are Getting by prepared to have higher populations and therefor spending money on things like hospitals.

More people move there the cheaper services like the ferries will get.

I think most people would take up the chance to move their if there’s work.

That the island is a great and cheap place to move to if you can.

Great place to cash out of the lower mainland To retire too.

Also that the cities on the island are Getting by prepared to have higher populations and therefor spending money on things like hospitals.

More people move there the cheaper services like the ferries will get.

I think most people would take up the chance to move their if there’s work.

Where would the "wild" in wildman then go ?

My vote is for Courtenay, my old home town. Good fishing Hornby, the Hump and a quick drive to Campbell River. Lots of good spots Royston, Cumberland all close by.

Port Alberni is good value but prepare for a little bit more extreme weather and driving lots.

What every you do, take your time. Buy a realistic dream house that you can retire in.

For lots of people in retirement things change as you age. You may find that you avoid driving long distances especially at night and on poorly lighted roads in bad weather and travel times become more important. Being close to major medical facilities and if you like to travel, a major international airport can become more important. You want to plan for more than just the first 10 years but for the following 20. Little things like the availability of grocery delivery also become more important if you want to maintain your independence down the road and that kind of thing is not always available in the more isolated areas.

Ha we were looking at a commercial property right across from clutsi boat launch...

You will have many Friends! ;)

Port ain't as bad as some will tell you.
The Lady & I wandered down here from the Arctic and settled in for what was "supposed to be" a year or three.
Jump forward 20 plus now.
We ain't going anywhere.

Pretty well every commodity including local hospital, etc etc etc you will need is here.
Jobs is the thing in short supply.
You have that base covered, you will be fine.

Weather is hot in the summer, and cool (rarely cold) this time of year.
You likely know a fair bit about this place, or you wouldn't be looking methinks.
That said, feel free to shoot me a pm should you have any related questions.

Oh, some houses only went up 22% in assessment. Ours was over 30, and we are of course appealing.
The market here is still the most economic on The Rock I am aware of.
Would not count on that lasting forever though...

You do move here, drop a dime.
I will be among the first to welcome a new neighbor... :D

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks for all the thoughtful post, have read each one with careful consideration. Still haven’t got any area nailed down. Mostly been looking at Alberni, Nanaimo, Comox Courtenay and Campbell river. Haven’t found the right property in Nanaimo or Comox area as the numbers are to high for what we would like and not sure if I want to be up in Campbell river. Beaver creek out of Alberni seems to have the properties that we could afford, what’s this area like. Also who’s fishing out of Campbell river, just not sure how good it is there, not thrilled about fish 250 feet on the riggers lol, like the value there, closer to Mt Washington and be able to shoot into Nootka.

dmurph

Your right about fishing at 200+ on the riggers, not anything like the 55, 65 in Vic, fish seam to fight way more in Vic. Lots of p-cod in Georgia Straight.

HM

They do taste great, breaded in panko and fried, just get ones without the worms. I still say overall more opportunities to enjoy the outdoors mid to north island. People are also different, last time in CR mc'D's wild TV was on the screen. Cant fathom that in Vic.

HM

Back