Live imported Snakehead fish at Price Smart Foods in Richmond BC

I spoke to a DFO, who, did not seem all that up to date with these fish. I gave him the link the DFO wrote which I have posted. He put me on hold for some time (reading the article I guess) then asked if he could phone me back which he did! The call back was short, explained to me someone with more knowledge would phone back. A 'Anne' called me back, passed of my concerns to downtown to the invasion of species dept. as she herself was not up to date as well. So I am now awaiting that return. People have tried to raise these fish in lakes, streams, and rivers. The U.S have undercover agents stopping the import of these fish. There have now been reports of the Snakehead migrating into the Missippi and Eastern lakes and streams.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...TorontoNewHome

We need to take a stand on these fishing imports and preserve our home waters. I encourage you all to raise concern.
Happy fishing
Smelly2u

Highly invasive and should not be allowed in Canada period. Very devastating to all ecosystems these fish reach. It was this exact way that snakeheads have destroyed entire eco systems. DFO should immediately be headed to the Richmond store. A known fact is that asians deliberately set these free because there is a high demand in the asian market for the meat so they try and populate the waters with them in the US.

How much just buy and kill

Highly invasive and should not be allowed in Canada period. Very devastating to all ecosystems these fish reach. It was this exact way that snakeheads have destroyed entire eco systems. DFO should immediately be headed to the Richmond store. A known fact is that asians deliberately set these free because there is a high demand in the asian market for the meat so they try and populate the waters with them in the US.

I think I would just buy them all and kill them in the store and tell them why DFO should get in there ASAP

I think I would just buy them all and kill them in the store and tell them why DFO should get in there ASAP

River Monsters did an episode on them. Scary fish!
Dave

weird, there is a lake near my house called snakehead lake....holmes*
I wouldnt be swimming there if I were you Holmes*
there should be an outright ban on the import of these things, as already mentioned the US is starting to see issues with them in thier river and lake systems, they were deliberately put in the waters in hopes that they would populate to feed the demand of the ethnic societies at a lower cost to the retailer rather then having them shipped in overnight at a high rate of cost, and lets face it there is no secret about how certain societies amongst us will do anything to make that extra dime at any cost with no regard to the land and waters we depend on,
Total BS, I wonder if a letter to Jimmy Pattison about what his stores are importing might ring some bells, as shrude a business man as he is, he loves his county and I dont think would want to do any harm to it, in the grand scheme of things I guess it could also jeopardize his own fishing fleets
JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
Snakehead fish

I have seen many Snakehead fish in the tanks there at this store, "LIVE" A store over 70,00 square feet, 29 live tanks, in basically downtown Richmond which is home to a core of 90% Asian culture! The David Suzuki Foundation has sided with this company in hand shaking harvesting "hook and line catch to speak" and now they give us the Limbo Dance in return by selling these Snakeheads!~

They are thriving in Florida but would they here if ever released??

I agree they have no business here, live.. good on ya for following through with a report

saw one for sale in victoria and bought it to keep as a house pet in our uvic college house with the guys, thing was nuts, often leapt out of its tank and we'd find it lying on the floor happily breathing air haha, voracious appetite as well would eat feeder goldfish until its stomach was bulging so much it looked like it would rip open

Dont do it holmes we dont want these things in our waters at all for any reason

Just don't release two...

Smelly, I think the reason your DFO calls where not too successful is the fact that snakehead are a freshwater species therefor under provincial guidelines and not under DFO control. Also "CITES" permits for importing them exist to the best of my knowledge as they are prevalent in the aqurium stores across the province. This might be how these food stores are able to import them live. Just damn wrong if you ask me.

edit for: Found this article. (not sure if it's the one you posted. link didn't work) http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/publications/article/2009/01-06-09-eng.htm

Which says to me reading between lines, DFO doesn't want them, but provincial regulations have the say. DFO is working with "provinces and partners" I read begging. BC and Ontario do not have a snakehead ban.

Last edited by a moderator:
and if some one put these in the stamp, gold or Fraser river and kiss your sporting fishing salmon returns goodbye
thats the point being made really

hatcheries would be a complete waste of time as these thing would just fattern up on anything in the river lake system
depending on there water temp tolerance but after a few seasons there would prob no chance of wiping them out if they got established

Re:snakehead

Call this number ask for the fish department and ask them if they sell live snakehead! (604) 278-3229

There are several stores in victoria selling these as well...

The legislation for invasive fish (and plants for that matter) is very weak, especially when it comes to selling invasive species. So therefore no gov't enforcement body can tackle issues of this nature with any success. I hear that new legislation is being considered for this matter, so now would be the time to send letters to the Minister of Enviroment as well as DFO.

Back